1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Generic How accurate are the laser scanned tracks?

Discussion in 'Console Lounge' started by Snowman38, Dec 23, 2016.

1. Snowman38

Snowman38 Hardcore Simmer

So I'm just wondering if we could start a thread going into detail about how accurate and realistic the laser scanned tracks are.

In particular, my question comes from some of the small bumps and nuances felt while lapping Nordschleife.. and the car sometimes becoming unsettled from a small dip in the left side of the track, or right side.. and wondering how realistic, and how fine of detail has this laser scan technology picked up.

Also, I could not find a list of "laser scanned" tracks, does anybody know or have a list of laser scanned tracks/configurations?

Thanks for reading!

Alpinefd likes this.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    Physics Bugs & Issues Fuel consumption calculations are almost never accurate Mar 23, 2015
    ACC Gameplay detla / predict lap time not accurate (1.5.0) May 31, 2020
    ACC User Interface Inaccurate Timing ? Mar 24, 2020
    ACC Audio Spotter Stint time Call inaccurate Dec 24, 2019
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars 2018 Audi Land Motorsport Livery inaccurate Dec 18, 2019
    ACC Physics Rear disc temp in Tyres App isn't accurate Oct 25, 2019
    ACC Gameplay v1.1 Inaccurate real time time gap to the car ahead/behind Oct 24, 2019
    Chit Chat Room Am I THAT bad or this the game really Hard/Inaccurate ? Jan 18, 2019
    Graphics and Models/Tracks Bugs & Issues Toyota TS040 3D model not accurate May 19, 2017
    Graphics and Models/Tracks Bugs & Issues Tyre shape and Rim size of GT3RS maybe inaccurate? Jan 30, 2017
    Audio Bugs & Issues Turbos needs more accurate sound Dec 21, 2016
    Physics modding - Cars & Tyres How to get accurate turbocharged engine figures in Assetto Corsa? Jun 19, 2016
    Physics Bugs & Issues Accurate tyre temps Apr 18, 2016
    Graphics and Models/Tracks Bugs & Issues 458's rims a bit inaccurate Apr 6, 2016
    Physics Bugs & Issues Inaccurate damage Nov 6, 2015

3. Blamer

Blamer Hardcore Simmer

From Kunos? All laser scanned but Zandvoort and, of course, Black Cat County

chargingcar likes this.
  4. Snowman38

Historic Silverstone? As far as I can tell, time travel has not been invented.. Also I read somewhere about only half (possibly) of a certain track being scanned, and one of the configurations was not fully scanned due to time constraints or something. Vallelunga I believe.

So again, is there a detailed list that you are aware of?

5. kofotsjanne

kofotsjanne Alien

They have their office at vallelunga so that they didnt have time to scan that one sounds weird. :p

John514, Ace Pumpkin and Hagen like this.
  6. aphidgod

aphidgod Alien

Yes: again, every nonfictional track except Zandvoort. Obviously the historic tracks can't be entirely scanned, as parts of them no longer exist... but that caveat doesn't change the list.

7. Snowman38

I think one of the configurations is closed or something (perhaps it's no longer in use??),. Not positive, but I could have sworn I heard something like this.

8. kofotsjanne

kofotsjanne Alien

Maybe someone that knows can clarify. :)

Snowman38 likes this.
  9. Snowman38

Ok, well, awesome. Now how accurate are they? I've always wondered how this "laser scan" works.. Did it capture bumps in the road? Ruts?

10. aphidgod

aphidgod Alien

Well... that I'm afraid I can't answer that with much more than speculation. :)

The raw scans themselves are probably accurate within a couple cm or better, but such point clouds are immense so clearly some filtering has to be done. As for how that's done and which details remain, I suspect only the track artist can answer that with authority. That said, I'd expect cambers, elevations, undulations, widths and corner radii to be pretty much spot on, with some of the 'detail' bumps sacrificed due to the limitations of the game environment. But again... only guessing.

(Also, just to be pedantic: Trento-Bondone is not scanned either, but I left that out since this is a console thread and you guys didn't get that one.)

Snowman38 and Pleite like this.
  11. ZX636

ZX636 Hardcore Simmer

About Vallelunga:
    "Prior to 2005, “Trincea” was the most challenging bend on the Vallelunga circuit before it was modified to host Formula 1 tests. Trincea (“trench”) is a blind high-speed corner that joins the straight after “Ciminis” to the slower section of the circuit. On the real track, in spite of Trincea being permanently closed, the road is still there and it has been captured in our laser-scan point cloud, which is why we decided to give you the thrill this bend was able to offer, bringing the number of layouts available for “our” home circuit up to three."

And when It comes down to historic tracks, some parts don't exist anymore.
    But if they're there, they can be laserscanned. Monza's banking, for example, has been recreated using that technology (before the resurfacing process, of course). Same goes for the old parts of Spa, Kunos has the laserdata to create a historic version, but, sadly, not enough time to do that.

12. Fat-Alfie

Fat-Alfie Hardcore Simmer

I very much doubt that Magione is laser scanned. The physics mesh looks totally different to all the other tracks. Just a mesh 7 rows of polys wide, with no optimisation...

13. kofotsjanne

kofotsjanne Alien

14. Fat-Alfie

I don't think so, no. The physics mesh literally has no bumps. The verts are the same height, all equally spaced... most strange o_O

15. Have you driven on Magione in game? There are most certainly bumps...the back straight features some of the worst in AC....

Ace Pumpkin and Dookie like this.
  16. Fat-Alfie

I meant fine surface bumps, not longitudinal 'ripples'. It really does not look laser scanned to me. Or rather, it does not look optimised.

17. kofotsjanne

kofotsjanne Alien

This software is a playable benchmark that allows gamers to test on their PCs the new DirectX11 graphics engine, the advanced user interface and in-game "App System", as well as the dynamic engine, driving a Lotus Elise SuperCharged on the italian racing track of Magione, reproduced using the Laserscan Technology in order to reproduce it at the maximum fidelity.

18. Snowman38

There we go!! Thanks ZX636...

and speaking of Monza.. is the banking really THAT bumpy? Seems like a horrible design.

19. kofotsjanne

kofotsjanne Alien

It looks pretty bumpy

20. Snowman38

that's crazy! wow

pippo10 likes this.
  21. Fat-Alfie

But have you looked at the mesh yourself?