1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Generic How accurate are the laser scanned tracks?

Discussion in 'Console Lounge' started by Snowman38, Dec 23, 2016.

1. kofotsjanne

kofotsjanne Alien

No, I havent. I dont even know how-to and dont think that is allowed to discuss here neither?

2. Fat-Alfie

Fat-Alfie Hardcore Simmer

Ok, but we may as well close this thread if discussion is not allowed. Every comment will be pure speculation and pointless :rolleyes:

3. kofotsjanne

kofotsjanne Alien

I meant talking about open files that we are not supposed to open.

4. Epistolarius

Epistolarius Alien

This thread seems familiar somehow...

5. LilSki

LilSki Alien

Just because the mesh doesn't look the same as the other tracks doesn't mean it isn't scanned. In earlier versions the Nurburgring had a pretty simple mesh when compared to what they look like now. They have since updated the mesh and it looks the same as their more recent tracks. They have obviously learned along the way much like we do with our projects. Magione is one of the earliest tracks they did so they simply did things a bit different back then compared to now. Given how it is setup I'm sure it doesn't have the fidelity across the track when compared to their recent tracks but I'm sure it is enough. I would also be willing to bet if you changed Magione to the style of the newer tracks nobody would notice any change at all. I have no doubt that is is built from scan data it is just done in a slightly different way.

EDIT: Also laser scanning technology is constantly changing. Back then the data may not have been as detailed as they are now.

Ace Pumpkin, TDS, kofotsjanne and 2 others like this.
  6. ShredatorFIN

ShredatorFIN Alien

Physical mesh of Imola in Assetto Corsa:

[​IMG]

So it's quite accurate. Of course not original scan accuracy, it's optimized after that. The areas where polys are larger, the track is smoother. And where it counts there is denser polys. But anyway, it's very accurate. And Nordschleife is very bumpy track. Zandvoort is not scanned, rest of real (modern) tracks are AFAIK. Even Sopraelevata in historic Monza is scanned because that bit of road still exists, it's just not in use. If you feel bumps in Nords in certain spot it's because there is bump there IRL.

Physical mesh means it affects the physics, but is invisible in game. The visual mesh has textures and is much simpler one, but physics or FFB aren't affected by that.

Vibe Style, breyzipp and Snowman38 like this.
  7. Ace Pumpkin

Ace Pumpkin Alien

As far as I know the Kurzanbindung (shortcut) at Nürburgring short isn't laserscanned also.

Snowman38 likes this.
  8. Anyone know about the shortcut section at Silverstone International? It seems very bumpy, more so than any videos Ive seen IRL.

Not sure how accurate that bit is, always seemed a bit 'low res' to me.

9. breyzipp

breyzipp Gamer

So, summary :

everything currently on consoles is laser scanned, except :
    - black cat county (fictional track)
    - Zandvoort (why didn't they scan this?)
    - historic Silverstone (check google maps, some chunks of the historical track simply don't exist anymore)

I assume the recently released Red Bull Ring was scanned too?
    Not sure about those remarks about Nurburgring shortcut but perhaps that shortcut was blocked while they were there to scan the track?

10. ShredatorFIN

ShredatorFIN Alien

Yes Red Bull Ring is scanned. It's quite smooth though, since it was resurfaced quite recently before the scanning. Kunos hasn't charged money for non-scanned tracks, and probably will continue same policy. Zandvoort was free DLC for PC users, added later. It's by modder, Kunos bought his work and did some of their own finishing touches. But it received mixed reception (already before it was released, only announced) because many thought AC should have only laser scanned tracks. And Kunos have later said, that they probably won't release anymore real existing tracks that aren't scanned, due to this backlash

breyzipp and ZX636 like this.
  11. dougyboy

dougyboy Rookie

BATHURST.

If Assetto Corsa Bathurst track is claimed to be Laser scanned the same way Iracing has done it, I'll call B.S. Do yourselves a favor and just compare via YT at Skyline, at the overhead advertising, the real from the different sims in car. You will see that IRacing is the closest to real, followed by Project Cars 2, then Assetto Corsa running a tossup between Rfactor2. Both are pretty bad. but RFactor2 doesn't claim that they are "Laser Scanned". That track right there is so steep it's hard to walk up. Seeing it in real life, you will appreciate the balls you need to go down there at any speed. "be careful what you accept as "laser-scanned" as there are many ways. NASA does Laser Scanning, SRTM. There Lasar hits the ground every 30 Mtrs and takes a reading. You have to fill in the rest. Something that is lasered from space is totally different than walking the track and using a special camera.
    P.S I'm not a fanboy of any RaceSim Program, They all have their good points, I like them all. And I haven't been a member of Iracing for a year.

12. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

There's no official Bathurst in AC.

Ace Pumpkin and Epistolarius like this.
  13. Ace Pumpkin

Ace Pumpkin Alien

Do you even own the sim?
    Mount Panorama for ACC isn’t even released yet, DUDE.

There were times unregistered Trolls couldn’t even post here, good times that where...

14. sissydriver

sissydriver Alien

this is really crazy these days o_O
    taking the time to write a relatively long contribution, but obviously without any claim to truth and sincerity. :confused:
    bull**** at its best. :rolleyes:
    this will go down in history as the age of the idiots.:p