1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Let's talk Lotus 98T

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by chakko, Feb 17, 2017.

1. chakko

chakko Alien

One of the very few cars i dislike in AC. It looks lovely on onboard videos from the times when it raced in F1. But in AC, i just don't get a good feeling with it. The FFB feels very "light" with it, and the bounce of the rear seems a bit artificial... mod like. I had high expectations when i drove it the first time, and thought i would enjoy it as much, or more, as the Lotus 72D, or the Ferrari 312T. But, nope, never really vibed with it.

What is your opinion about it?

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Hardware Discussions Giving back for ACC 1.8: Let's talk about multi-class, multi-hour, full grid simulation? Dec 10, 2021
    ACC Physics Let's talk about spins... Apr 2, 2021
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Let's talk multiplayer/online servers Jul 11, 2020
    ACC General Discussions Let's talk about broadcasting (user's thread) Dec 12, 2018
    ACC General Discussions Let's talk about broadcasting (programmer's thread) Dec 12, 2018
    Console Lounge Let's talk vote to kick Mar 18, 2017
    Console Lounge Quick race weekend (let's talk abou it Vol.1) Feb 24, 2017
    Console Lounge Porsche Cayman GT4 - Let's talk gearing Jan 16, 2017
    Console Lounge Let's talk about rage quitters... Dec 9, 2016
    Chit Chat Room 935/78 - Let's talk setup and driving Oct 30, 2016
    Console Lounge Let's talk about braking Oct 6, 2016
    Suggestions Let's talk weather (I am not asking for rain). Aug 15, 2016
    Chit Chat Room Let's talk wheels...again. why not? Aug 27, 2014
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Let's hope this does the trick Dec 16, 2022
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Let's do something, this is going to get ugly...(Servers) Aug 3, 2020

3. chakko

chakko Alien

Also check this:

And note, how James Hunt also states that the steering must feel quite heavy on the car. Don't feel that in AC. Feels much too light. I'd expect it to feel more like the Lotus 72D.

4. Trezoitao38

Trezoitao38 Simracer

I disagree. For me the Lotus 98t shows to me Assetto Corsa the best sim for open wheeler cars, I think the same with the Lotus Exos 125 and the two F1 Ferraris of Kunos. Better than overall mods.

And this car on Mugello is pure crazyness.

TDS likes this.
  5. chakko

chakko Alien

I agree that AC is the best open wheeler simulation (i like all the other open wheelers). If only i could love the Lotus 98T, i'm really trying too. :( Saying that, i haven't tried it yet with the V10 tyres. Maybe it has changed for the better for me.

6. Its got way too much grip tho.

7. flyingpig

flyingpig Hardcore Simmer

Not my favourite car in AC, but it sure is the car I`ve had most fun in.

For maximum lunacy, download the excellent Bridgehampton track, max the boost, and keep the loud pedal down through the corners. It`s absolutely exhilarating.

8. yusupov

yusupov Alien

not sure why you'd make this thread before trying it after its had a revision...

anyway, 'light' compared to what? i just drove it & the 312t back to back; it's heavier than the ferrari. i may even be clipping w/ the 98T at equivalent settings, or at least on the edge, bc for me it could feel quite numb, certainly compared to that video. maybe its accurate to the car or the defalt setup, idk.. speaking of car setup, if you watch the video of senna's qualifying lap @ adelaide you can see how much his car was bottoming out. that may explain some of dumfries corrections. anyway, it felt a bit floaty to me but certainly not light, especially at speed.

it's also an entirely different animal from the early-mid '70s cars, which are going to slide around some. there must've been unprecedented amounts of aero downforce in '86...the drag was certainly immense. 2:1 power to weight ratio & senna could only hit 330km/h at monza.

9. yusupov

yusupov Alien

go to 1 hour 18mins in. 55 glorious seconds & then a portent of things to come...

DaveS78 and fbiehne like this.
  10. yusupov

yusupov Alien

noticed something weird, AC's car physics only shows 4.0 bar boost @ 100%, which is closer to race than qualifying levels if accurate.

11. Isn't there just a 0.5 bar missing then? If I remember correctly regulations said 5,5 absolute bar. Can be wrong though.

Edit: And it seems like I was wrong. :)

From Wikipedia:
    "Power figures for this period of F1 history are largely speculative as most engine manufactures freely admitted that their test beds would not have a sufficient power rating to measure the 1.5 litre turbos output at above 4 bar boost. It is claimed that the Renault EF15B in its pinnacle increment produced around 1200 HP at unrestricted boost pressure, thus making it one of the most powerful engines ever used in Formula 1 history. "

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  12. Berniyh

Berniyh Alien

If you've got a light FFB, you likely tuned down the FFB strength for it. That happens if you use FFBClip to tune the FFB for the individual cars.
    The thing is that due to the high downforce you will run into clipping situations much more often than for lower downforce cars and thus FFBClip would tune the FFB strength down more or at least would suggest it.
    For me, the auto mode around Nords ended up at around 40% FFB gain, while other cars were more in the range of 60-80%.
    Thus, I think to get a clipping free, strong FFB, you need a strong wheel (DD wheel, maybe CSWv2). Otherwise you will just have to live with clipping or a low FFB gain.

Apart from that, the 98T is definitely a bit easier to drive on v10 tyres, but still it does require one to adapt the driving style.
    While in most cars you can go in Felipe-Massa-Mode over any curbs you see, in this one the fastest way is often to avoid them completely.
    The reason for that is that this car is a ground-effect car and thus creates huge amounts of downforce through the underfloor. If you lift that off the ground (read: drive over a curb), you lose downforce and thus the car might get unsettled.
    Due to the ground-effect, this effect is more pronounced than in modern F1 cars.

Edit: Attached my replay file from yesterdays short hotlap run around Nords.
    Keep in mind that that was only my second lap in the car in about half a year or so and also didn't adjust the setup yet for v10 tyres.
    Pretty sure I can go faster, because half a year ago I did a 7:08 there at 96% grip (ALOOG6 event).
    But it should give you an idea how to drive the car, if you're interested.
    Also sorry, can't make a video out of the replay, because somehow I fail to find working settings to record replays. :(
    I hope I can resolve that soon.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  13. mantasisg 2

mantasisg 2 Alien

I like 98T a lot, as well as many other cars. But I just can't "just" drive it, I have to prepare for it, switch to higher focus mode. Even in simulator it is not so easy to let yourself to hit curves THAT fast, because it can make it, and it isn't easy to believe it.

I'm not the best one to judge 98T, because I was mostly hotlaping it at Brands hatch on high grip with qualification tyre compound, trying to climb higher in RSR fastest laps lol

I wouldn't say that it is faster now, but it seems to be less load sensitive, I can mash the throttle with more confidence now, less carefully. Thats about Q compound. I improved my Brands PB by 0.5s even though I was quite tired at a time, and it is not exactly the car which you drive when tired, I was constantly turning too early at Hawthorne bend, it can do it full throttle if you can react :D

I think it is awesome to race 98T AI

14. Atle Dreier

Atle Dreier Alien

If you think the L98T FFB is weak you're doing something wrong. It's by far the most dynamic car in the game, but you have to have the equipment to enjoy it. It's pay to play in this car. It's the only car that bring my OSW close to clipping. It is also the car I use to demo Assetto Corsa to friends who want to try out the direct drive wheel. It peaks at around 44N of force at the rim with my current settings, and that is substantial. It's aslo one of the cars that keep most of the "feel" even in high downforce situations, and it feels amazing. You feel every bump and nuance even when the car is literally squashed ito the ground by air and inertia. One of my favourite cars, but my brain can't keep up with it for long, and neither have I got the stamina for it. How they drove full race distances with these cars is a riddle.

Trezoitao38 and cerebralvortex like this.
  15. Trezoitao38

Trezoitao38 Simracer

The ground effects cars were banned for 1982 season. The Lotus 98t have a diffuser only behind the rear axle. Works similar nowadays F1 cars.

What this car have different is the mufler below the diffuser. The nowadays cars, have the mufler above the diffuser.

I remember Aris or other Kunos member staff saying something about this, the car can suddenly loose the downforce.

16. Dessu

Dessu Racer

Tested it yesterday and the FFB feels quite light, but gets heavier on fast speeds as i would expect.

17. chakko

chakko Alien

Thanks guys. I'll give it another ride the next days. Maybe i get some more "feeling" then. :)

18. Trezoitao38

Trezoitao38 Simracer

Changes on 1.12.1 for 98t:

- Fixed Lotus 98T yellow tyre wear indicator on new tyres.
    - Updated Lotus 98T performance envelope by tyres, diffuser and front wing ride height sensitivity and other changes.

19. yusupov

yusupov Alien

im still curious about the boost; is aris a skeptic or is it a workaround? @Aristotelis if he has time

20. ziozeus

ziozeus Racer

- Updated Lotus 98T performance envelope by tyres, diffuser and front wing ride height sensitivity and other changes

To everyone
    Please try this car again if you love it as a classic.
    Now it's no longer an airplane in fast turns and not that much sensitive to aero changes in the front wheels with different velocities as before, which made it so difficult to find a car balance in the setup for the different turns in the various tracks.
    Also you have more grip and more front tyres feeling in slow turns
    Really another car.
    A car, indeed. A car you can drive for real.

Really beautiful!
    I think I will drive this a lot now.

Trezoitao38 likes this.
  21. Trezoitao38

Trezoitao38 Simracer

So, you put more or less downforce on front wings?