1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

I guess implementing of vive VR should be more interesting than i expected..

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by hazardic, Mar 2, 2017.

1. hazardic

hazardic Alien

Because ta-daam - the new oculus and vive contender, which utilizes Steam library - the new LG VR - developer version yet but already looking much better than rift and vive (techs and overall usability) https://uploadvr.com/gdc-2017-hands-lgs-steamvr-headset/
    I believe the option to use steam vr hmd or oculus could be pretty astonishing - because personally the rift monopoly frustrates me:D
    Really hope it would be interesting for Aris & Stefano (as general lobbiysts of vr in ac:D)

Horus likes this.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC General Discussions Well I'm out I guess... Sep 14, 2018
    Chit Chat Room Dream pack #3 guesses Nov 25, 2015
    Chit Chat Room Guessing game time...... Aug 26, 2014
    Chit Chat Room Guess who I met today Jun 8, 2014
    Chit Chat Room Release 1.0 Final - Guess a date! XD Feb 24, 2014
    Physics modding - Cars & Tyres Implementing multilink suspension Oct 6, 2021
    Chit Chat Room How many more updates before finally implementing setup sharing? Oct 11, 2015
    Suggestions If you're thinking about implementing Steam cards: my suggestions Nov 18, 2013

3. kofotsjanne

kofotsjanne Alien

Will this automatically work for games on Steam that are supporting VR since it "utilizes steam library"? Im not sure what those words mean exactly. :)

4. hazardic

hazardic Alien

i mean lg and vive will work in one ecosystem, so i don't really familiar with development process and what is needed for it, but in this case vive and lg uses pretty same tools for their effect

5. Tberg

Tberg Alien

Vive, Rift, LG, StarVR (now Imax only) and Pimax4K already...

Yeah, things will surely get crazy for us mortals pretty soon.

Anybody seen the show Black Mirror? :p

Kopiller likes this.
  6. John Gordon

John Gordon Hardcore Simmer

Charlie Booker is a genius. Black mirror has a strong George Orwell vibe to it. Great show.

Rosko likes this.
  7. hazardic

hazardic Alien

starvr is useless for ac, and pimax4k is a crap:D

8. Tberg

Tberg Alien

It is, but when that 200+ FOV and 4K res comes in with the quality and tracking of Vive/Rift, that´s when I´ll get a new rig+HMD. Already saving :p

9. hazardic

hazardic Alien

i can assure you, this will not be fast. you can simply lost your faith in ac during this decade or just get bored to wait:D:p

10. Tberg

Tberg Alien

10years really? Well, I think maybe the FOV will not be 200+ for consumer products just yet, but bigger than current 110 degree FOV and 4K is certainly just around the corner, I´m sure. Maybe 2-3 years. The tech is already here, we just need it in a complete package and in the right pricerange.
    Just in time for AC2 :D

11. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Simracer

All I want is for them to step away from proprietary solutions. Too much tie-in with Facebook, Steam etc. for my liking.

12. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek Alien

At this time, VR is dependent on game store integration; it's easy to forget that most players are not Simulation fans; they demand games, new ones constantly and VR titles tend to be short and get boring quite quickly. VR-gaming can not survive without easy access to fun VR titles and that's where most money for companies invested in VR comes from.

jim jones likes this.
  13. Kopiller

Kopiller Simracer

505 Games is StarVR official partner.....

14. detoit

detoit Racer

you're forgetting an important factor, GPU's.. The current vive/oculus are already more than the most robust systems can handle. In order to do 4K and 90fps you'll need something literally 3-4 times as fast as a 1080gtx. So I am not sure the tech is really here yet.

I'm guessing if a 4K headset came out that was at all decent you'd literally have to turn off everything in AC to get it working properly.. literally low environments, no shadows, no reflections... etc

What we should hope for is better field of view like your suggesting and MUCH better glass. The oculus is terrible as it has chromatic aberrations everywhere off center. The vive is a bit better but top and bottom are soft as can be - again due to the glass/prism..

I hope next gen will focus on those two things over resolution we can't use.

Nathan

Typer, Mogster and Andrew_WOT like this.
  15. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek Alien

These are complicated issues to solve; increased FOV only amplifies resolution limitations; increased resolution requires huge increases in processing power; processing demands require a much larger data bus / pipeline . . .

Without major advancements in GPU and data transfer (Wireless) free of increased latency, VR's best promise for the near-term may lie with Foveated Rendering / eye-tracking.

Why? Our eyes naturally focus on a very small area within our view and the surrounding area becomes progressively less focused out to the periphery. Foveated-Rendering / Eye-Tracking can emulate that natural function of human vision - it's already being done. The challenge is doing so without increasing latency, weight and adding more cost to hardware that is already too costly for many.

Aside from the natural viewing benefits of this technology, the amount of processing and throughput required is significantly reduced because only the main focal area needs to be rendered at high resolution and the surrounding area can be of progressively lower resolution; this also has the benefit of being able to increase the overall FOV substantially to great affect. The challenges then come back to larger high-res, super light weight displays and ultra high quality optics - all produced at low cost.

In either case, whether pushing more pixels or total cutting-edge tech is implemented - it's going to take years to solve these issues, and especially in ways that are affordable for more people. Until then, VR is going to take "baby-steps" in slow, gradual improvements in quality, comfort, practical applications, and cost.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
    Typer, kofotsjanne and mms like this.
  16. RReed43

RReed43 Hardcore Simmer

The visual effect of 4K in VR is not the same as 4K on a monitor. When the display is located a couple of inches from our eyes and viewed through a lens then the pixel density required to not be pixelated goes considerable above 4K per display. To illustrate, the current Rift and Vive displays are higher pixel density than 1080p yet the picture quality is significantly lower and noticeable pixelated in comparison to a 1080p monitor viewed at a couple of feet.

The issue is what is the pixel density necessary to be below the retinal spacing in our eyes... the effect that Apple calls a "retinal display". I haven't heard anyone quote what the necessary density is but I know it is beyond a 4K display.

Dean Ogurek and mms like this.
  17. Tberg

Tberg Alien

Not at all forgetting GPU, I`m actually quite informed, for what it´s worth. The reason I don´t mention, that a heavy GPU upgrade has to be "discovered", is that it´s not all horsepower. The software is, and maybe, more important.

Just read the tech that Nvidia is offering, which of cause isn´t featured in AC:
    http://www.geforce.co.uk/hardware/technology/vr/technology

Now we have the 1080TI coming out, adding maybe 10-30% to the normal 1080, along with constant software improvements.
    Imagine 2 more years of Nvidia working on GPU and VRWorks, while the gamingindustry constantly pushes forward with engines.

I´m optimistic that VR is here to stay and improve, although we still need the games to deliver. For all I have tried, AC is still among the best VR experiences, compared to all other games that is actually build for VR.
    With loads of new sims and sequals coming up, like Dirt4, Pcars2, GTR3 etc, the simracing genre surely gives VR a helping hand.

Cheers!

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
    Phil64 and detoit like this.
  18. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek Alien

Great points although, it's uncertain if Dirt4 will get VR support - it would be a shame if it doesn't. Of all racing genres, I think Rally is perhaps, most benefited by using VR; for those that can stomach it anyway. :D

19. Tberg

Tberg Alien

Yeah, I still can´t play Dirt Rally in VR, it´s just....too much :p

cerebralvortex likes this.
  20. Rosko

Rosko Hardcore Simmer

Seems to me Oculus Rift/Facebook is the new Microsoft. There was a time when Bill Gates was the devil now its Zuckerberg & Lucky. I think humans like to put people in boxes they like to simplify & categorise. I don' think LG or HTC have any moral high ground they are just doing the same thing trying to make a bunch of money. LG is some way off but is definitely looking better than whats on offer. Question is will vive or oculus present something to challenge it? I hope so.

21. Tberg

Tberg Alien

Yeah, so much for having an idea, a passion for realizing it and actually do it....only for time to consume everything, and everyone ends up calling you the worst.

Same old same old