1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Cheapest (Real) Classic Car To Run?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by iannixxenakis, Jul 1, 2017.

1. iannixxenakis

iannixxenakis Hardcore Simmer

Anyone know anything about old (real) cars here? (Sorry this isn't a sim question.)

I'm getting my driving license in the next few months (finally) and after looking at car insurance quotes the cheapest deal would be to buy a 'classic car'.

I was looking at something from the 80s to early 90s.

Any tips on something that will be fairly cheap to buy (£2.5k and below) and cheap to repair? (Not too bothered about fuel as I won't drive that many miles in it).

Could be a sports car or something more sensible.

It's weird that something modern and sensible like a 2007ish Volvo V50 will cost me about £1800 per year to insure but a 1990 Celica Gt4 would be more like £950.

2. TheReaper GT

TheReaper GT Racer

E 30 bmw, mazda miata :D

3. McGregor

McGregor Gamer

Wait. 80s and early 90s cars are classic now? I guess I should've seen it coming when Nirvana started getting played on the classic rock stations. I'm gonna go check for gray hairs in the mirror now.

Racing_34, Paratus, Berniyh and 4 others like this.
  4. iannixxenakis

Would love either of those.

E30s seem to be fairly expensive in the UK now unfortunately.

The MX-5 (as it's called here) would be good but my other half would probably leave me if I bought one as it only has two seats and she wants me to get something for the family.

So I probably should be looking for something with 4 seats minimum, oh and I don't want an auto gearbox as that would be boring :)

5. Schnipp

Schnipp Alien

It might not be sporty, but maybe a Mercedes 190E.

6. St3fan

St3fan Alien

You might also be able to find a decent Porsche 944. or not (suddenly I remembered a Top Gear episode)
    Nissan 240, 300.
    Old Prelude or Integra, CRX
    Toyota Celica is actually an often-overlooked good fun car

Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
    iannixxenakis likes this.
  7. TheReaper GT

TheReaper GT Racer

What about an e30 touring?

8. iannixxenakis

Thanks all.

I was looking at a 190E last night on Auto Trader. They seem quite reasonably priced and would remind me of the Evo version :)

Anyone know about spare parts prices and running costs for 190E's?

Also consisering older Toyotas and Hondas and Nissans. Saw a nice Supra 3.0l recently online for about £2.5k.

Again, not sure about running costs and spares for those cars.

Re E30 Touring, still expensive here for one that isn't a wreck.

Seria17hri11er likes this.
  9. Torcano

Torcano Alien

Ayy, no love for old Volvo wagons ova' here. Look for an old 850 T5 estate, those things are quite the all rounders being huge, practical and fun old BTCC Flying Bricks. Found one on gumtree for £1500. Here be the link.
    https://www.gumtree.com/p/volvo/volvo-850-t5-turbo-manual-rare-may-swap-/1251960704

You could go for an R version of it, but they are generally a lot more expensive since they are the real deal and are as "collectible" as it gets for a family estate car lol.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
    Seria17hri11er and iannixxenakis like this.
  10. Mr.Mugel

Mr.Mugel Alien

I´m thinking about the same from time to time, as I soon need to buy my first car, a bit interesting for an automotive engineer and car enthusiast to do it at 28 years old, but it never fitted yet.

An E30 would be awesome, but finding one in original state without too much mileage is pretty hard here in germany. And they´re expensive, too. I´ve also looked at 944s, as they aren´t that expensive for a Porsche. Don´t know too much about their reliability at higher mileages, though.

Would like going oldschool, bad thing is that it´s very hard to find a place here with an included garage big enough for working on the car.

iannixxenakis and Seria17hri11er like this.
  11. iannixxenakis

Thanks for the Volvo link.

I'd deffo be happy with one of those (I'd really like a brand new XC70 Cross Country).

However 1997 is too modern I think. I tried adding older Volvo estates like the 240 and 740 into price comparison sites a while ago but they didn't appear to qualify for classic car insurance (guessing, as they were still expensive compared to more sporty cars).

Mr.Mugel: similar to you but I'm nearly 40 and still can't drive :-/

Never really needed to until I had kids.

I'm not an engineer and don't plan to do any work on the car I buy. Maybe just simple stuff like changing bulbs etc, and possibly painting flames down the side.

I've seen a few 944s here for around £3500ish that look alright. 924s are a bit cheaper.

A 944 would be nice as it sort of has 4 seats, the rear seats are probably big enough for small kids.

I was looking at a Saab 900 too, those seem quite reasonably priced.

Again, no idea how expensive or available the parts are.

Still currently leaning towards an old Merc I think like the 190E or an older similar saloon.

I know if well maintained they can do a stupid amount of miles before they finally die.

12. This.

Or anything Japanese. Watch out about some of the Euro stuff, maintenance can bite you in the a** sometimes. Most 80s/90s lower end BMWs are ok, but Mercs not so much. If you need something family friendly, how about a Volvo 240 manual, either sedan or wagon ?

13. PhilS13

PhilS13 Alien

Yup. Been looking for those two as a beat up don't care much about it, fun & track car.

Here the old farts owning the Miatas think they are some sort of Ferraris or smth.
    The E30s are rare as f. I owned the perfect one for that job 3 years ago but parted it out...fml.

Seria17hri11er and iannixxenakis like this.
  14. iannixxenakis

Thanks.

So a Merc 190E could be pricey if anything goes wrong?

A Volvo 240 would be fine (my dad had one lols). However they don't seem to qualify for classic car insurance on the price comparison sites I've tried so far.

Are old Volvos cheaper to maintain or fix than an old Merc?

15. iannixxenakis

Oh also I should say I'm in the UK so European car parts might not be as expensive as in other parts of the world (although after Brexit who knows).

16. I'd get the Volvo way before a Merc haha.

With chrome accents, oversized wheels and other ugly a** sh*t yeah hahahaha. Omg it's so bad. Trying to sell their Canadian Tire riced up shortnose NA6 10k $.

Seria17hri11er and PhilS13 like this.
  17. Yohnny240

Yohnny240 Hardcore Simmer

They are both simple technology to work with and should have okay priced parts but (like any car of that age) it needs to be well maintained individual or things can get difficult.

Alfa Romeo 75 would be real beauty but I have some doubts about the reliability. :rolleyes:

18. I recommend BMWs from the 80s. I will just share with you my experience on 2 80's BMWs I have owned. I just bought a 1988 BMW 535i (E28) a few months back.

Originally an automatic with an M30B34. Now it's got a M30B35 3.5 liter from an E34 535i with Getrag 260 manual. It was also lowered on Eibach springs and Bilstein struts. No correction to the suspension geometry. I installed strut spacers on the front to correct that. Now I need to put some eccentric bushings in the rear, or get the trailing arms tabbed and adjusted to correct the excess negative camber--my dad said it looks Cholo as fu**, lol. I have also replaced the Air Flow Meter with a Mass Air Flow sensor. I had to replace the tires as they were dry rotted. Also replaced worn out steering wheel with reconditioned M Tech II wheel, and installed new shift handle. Replaced the O2 sensor as it's heater wasn't working and wouldn't pass emissions. Taking it to the shop next week to get the catalytic converter cut out, and a Magnaflow welded in since emissions were so high.

Previously I owned an 87 325i (E30), convertible, automatic. Very reliable. Great handling. Heavy though because it was a convertible, and not really quick because of the sh** auto box.

This E28 is great fun. Feels much more sporty with the lowered and stiff suspension plus manual gearbox. I can really feel what the car is doing. The rear end is a little squirrely because of the excess negative camber but it's nothing scary and is fun. The car is quite communicative. So is the E30. Not sure if you know of the YT channel "The Smoking Tire" but he preferred the E28 M5 over the E30 M3.

I picked up the E30 325i in 2006 for $4500 USD. Which was probably too much. Dampers were shot, so were their mounts, hole in catalytic converter, some holes in muffler, front end (control arms etc) were pretty much shot, and wheel bearings sh*t the bed after about a year. Cost for me to fix all that stuff myself ended up being about $1800. Also ended up replacing brake master cylinder.

Picked up the the E28 535i about 4 months ago for the same price; $4500. Besides what I already mentioned above, the clutch will need to be replaced soon enough. Oh, it has bigger rims and tires than stock. Nothing ridiculous; just right. I plan on turboing this mofo, putting in a Miller WAR Chip, enlarging the intake manifold, and porting the intake manifold.

arthur666 and iannixxenakis like this.
  19. Well, 80s are 30+ years old now bruh, lol. My 88 E28 will be 30 next year. I was born in 84. When I was a kid it seemed to me that later than 70s was "classic". But maybe I'm tripping.

20. Kristaps

Kristaps Alien