1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Anybody agree with me that VR is a huge advantage?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by rpm, Sep 5, 2017.

1. Salajutsu

Salajutsu Hardcore Simmer

I went from painstaking triple screen setup to VR and honestly, I will have to agree with the advantage. Not that....you get major time off of your laps. It made me more RACEABLE. I was closer, more in the fight than ever before because of the perception. It's flawless.
    I took down my triple screens to let a friend use a good monitor. I DO miss them, but not for sim racing anymore. More like games like Rocket League where the FOV and peripheral vision really helped.

Tiago Fortuna likes this.
  2. Fat Rich

Fat Rich Hardcore Simmer

I went faster when I got triple screens, the extra peripheral vision allows me to judge yaw angles and catch slides earlier... also can see apexes and exit points on tight corners, plus cars racing alongside.

Same story with the Rift..... but I'm setting the same laptimes as with the triples, no faster.

A big improvement over a single monitor though.... as usual in motorsport, the more cash you spend, the faster you'll go ;)

3. TheReaper GT

TheReaper GT Racer

Pointless discussion here. Every system is different and from one point of view, the other's system could give advantages. One have better graphics, with higher FPS, other have triples, other VR, other a pad, other a DD wheel.. It's the kind of thing that is what it is and if you can't buy the things that give you what you think is advantage, it's your problem. On the other hand there are some people that is fast as f*** with a single display, a pad and onboard graphics... So, again, pointless.

4. Trezoitao38

Trezoitao38 Simracer

Not, 144 hz monitor is a really big advantage.

5. bondyboy

bondyboy Alien

More so than an Oculus? ;) (ex 144Hz triple screen user here btw)

6. henri

henri Hardcore Simmer

Whatever new toys you buy you probably start to drive more -> better lap times. :rolleyes:

7. Whipdiddywhip

Whipdiddywhip Simracer

the only thing that will trump vr is a holodeck

8. Trezoitao38

Trezoitao38 Simracer

Turn the whell, apply brakes and gas 10, 20, 30 ms later is a big advantage on my opinion.

It is easier to correct any oversteering with a high refresh monitor. Easier to reach apex too.

9. Tiago Fortuna

Tiago Fortuna Simracer

I have hundreds of gaming hours in one screen, thousands in triples and not even close to 100 in VR... I was immediately faster in VR.

Cote Dazur likes this.
  10. Trezoitao38

Trezoitao38 Simracer

Tripple screens probably cause some higher time response.

The best stituation ins a 21:9 monitor with a high refresh rate and some tecnnology like Gsync or Freesync.

When the VR have at least 120 hz refresh rate and a technology like Gsync or Freesync, will be better.

11. Tiago Fortuna

Tiago Fortuna Simracer

Refresh doesn't matter in simracing as far as I'm concerned.

In FPS, YES and even then you'll.

VR advantage is the depth perception. You can judge much better about the car dimensions and distances and it's easier to hit the apexes (by quite a bit really). You can nail those brake markers more consistently.

YMMV

Meaning, you just become faster because you can judge better not because you developed instant driving skills :)

12. unknwn

unknwn Alien

As VR tries to mimic RL world view/perception and if it suceeds at you instantly should feel "at home" because you experience this/similar view and perception in you daily life for many years. While driving on 1 screen requires special skills that you learn by playing computer games.
    I think it would be more appropriate to say that 2d screen puts you at disadvantage relatively to what is expected when driving a car instead of saying that VR provides you advantage. Although that's just a words play.;)
    TLDR: VR is better at simulating driving compared to 2d screens.

13. Bo-Göran Larsson

Bo-Göran Larsson Hardcore Simmer

No I have to drive like a granny or else I puke.

14. unknwn

unknwn Alien

Some people (often kids) puke in the car especially if its moving backwards and its hot :D

15. Full_Ninja

Full_Ninja Racer

Sounds
    Sounds like you would like the Crew Chief mod.

16. Full_Ninja

Full_Ninja Racer

You people use a screen? That's cheating. I only race by sound. Jk

Guidofoc likes this.
  17. Full_Ninja

Full_Ninja Racer

Not just depth perception but scale. Everything is 1:1 life size.

18. Trezoitao38

Trezoitao38 Simracer

You can see better the turn in, apex and turn out points with VR, I agree.

But it doesnt matter. If you see, but see later, you brake in a incorrect point, turn the steering in the incorrect point etc.

Its not about you can see, but when you see.

When I change from a 60 hz simple monitor to a 144 hz monitor with gsync I brake 10 metters later on every track. In reality, I brake at the same point. But, when I am on the mark of 100 metters, I still see the 110 metters mark on a 60 hz monitor. For braking is not a huge problem. But when you have to make decisions to reach cm of distance, matters a lot. I became a new driver with the 144 hz monitor.

19. unknwn

unknwn Alien

Doesn't really matter muchs, because in the long run you will adapt to your screen latency and just naturally start braking earlier (i.e. find another braking point or brake 10meters before your braking point where would you would expect it to be with lower latency), because the point of braking is predictable unlike contact movement in FPS shooters.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
  20. Trezoitao38

Trezoitao38 Simracer

Brake is not the only problem. Feel the car understeering because of latency, and when the car is become oversteering because your steering inputs, you still moving the steering to the side of the corner and late countersteering.

When I bought the 144 hz monitor the Drift challenges of Special Events become very easy. Try to do the same on a TV, for example, you can see the difference.

Chicanes is another problem, when you have to do one corner to one side and them to the other side. Latency ruins everything.