1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Welcome Kevin "Minolin" in KS

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by stefanoCasillo, Feb 22, 2018.

1. mibrandt

mibrandt Hardcore Simmer

Great news - congratulations to Kevin "Minolin" and Kunos ! :)

2. Whipdiddywhip

Whipdiddywhip Simracer

pcars 2 proved a rating system alone means nothing, it needs organisation like iracing

but congrats on the job

Naer and brioche like this.
  3. brioche

brioche Racer

Grats :).

4. Skybird

Skybird Alien

Good to read that Kunos team is still hiring, and staff I only heard good things about.

So many promising little details and hints revealed in Marco's recent interview that some good guy was so kind to translate into English (and post at RD forums). ACC promises to become something special.

5. andrea_gi

andrea_gi Alien

congrats! full deserved

6. chargingcar

chargingcar Alien

I had to actually look who Kevin was , so congrats to Kevin on the official job title ,
    kinda surprised @the_meco has not been given the same opportunity , but like I say well done Kevin .

7. the meco was hired years ago IIRC

Edit: I think I already told you, but if not, CONGRATS MINO!!!!!! (and wifey)

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
    luchian likes this.
  8. the_meco

the_meco Alien

Yes I've been working with Kunos for a while, @chargingcar knows this... anyways this is great news for ACC and Kunos, congrats to Kevin. Well deserved!

6S.Manu, Dookie, Minolin and 3 others like this.
  9. Horus

Horus Alien

Well done to Minolin, he is a very clever guy, and very patient (I know as I have been one hell of an annoyance yet he has always been respectful and understanding). I wish him well and look forward to his creative skills shining through the AC packages.

Johnnypenso and Ace Pumpkin like this.
  10. bigbawmcgraw

bigbawmcgraw Alien

That's putting it mildly :oops::D:p;)

11. Congratulations Minolin !

Nice to see involved people integrated the team, a great adventure begin for you :)

Schnipp likes this.
  12. Naer

Naer Gamer

This!! One million times!!

13. Welldone minolin do kunos proud:D

14. Akis Kev

Akis Kev Alien

Great news for both Kunos and @Minolin :D
    The team is getting stronger!!!!

15. Johnnypenso

Johnnypenso Simracer

IMO the success or failure of a more narrowly focused sim as this appears to be, is going to rise and fall on the quality of the racing. The offline stuff will be less attractive to the broader player base because it's narrowly focused. One type of car on 10 tracks or so it appears so far, won't provide you with the same depth and variety as 170 cars on 20+ tracks. So the racing has to be good for the game to succeed, both online and offline. Kevin is going to be instrumental in the success or failure of this game. I don't think the standard algorithms available in games like iRacing, PCars, GTSport etc. are going to cut it with a 2019 gaming audience. I do hope a lot of attention is paid to the GTS forums at GTPlanet and the level of frustration that is expressed at how easily the driver rating system can be gamed and racing still is not typically clean at even the highest levels of driver rating. The no fault/equal weighting type of penalty system really drives people nuts and I think ultimately drives many of the good people away from the game.

Of course there ultimately is no way to assign perfect blame in each and every incident but some effort must be made to handle the most obvious trolling attempts that aren't handled well in GTS for example. Drivers being lapped causing chaos by deliberately interfering with leading cars. Braking checking on straights nowhere near corners. Cars running backwards on the track. Drivers with many, many incidents in a single or multiple races and still allowed to continue racing in that same race and beyond.

IMO again, I think there is a great deal of motivation in the community to come with a driver rating system that is seen as more fair, more comprehensive and that attempts to assign some kind of weighting to incidents to make the system more reflective of actual responsibility in incidents. Things like more heavily weighting the penalty to the behind driver in a simple two car incident, in the braking zone or within the corner itself. Even heavier weighting if the speed differential is greater than X or Y. Proper track boundaries and penalties that are seen as fair in relation to the level of cutting in a corner are crucial as well. A 10 second penalty for stepping a foot outside the track limits as you might get in GTS is ridiculous. Allowing someone to simply coast a bit here and there to relieve the penalty is also just as ridiculous. Poorly defined or unrealistical track limits are also unacceptable for a game of this nature.

Seeing as how we are getting a Beta phase I really hope that they use that Beta time to be in constant contact with us willing gamers and use that time to experiment with this sytem to make it as effective as possible. The potential is there to really knock this out of the park with such a tight focus which can then be broadened out to the games with a bigger scope. The talent is there to do it IMO.

16. Typer

Typer Simracer

The rating system in PCars 2 while far from perfect has probably been the biggest draw for me to keep playing the game these past few months. The desire to get up to an S rating just kept me coming back. Now that I’ve got there however, I’ve found myself coming back to AC for the physics (I wanted to give PC2 a fair shot also, so wanted put in a fair few hours anyway). There are still many wreckers though.

I’m sure people will always find a way to game an automated system. I’ve found myself wondering whether it would be possible to incorporate a human review system? Do any other games have this built in? Could players hit a button after an incident to request review from the ‘marshals’. Then at the end of the race, footage of the incident be shown to several other players who weren’t involved, who then vote on any penalties/kicking that might be due.

17. Typer

Typer Simracer

Oh and will ACC be explicit about the rules of racing? I’m sure many a post-race slanging match is down to people not knowing the racing line rules or having different interpretations of them.

18. nonnex

nonnex Alien

A Programmer with creative sense. Good mixture. Nice choice Kunos.
    Wishing You all the best Mino.

19. martcerv

martcerv Alien

I gave up on PC2 early on as I quickly got to A but still couldnt find servers that were stricter then F or U. Running stricter servers got no joiners and also I was not a fan of the driving model and multiple basic bugs it had. To me the rating means nothing its how its used to get a better experiance not as a status symbol which is what the general user seems to think sadly. They like to complain they are rated wrong but then join servers that any rating lets them into even if they were rated way better. Then they also tend to complain the ratings do nothing as people drive terribly in the servers and they want people to for some reason respect their better ratings lol.

With ACC being a more focused title it should avoid the fragmentation seen in most general racing games. This may also make the rating system work better but Minolin has seen how its implemented in AC and PC2 and may have some ideas to get the general user to use it in a better way to help their own experiance.

chksix likes this.
  20. Johnnypenso

Johnnypenso Simracer

My experience in PC2 is about the same. Hard to find anything above D or E and 1000 and lobbies are scarce to begin with. If you give players too many options or let them freewheel they are likely to take the simplest, easiest route that gets them the most racing opportunities. I used to see something similar in GT5/6. Hundreds of lobbies online, most of them cruising or drag racing or circuit racing with RS tires even on 200HP street cars. So I'd start a room with lower powered street cars on street tires and....sit there for an hour driving around alone while one or two people drop in and say, "You suck, where are the racing tires?":mad:

But it really begs the question, if the game is set up so that driver rating is really important, how popular will the game be online? If you put a large focus on safety rating will you have enough people in the queue at peak hours to get some good matchmaking going?