1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

2 words on modding support

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by stefanoCasillo, Feb 26, 2018.

1. We are totally aware of the importance of modding and its contribution to the success of Assetto Corsa.
    It's a great way for new talents to emerge, for the community to "suggest" new directions and/or simply to make a product richer. It is not a coincidence that some of the best guys in this community are now contributing with us to the evolution of the software.

However, for ACC this element will have to be put in stand-by mode for a series of reasons. The most important one is that we have given ourselves an enormous task of rebuilding, once again our software from (almost) scratch. In a world where pretty much every product you see on the market in simracing is an evolution of games that have been on the market 10-15 years ago, our approach is to get a big axe and reset things to (almost) zero before starting with a new project, ACC is no exception.

In this case the task is rendered more complex by the fact that we are using, for the first time a third party engine that we did not design ourselves and the truth is, given the amount of time we have available to deliver ACC to the public, we have more than enough on our hands trying to figure out how to use the engine effectively to also think about how to make the platform moddable.

As you can imagine, this has been source of endless discussions in the last year and half as every decision comes with pros and cons, there is going to be pain no matter what your final call will be. It goes without saying that we believe we made the right call even if that means loosing the huge benefits of a moddable platform.

So to recap, there will be no action from our side regarding modding, both in the direction of promoting nor offering any kind of forum support for it as in the opposite direction, we have no intent to stop it from happening if some smart guy figure out how to do it.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions No Words Jun 26, 2020
    ACC General Discussions To Aris, your words of wisdom have changed my life Mar 29, 2020
    Chit Chat Room Translate for me AI % Strength to "Words" May 30, 2017
    Multiplayer Bugs & Issues I can't join any online races. They need passwords for all ? Nov 6, 2016
    Chit Chat Room Words are useless Jul 16, 2016
    Chit Chat Room Lord Kunos What will your cat's first words be? May 2, 2016
    Chit Chat Room Few (good) words for Kunos May 13, 2014
    Multiplayer Bugs & Issues passwords.....where to get them??? May 9, 2014
    Physics modding - Cars & Tyres Turbo & Throttle Modding May 3, 2022
    General modding discussion Help with modding gear and final ratio Feb 3, 2022
    General modding discussion General questions,just got started with modding Nov 1, 2021
    General modding discussion Legality of modding in AC Jun 18, 2021
    General modding discussion Modding EULA Question (Need a Dev to respond) Sep 12, 2020
    XBox One Discussions Modding On Xbox Sep 24, 2019
    General modding discussion Paid Modding Job: Personal Track converted RF2 to AC Jan 19, 2019

3. Turk

Turk Alien

I think that's fair enough.

4. Really appreciate the clarification, thanks.

This gives me hope :)

Completely expected and of course totally understandable for ACC. The acknowledgement of the importance modding has had for AC suggests you guys have not abandoned it totally as a company, so I'm happy enough with that.

5. Skybird

Skybird Alien

Correct decision, I think. I would have decided this issue the same way. Firsts go first.

:)
    However: that were not just two words.

Berniyh, Ernie and Fat-Alfie like this.
  6. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

Shouldn't this, too?

So I take modding as appreciated, just that the modders are completely on their own. Which means that fine gentlemen like you now are facing the question: how hard can it be? ;)

Can you give an initial estimation?

7. Considering 100% of my modding knowledge came from AC, I'm obviously not the right person to ask, having never touched any other engine in my life.

I look forward to seeing what happens though, and if it looks possible to add cars to ACC you know I'll be there to give it a good go.

8. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Alien

Thank you for the clarification on that important subject. It must have been one of those, amount many other, very difficult choice that you and the team had to made.
    No doubt that, like your fan legion, you would like ACC to have everything that a 2018 SIM can possibly offer. But the real life compromise have to be made, always.
    You have proven to all of us an uncanny ability to make the right decision on what makes a great SIM in the past with AC. We have no reason to doubt that ACC is going to be anything less than spectacular and addictive, like AC is.
    Looking forward to it and wishing it could be sooner than the spring for early acces, but so do you, I am sure.
    Thank you for all your efforts and hard work that bring us so much fun as SIM driving enthousiast.

9. marcocale

marcocale Hardcore Simmer

Someone should make a phone call to Kegetys....... :D

10. TTM

TTM Alien

It's more than understandable that ACC won't support modding. I'm more than 150% sure that there will be another AC game after ACC and it will contain modding tools and support for it.

I would give huge thanks for Kunos for adding modding support for AC, because it was biggest reason why i started modding again after few years of the silence. Without AC i wouldn't have some commerical jobs to do via racing games, so you made my dreams come true. :)

11. chargingcar

chargingcar Alien

Thanks for the Clarification Stefano , understandable with the new engine good luck with the project . :)

La Gonorrata likes this.
  12. LeSunTzu

LeSunTzu Alien

I suppose that the ACC rating and match making systems will work only with original content.

Minolin likes this.
  13. Szymik

Szymik Hardcore Simmer

14. Glad to hear the transparent honesty from kunos regarding their passion and very glad to see major modders not throwing a major hissy fit and calling kunos sellouts or whatever .Welldone guys :D

Ch4rL1E, pippo10 and Ace Pumpkin like this.
  15. MsportDAN

MsportDAN Alien

imo AC never really needed mods especially for cars, there was more than enough.. Maybe tracks a need for mods were required.

But with an official series to follow with proper tracks. Im not sure mods are even necessary anymore, unless your name is rf2 lol!

Stepy and pippo10 like this.
  16. rauf00

rauf00 Simracer

Totally understandable, thanks for clarification guys ;)

Ernie and Szymik like this.
  17. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

rauf00 and Szymik like this.
  18. Szymik

Szymik Hardcore Simmer

When I saw the announcement of ACC, I decided to make my trailer to see how wet Poznań will look like :)
    This engine has a huge potential, so ACC will be great.
    I don't know anything else...

19. Serge M

Serge M Alien

It was never necessary but it was VERY much appreciated. I believe modding is in large part responsible for making AC what it has become today. Think of the drifting community that picked it up, the platform offered excelent physics where proper drifting could be possible in a sim. Then there’s the countless tracks, I could never imagine my local track (Barbagallo) being made by a studio as it’s just a small time track, yet there’s a perfect mod out there of it allowing me to drive awesome machinery on it in VR :)

luchian, rauf00 and garyjpaterson like this.
  20. mibrandt

mibrandt Hardcore Simmer

Very understandable approach this time around. I wish you guys the best of luck and I am sure you will have great commercial succes with ACC.

Hopefully a full blown moddable AC2 will be the next natural step when time comes.

I imagine a lot of modders read this thread - so let me just THANK YOU for all you have contributed with to the great AC ! :)

21. Thanks for clarification.

I'm slightly worried can Kunos produce enough tracks but it might not be such an issue with Unreal engine. I'm pretty sure people will find a way to mod if the game is worth it.

Stepy likes this.