1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Triple screen (5760 x 1080) or Single screen (also on 5760 x 1080) simulation on 1 monitor questions

Discussion in 'Screens & Videos' started by kikie, Mar 1, 2018.

1. kikie

kikie Simracer

Long title but I have been testing with the resolutions, aspect ratios and the programme SRWE on a single 24" monitor to find out how AC would look like on a triple/duo monitor setup wit various aspect ratios and screen sizes. Also, because I'm very interested in this monitor, I'd like to find out if the simulations I tried are accurate or not. The LC49 monitor is too expensive to randomly buy it and come to the conclusion that it doesn't fit the purpose. Tha would be a waste of money.

When I chose a 5760 x 1080 resolution (created first in the video.ini) in the AC/options/video/display and Single Screen I'm able to start AC on a 24" monitor. But and this is normal, I can't see the entire 5760 x 1080 resolution on this 1080p monitor.

That is were SRWE comes in, which makes it possible to see the rest of the resolution.

With this programme, you can switch between the left, center and right monitor. When I choose the correct mathematical FOV of 24° for this 24" monitor at a certain distance, I get what I would see on a triple monitor setup.

Also:
    When I chose a 5760 x 1080 resolution (created first in the video.ini) in the AC/options/video/display and Triple Screen I'm able to start AC on a 24" monitor. But and this is normal, I can't see the entire 5760 x 1080 resolution on this 1080p monitor.
    With the SRWE programme, you can switch between the left, center and right monitor. When I choose the correct mathematical FOV for this 24" monitor at a certain distance (spinner screen width and distance spinner), I get what I would see on a triple monitor setup.

This can also be simulated on the 49" 32:9 monitor using the correct FOV when choosing single screen or the correct spinner screen width of 1195mm. Using the SRWE programme and switching between left, center, right monitor, I'm able to see what kind of peripheral view I'd get with this 49" monitor.

My question is, how accurate could these simulations be? If these are correct, it would be worth getting the 49" monitor because you would get a triple monitor setup on a single monitor without the bezels.
    This 49" 32:9 monitor is the same as two 27" 16:9 monitors. So, I guess that triple on this monitor is smaller than an actual 27" triple monitor setup.

Why do al this trouble? Because I'd like to surround game without bezels and if this simulation (see above) is correct, the 49" monitor could well be the monitor that I'm looking for. But it is expensive to just go and buy it.
    The bezels is not really an issue but if I can eliminate the bezel thing, I'd go for the 49" 32:9 monitor.
    According to Samsung forum, you can easily supersample this monitor at 5760 x 1080 or 5210 x 2880 and so on.

2. Thomas Gocke

Thomas Gocke Alien

I'm sorry, I didn't watch the video, maybe you explain it there, but why are you simulating with 5760 x 1080 if the LC49 has 3840 x 1080? You mention you can supersample the monitor, but wouldn't you want to supersample it so the pixels are still square?
    The biggest difference between a wide single monitor and triple screens is obviously that you can put a big angle between the center and the side monitors. This gives you an advantage in horizontal FOV (quite a lot bigger) but it is also a disadvantage, because
    a) not all games support rendering of separate viewports (only racing games and maybe some flight sims do, but not even all of them)
    b) rendering separate viewports costs performance
    The bezels are a small disadvantage too, but you really don't notice them at all them after a while.

One more thing: I personally wouldn't buy a monitor without gsync (or something similar). And before you buy such an expensive monitor, have you tried VR?

3. kikie

kikie Simracer

It is actually not my video.
    The video is about a program called SRWE (Simple Runtime Windows Editor). You can run AC on two monitors instead of three with this program. If somenone doesn't have the space or money to go triple, you can use this program to show AC on two monitors instead of three. In the program there are several buttons and three of these are left, center, right. With these, you can switch between left monitor, center monitor and right monitor if you don't have a triple monitor setup. The program does show however, AC on the monitors you have (in case of the video on two monitors instead of three). You still have to change the resolution to 5670 x 1080 in video.ini.

I have been simulating, with SRWE, a triple monitor setup on one 24" monitor to find out what the peripheral view should be with certain (triple or single) monitor(s), so how it will look. Eventhough I can only see one view, I can switch between the left, center, right monitor on this 24" monitor. You can simulate (approximatly) at triple monitor setup with different FOV and different monitor sizes, e.g. how much peripheral view would a triple 24" monitor setup gives you. Or a triple 27", or three 21:9 monitors (if you chose the correct resolution in video.ini and adjust the settings in the AC apps.

The only reason why I'm doing this to find out how AC would look like on the Samsung 32:9, 49" monitor. Because viewing a triple monitor setup on a single super ultra wide monitor means that you don't have bezels. And because it is very expensive monitor. The 49" monitor has Free-sync but I have a GTX970.
    I agree that a triple monitor setup is very nice but I was only wondering how AC would look like on the Samsung 32:2, 49" monitor in triple monitor setup without bezels
    You don't have to supersample the 49" to simulate a triple monitor setup. Just change the resolution to whatever triple monitor setup and aspect ratio you want and AC does the rest. In case of the 49", a surround 32:9 resolution would be 5760 x 2160, loosing peripheral view. Or you could choose for 5760 x 1080.

Hence this thread to find out if the simulations are correct or not so I decide what to get; a triple monitor setup or the 49" monitor. I'm probably overthinking everything!

The monitor is mainly for AC. I bought pCars a few years ago and haven't played it much. The only game I definitely would like to have is Wreckfest and ACC of course. Also, once I have decided which way to go, I can finaly buy more AC DLC's.

Yes, I tried the OC (DK1 or 2) with AC and the CV1 with pCars Pagani demo. I can only say that the first generation VR HMD's is not for me. The immersion is incredible and no triple monitor setup can touch it but the resolution (aliasing) and the lack of a 180° peripheral view is what is holding me back. Also, I have no ideo if I get sick or not. So buying an OC and then find out that I'm one of those people that get motion sickness, is a waste of money.

Yesterday, a guy from a computer store said to me to buy two second hand 24" monitors to try a triple monitor setup is like. But I already had a triple monitor setup years ago (Gran Turismo 4 on a 27" triple was very nice), so I know what it's like.

Also, can this pc run a triple? It's a Z97 pro gamer, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD (850 m.2 EVO), GTX970. ACC is probably going to be a huge problem to run on this computer with a triple monitor setup.

4. Thomas Gocke

Thomas Gocke Alien

oh the 49'' has free sync, didn't see that. But yeah, if you have an nVidia GPU it won't be of much use, too bad.
    Regarding VR sickness: If you didn't get really sick right away, you should be fine. The more you use it, the less sick you will get.
    AC with lot's of cars on the track and triples is very CPU heavy. I'd say with not too many cars, no PP and low reflection settings you will be able to run it fine though. Don't know about ACC of course.
    One thing (you've probably already checked) is if your GPU has three outputs.
    I'd say if it mainly is for AC, which has proper triple screen support (and ACC will have it too, I'm very sure) and if you can get two matching 24'' for much less than the 49'' I'd go for the triple 24'', and wait for the next generation of VR headsets.

Good luck with whatever you decide :)

kikie likes this.
  5. kikie

kikie Simracer

You are the third person whom gave me this advice. I'm not going to ignore that.

BTW, it seems that Oculus Rift = OR and not OC. :rolleyes: