1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Rolling starts

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by kakusso, Mar 28, 2018.

1. kakusso

kakusso Hardcore Simmer

Blancpain has rolling starts. Kunos please keep the cars controlled by CPU in multiplayer during the rolling starts. Otherwise people will just try to overtake each other.
    Edit: Or give the server administration the option to choose between CPU control or human control during the rolling start.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    Chit Chat Room Setup Rolling Starts for MP Server in CM? Mar 5, 2022
    ACC Multiplayer New rolling starts Feb 6, 2020
    ACC Multiplayer Longer rolling starts? Jun 15, 2019
    ACC Gameplay Rolling starts are still glitched Apr 19, 2019
    ACC General Discussions Rolling starts questions. Sep 20, 2018
    Chit Chat Room Simple (ha what do I know..) idea for rolling starts Jan 24, 2016
    Suggestions Timed races and rolling starts Feb 1, 2015
    Suggestions Rolling and standing starts Apr 11, 2014
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Tatuus starts rolling on Imola Dec 9, 2013
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Replay options PS4 pro (scrolling the timeline + watch specific lap) Dec 24, 2021
    Chit Chat Room Cars do a rolling motion since the new update Sep 28, 2021
    ACC User Interface HUD Driver Swap valid status swapped during 2nd race rolling start Nov 24, 2020
    GUI - HUDs - Apps Bugs & Issues 'Trolling' as penalty in result file Nov 4, 2020
    ACC Controls & Peripherals MFD Auto scrolling issue [outdated Logitech Software issue] Jul 31, 2020
    ACC User Interface How to turn on rolling start widget Jul 11, 2020

3. Serge M

Serge M Alien

Would imagine there would be a choice for CPU controlled and driver controlled with penalties applied for passing cars before race start.

4. Tberg

Tberg Alien

Definitely option to have player controlled cars. Always! Same goes for collisions in pits.
    Again, if we get ranked servers, with sort of levels, at some point rolling starts should always be player controlled cars, with penalties if you pass on the warmup lap. It must be expected at a certain level, that drivers have learned every lesson needed to go full simulation and penalty system active on public ranked servers.

For me, anything CPU controlled, non-collisions in pits etc., is an immersionbreaker that up to now I've overlooked, even though it annoys me.

Radfahrer, LeDude83, Jebus and 7 others like this.
  5. Serge M

Serge M Alien

Just to add, it’s prety weird and immersion breaking in VR if you aren’t in control of the car

Ernie, mms and Pulley like this.
  6. Tberg

Tberg Alien

It is. I also hope that there will be some more fade in/out time between sessions, instead of abrupt being teleported to pits or from pits to start positions. You even get to see the car "land" on the tarmac. Smooth transitions please :)

Won, Blamer and chksix like this.
  7. GRFOCO

GRFOCO Alien

iracing has already rolling starts by 100% human control and it works fine.
    Just to say that is possible to leave all the control to the player without some sort of problems.

Radfahrer and Ernie like this.
  8. martcerv

martcerv Alien

At higher rating levels if people arent capable of running a manual rolling start then they are rated very wrong. To drive close to traffic at slow speed is considerably easier then doing it at full speed. :rolleyes:

9. LeiF

LeiF Alien

Sorry guys, I am really very, very, very sorry about this.

But this thread title just reminded me of something and I had to google it, wow that brings back memories, Sega Saturn and Daytona USA!

And of course the classic:

:D

Tberg likes this.
  10. Tberg

Tberg Alien

I remember that one in the arcades. For a time, it was also the one reason I paid entrance to the amusement park in Copenhagen, only so I could get in with a few friends and race the 4-player Daytona game. Screw everything else you could try :D

LeiF likes this.
  11. LeiF

LeiF Alien

Hehe I was lucky to have a Saturn, mine actually came with Daytona USA. That was played A LOT until Sega Rally came out, then that disc basically never came out of the machine again :)

12. Lino Carreira

Lino Carreira Hardcore Simmer

Whats the point of AI controlled Rolling starts? might as well not implement them.....

chksix likes this.
  13. henri

henri Hardcore Simmer

Works fine technically just the human part has problems. At least on road side there was almost every race some little crashing or mayhem already on formation lap. And the start itself well... you can search from youtube iracing rolling start / formation lap. I don't mind if the lap is AI controlled like 2sec before green. I remember some games had fade to rolling last corner. Anyway the formation lap is very boring to do.
    I don't think these series even have standing starts. Would be very wrong to not have rolling starts.

14. Lino Carreira

Lino Carreira Hardcore Simmer

I didnt said to not code Rolling starts.. i said whats the point of AI controlled ones...

15. brioche

brioche Racer

From my experience working on Kissmyrank server-side rolling starts for AC I think, that compatibly with the dev time available, both should get implemented.
    As Tberg correctly pointed out there are different level of drivers and with different needs.
    I can see experienced drivers (leagues etc.) wanting to drive the formation lap as this is an important part of the race (heat tyres, brakes etc.).
    For Public servers with casual players the option to skip the formation lap and start with AI controlled cars a few hundred meters before the start finish line can surely help (with Kissmyrank I noticed the tendency of new players to join, overtake and then find themselves kicked into space, some of them then rejoin and learn the lesson).

LeDude83 likes this.
  16. GRFOCO

GRFOCO Alien

I was a iR member for 5 years, and at the times there was no problem with rolling starts.
    Yes, sometimes there was some crash just after the green but... **** also happens in rl.

I dont' know if now the situation is worse than before.

In the end, human mistakes are usual also on every T1 on (almost) every race. That's not a reason to cut human control on T1 (and in rolling starts)

Kopiller likes this.
  17. Mogster

Mogster Alien

Obviously there will always be purists who want to spend 5 minutes driving the formation lap themselves but on a long track it can be tedious. I’d be surprised if there wasn’t a rapid start option with AI control till the start line, standing starts could be an option also.

18. henri

henri Hardcore Simmer

I didn't say there should be AI controlled start "I don't mind if the lap is AI controlled like 2sec before green". Just gave my opinion that the formation lap adds nothing to the race. What I've seen in other games it just adds possibility for unnecessary crashing before the actual race even start. Hopefully there is "realistic option" and then some others to suit everyone.

19. Deatroy

Deatroy Alien

for fans of simulation the formation laps is adding a huge point of realism.
    You need to heat up brakes and tyres like in reallife + have the excitement.

Also for livestreams its a nice thing to present each team and their driver before the race starts.

Freddie Seng and chksix like this.
  20. martcerv

martcerv Alien

Most likely there will be both options after all coding the manual start is probably easier then the faster controlled by AI start.

21. Serge M

Serge M Alien

For me in VR the more of the pre race stuff the better within reason. If you just appear in a car that’s already moving and computer controlled it’s a bit weird initially. Would love to start sitting in a car that’s still raised on its jacks, see the mechanics bolt the tires on, car drop, get the go signal from another mechanic in front and/or over the radio and drive out of the garage myself with other teams around me going through the same process. During your formation lap you would be trying to get heat in the tyres and that can affect how well you start compared to others. Also with wet track conditions you can use the formation lap to feel for grip levels around the track

The more of these details can be integrated the more immersed you would become in the race day and get that feeling of being part of a complete race event.