1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Rolling starts

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by kakusso, Mar 28, 2018.

1. magzire

magzire Alien

Are you nuts! What's the fun in AI rolling starts, It's a clear NO for me!!

luxxx797 likes this.
  2. f1webberfan

f1webberfan Simracer

From a safe point of view AI rolling starts are a good option. There will always be some1 trying to be a smart***.
    From a driving point of view manual rolling starts is very good to have.
    From a practical point of view - will there be somebody that will complain that he is starting with optimal tire temp and pressure, and brakes temperatures?!

Bottom line.
    Since ACC as a game should be a simulation, right, we need the option to have AI controlled rolling starts enabled or disabled.
    I presume most servers (75%) will have AI controlled rolling starts enabled.

3. martcerv

martcerv Alien

Having the option is the key, many prefer either option so forcing just 1 way on all I really dont think is ideal.

In terms of new guys learning to drive in traffic forcing them to do a manual start will teach then more then being thrown into the last few seconds of a start. At least those that think its wasting time, may be less likely to cause carnage after doing a full pace lap as they probably dont want a restart and need to do it again. ;)

The quick start option with casuals and not strict server entry I think would be servers best avoided. Its these sort of options and pretty much all server setting that will need to be visible in lobby and also be able to be filtered in or out so people can join servers set as they want them.

Kopiller likes this.
  4. f1webberfan

f1webberfan Simracer

On the 1st line - simply - no.
    Not causing chaos/damage is a matter of choice.

On your second thought ... Why avoid? Many GTsport servers are perfectly legitimate/clean even if they have AI controlled rolling starts, so to speak. And I'm not talking quality of game, I'm talking about amount of people vs trolls/ingame ratings.

Filters are a plus always!

5. Epistolarius

Epistolarius Alien

Don't understand how anyone can be against implementation of rolling starts...

Mogster, Dookie, mESCx and 2 others like this.
  6. Whipdiddywhip

Whipdiddywhip Simracer

project cars rolling starts (cpu) or iracing rolling starts (player)?

i know what i'd choose and it's most def not the pcars way

7. LeSunTzu

LeSunTzu Alien

On rF2 the rolling starts controlled by AI pace cars are ok, except they are horribly slow on some tracks. There should be an option on the server side to set its speed.

8. St3fan

St3fan Alien

It is not that CPU controlled rolling start is bad: it is just PCars rolling start is terribly implemented and with bugs...

9. Typer

Typer Simracer

I particularly enjoyed it when after spending the best part of half an hour qualifying onto the second row, the PCars 2 AI on a rolling start at Monza wrote my car off before the lights had even turned green. Losing a ****-ton of reputation points for the resulting DNF was just icing on the cake.

Deleted member 113167 likes this.
  10. SimDude8756

SimDude8756 Rookie

Hey Dudes,

i mean the fully control at the starting process is very necessary for the ultimate driving experience! You can check all functions in the car, you bring the tires to correct temperature, your spotter send very importand informations to you in the formation lap and many many more. The point is also the rolling start is great part/experience from a virtual race. Please @Kunos to give all drivers the fully control about the starting grid and the formations lap. This is real/virtual motorsport and nothing else.:cool:

Thank you guys for understanding and i wish all drivers fast laps and many victories.

Epistolarius likes this.
  11. martcerv

martcerv Alien

I think expecting people to manage a slow clean pace lap for a rolling start isnt too much of a minimum competency requirement. If they get forced to make a clean slow lap then they may even learn something about how to run next to other cars without hitting any of them. :rolleyes:

Sure at race pace its more challenging but if they cant manage to do this clean while not racing at slow speed, what hope have they got in a full pace race driving next to others? If some are clearly incapable of driving in traffic on the warm up lap they can easily be kicked and everyone else can race without them being complete hazards. ;)

Turk, Epistolarius and chksix like this.
  12. Epistolarius

Epistolarius Alien

Well, ACC will have some form of online rating system. At the beginning and within lower rankings it might be chaotic but if the rating system works and people had opportunity to experience some rolling starts I'd expect it to work out fairly well. Ultimately however you can't expect a race to go by without issues, in real life it typically doesn't work out perfectly either. But that's part of the experience.

13. martcerv

martcerv Alien

Im sure with ratings like MR already you could easily enough have a grid that can handle manual starts with no issues. Its unlikely anyone will need kicking either if we have option for strict entry limits.

In AC I dont remember the last time I had to kick someone from an A or AB server. In a fully open pub server I cant imagine a manual start ever working but then an AI start will likely turn to chaos seconds after people get manual control.

14. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

The skill-based matchmaking is the most promising thing that could happen for ACC. It would massively improve the issues for good racers we're facing in AC. In fact, I think nothing else can.

15. Poguinhas

Poguinhas Alien

I'm trying not to expect too much of the system to avoid any disappointments, but if it does work it can be the best thing that could happen to the AC franchise.

Regarding rolling starts, once again I think AC could rip a page out of iRacing's book. I remember seeing in a video a while ago that instead of doing a full warmup lap, on iRacing the drivers are positioned somewhere in the third sector, and they mantain that formation until the start/finish line where the race starts. Having that option instead of a full formation lap would help a lot in keeping the procedure shorter and less time consuming, as well as decreasing the chance for incidents during that period.
    I think that would be the best procedure to adopt for ACC.

16. f1webberfan

f1webberfan Simracer

Every rating system so far I have come across is flawed.

The only system that is NOT flawed is real race control.
    Which will be impossible to implement on 100% of the servers.

As I said before, I'm not against manually controlled racing starts. I just think about 2/3 of the servers will end up - AI controlled. :)

We have - in RL as well - that people tend to misbehave. :)

And we all speculate here as neither of the 2 options is confirmed so far ... I think.

The purists will say that they don't have enough time to warm up their tires/brakes, then cool them down, then warm them up again, etc.
    :D :D :D
    And I think that option will implement AI of some sort.

17. Whipdiddywhip

Whipdiddywhip Simracer

yeah thats what iracing does, on some tracks its a full lap though, it's a tiny but important part to give you that proper race event feeling, its one of those things that get overlooked when trying to "simulate" a race feeling, along sides things like damage (way too overlooked as important in most sims)

18. Poguinhas

Poguinhas Alien

Yea, but instead of "AI or not AI" rolling start options, my suggestion would be an option for "Full formation lap or short formation lap".

Especially because on shorter public races I would consider a waste of time to have an entire parade lap before the race.

Last edited: May 1, 2018
    f1webberfan likes this.
  19. Whipdiddywhip

Whipdiddywhip Simracer

that'd be a good option to have, even the worst players should be able to manage the last quarter of a lap for a rolling start

f1webberfan likes this.
  20. f1webberfan

f1webberfan Simracer

I agree. A good option to have.