1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

All things considered, what makes the best racing sim ?

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by ValseTriste, May 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ValseTriste

ValseTriste Rookie

Last edited: May 3, 2018

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Online Leagues / Championships room [PC] Sixty Simthings Jan 31, 2024
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Strange things after loading mid-save race Dec 9, 2022
    ACC User Interface DLSS Problem. Image Scalingis missing [DLSS and IS are two different things] Nov 24, 2021
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars Removing not important things in graphical option Aug 20, 2021
    Console Lounge Weekly Hotlap Challenge 222 - Italian Merc with a Bent Panorama view of things. Apr 17, 2021
    ACC Physics Help understanding a couple of things in the dampers histogram Jan 26, 2021
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions First things First Oct 28, 2020
    ACC Multiplayer Kunos, are these two things possible? Oct 4, 2020
    General modding discussion is it possible to change textures of things like vegetation and buildings? Sep 14, 2020
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Stupid things wreaking a good game Aug 16, 2020
    Chit Chat Room I don't have permissions to view and download things Jun 29, 2020
    ACC General Discussions Things we would like to see added or enhanced in ACC (not a bug compliant thread) Jun 24, 2020
    ACC General Discussions Several things Apr 5, 2020
    ACC Troubleshooting A couple of things I noticed Feb 5, 2020
    ACC Troubleshooting weird things happening with f7 cam Feb 4, 2020

3. ACorsa1

ACorsa1 Gamer

Well we can't really sensor free will, or freedom of speech as you're suggesting having the forums for only bug reporting or setups.

We can encourage positive engagement, accept criticism and all have meaningful conversation although we may disagree occasionally.

I agree mostly with your post, specifically about realism as no matter how good sims get, they'll never fully recreate a real racing environment.

But, they are coming pretty damn close if you look at code replicating tire models, grip levels, weather and of course laser scanning.

To answer your question, what makes the best sim?

For me it's immersion.

The more I feel like I'm there, the more I smile.
    And that's what we're all here for right? Entertainment.

Of all the sims, AC has given me the most entertainment for my dollar, rFactor2 is very close though.

I suspect that ACC will take over as my main driver, I guess we'll know here in a few months.

Happy Racing!!

4. dajdosta

dajdosta Racer

Perfect sim with everything implemented doesn't exist therefore you cannot postulate a definition of a best sim which is true for everybody because people have different priorities. Some people will like Sim A because of its features, others will like Sim B...

5. dajdosta

dajdosta Racer

This!

6. rycil

rycil Simracer

What makes a sim immersive then?

Last edited: May 1, 2018
  7. ValseTriste

ValseTriste Rookie

"The more I feel like I'm there, the more I smile." Elegantly put and I happily agree that AC does that more than any other racing sim to date from the level of immersion it offers.

Being relatively new to AC I have to confess I was completely ignorant of the fact that ACC was planned, I was merely looking for a general discussion category for the post regardless of platform and subject and not understanding the meaning of Asset Corsa Competizione I landed here, anyway great news about a sequel, can't wait...

Same to you !!

ACorsa1 likes this.
  8. ACorsa1

ACorsa1 Gamer

Sense of speed, Life-like graphics complimented by real sound samples, and Physics that replicate their real world counterparts.

chemako85 likes this.
  9. ValseTriste

ValseTriste Rookie

I have to take complete responsibility for the weakly worded title, I couldn't change it once posted, apologies.

It was meant rhetorically as my intention here was merely a personal rant in favour of the overall quality of AC as a product to provide a permanent reminder to all of us to just try to think twice before publicly bringing into question its level of realism. It is a blessing that a few are able to do so for the benefit of all but the vast majority of us just aren't, me included :)

Happy continued racing to all !!

10. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

Scratch sense of speed. The sim will put a picture in front of your eyes that looks like what you'd see IRL and that's it. If that's not enough for you, "added" sense of speed through motion blur or stupid FOV settings is minus-sim.

BrunUK and Poguinhas like this.
  11. dajdosta

dajdosta Racer

Is there a problem with a sense of speed in VR as there is on 2D screens?
    I guess not?

12. ValseTriste

ValseTriste Rookie

I have only tried VR on the PS4 and it was very interesting and definitely achieves its goal of providing a visual 3D world (regarding sense of speed I dont remember actually noticing a difference with 2D) however its current lack of pixel resolution combined with the increased awareness of the lack of other sensory information left me personally preferring high quality 2D screens, so despite VRs advantages I find it too disconcerting and ultimately and ironically less immersive...

For centuries, having images framed around us is something we take for granted so a wonderful sense of immersion with screens is possible, especially with force feedback technology in the equation but being part of a 3D world with no sense of smell, touch or above all the sense of physical forces is all new and without that extra sensory information I'm not entirely convinced. No doubt technologically at least some of those senses can already be provided for but then we are losing the point in the context of a racing sim for 99.9% of us in our homes and for our simple pleasure :)

Last edited: May 2, 2018
    Andrew_WOT and LeDude83 like this.
  13. dajdosta

dajdosta Racer

Unfortunately I never played racing sim in VR, just played few hours of some space station sim, some FPS and watched some demo at a friends place and I have to say that it can not be compared to 2D screens. It is (literally) new dimension of immersion. I felt like I was there. I got my first computer in 1986 so I am pretty used to 2D screens but I totally understand people who say there is no going back from VR. It is like going back to driving with non-FFB wheel.
    Pixel resolution or stuff like that I didn't even notice. It was irrelevant.
    This was all with Oculus Rift, maybe people who weren't impressed tried some lesser headsets.

14. Typer

Typer Simracer

Not that I necessarily disagree, but to play devil’s advocate, AC is roundly praised for its FFB, which AIUI includes (optional?) feedback that you wouldn’t get IRL, to make up for the lack of g-force.

Also there’s Lock to Horizon settings, which are another concession to the inherent differences between real life and simulations.

15. ValseTriste

ValseTriste Rookie

The Oculus may be superior to the PS4 VR, have not tried it yet, just that for me the gain in VR ironically exposed the lack of other sensory info to the point of somehow being less immersive overall.

Being in a room in our homes immersed in a world framed within a screen is an incredible illusion that doesn't particularly disorientate, literally being immersed in a visual 3D virtual world yet still being able to sense our real surroundings for me definitely is so in the context of the thread it seems to me a step forward and a bigger step back, just my two cents though of course and I may well be in the minority.

Each to their own, whatever works, VR is great fun too and clearly a massive commercial success, just prefer the old school way, as is often the case I confess.

Last edited: May 2, 2018
  16. Whipdiddywhip

Whipdiddywhip Simracer

a game that simulates actual racing and not just physics

17. Stereo

Stereo Alien

For me the big thing for immersion is not getting anything wrong. Once I see something wrong in one place I start to wonder about the rest. It's fine if things are just left out, but eg. if some of the cars just don't work right, I have to question whether the game is really doing any of them correctly.

LeDude83 likes this.
  18. ValseTriste

ValseTriste Rookie

Hi there, thanks for the reply as it is perfectly relevant to the thread which hopefully you read as my original post here was about this and I wrote:

"How many of us have real life experience of what we can do for example in AC, concerning the whole package of cars and tracks I would imagine absolutely no-one, most probably even the developers themselves ?

So basically, to question for example the physics of a specific car, on a specific track, under specific conditions with a specific setup without that exact real life experience is nonsensical and to do so with even less specificity is obviously even worse. But those extreme few who do have the relevant experience are hopefully vocal about it and will continue to contribute to the sim, its priceless info to us all !

The rest of us have to just trust the developers, it is simply a crime of arrogance and ignorance not to, and appreciate the fact that we are lucky enough to have a multi-platform racing experience available to us which for me at least, with iRacing a close second, is the best out there ! Just my two cents."

-----------------------------------------------------------

Surely we all represent either the first or the second example, there is no in-between, so if you are one of the few that represent the first (I wish I was as I have huge regrets at never investing in racing lessons, track day experience etc etc) then absolutely go ahead and contribute, it could not fail to be welcomed by all who are passionate about whichever sim you are referring to.

But if like me you're of the second example then, respectfully, you are of course instead just sharing you're opinion with a negative slant which is entirely fair to do but it unfortunately won't serve any real purpose or get heard. With some effort to empathise with developers it is also easy to understand why not.

By contributing to the forum myself with this topic I am of course voicing an opinion, but it has only a positive slant in the context of the site and that would surely always be welcome, get heard and hopefully spread some joy and clarity for all !

Btw the phrase "it is simply a crime of arrogance and ignorance not to" was of course a general statement, which despite being as honest and accurate as I think it could be, was not aimed at anyone on a personal level so not be be taken personally, just food for thought :)

Happy continued racing to all !

Last edited: May 3, 2018
  19. In my opinion, I do not think that the physics and the FFB in ACC are going to be a problem after the great experience in this aspect that has been AC.

However, and I always indicate the same in the forums, an online competition system included in the simulator, with championships, classifications, licenses, ratings, etc ... is what a race simulator should have already We not only simulate driving, but also competition and also increase the level of immersion.

There is always talk of improving physics, increasing circuits, increasing cars ... to me (it is my opinion) having 400 cars and 300 circuits and not having a competition system ... it's like having the best time attack simulator.

20. ValseTriste

ValseTriste Rookie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.