1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Ballast or restrictor?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by WilliamRiker, Jun 8, 2018.

1. WilliamRiker

WilliamRiker Racer

Hi, i know that ballast is adding weight to the car and restrictor is about reducing air intake, but which of these is better to use when balancing a grid? or should i use both? does ballast affect the handling of the car in comparison to the restrictor?

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    General modding discussion Config file for ballast and restrictor Oct 22, 2019
    Chit Chat Room Ballast and Restrictor settings in CM, I'm befuddled. Mar 2, 2018
    ACC General Discussions Q about steer assist penalty ballast and its reasoning Jan 30, 2024
    ACC General Discussions Ballast per car per track? Nov 14, 2022
    Multiplayer Bugs & Issues Set ballast for a driver for any car? Feb 15, 2022
    ACC Troubleshooting ACC Server - EntryList - ballastKg tops at 30 kilo Aug 22, 2021
    ACC Multiplayer No more than 30kg Ballast possible Jun 29, 2021
    ACC Online Leagues / Championships room SimRacing Latinoamerica - Champ big grid - System Ballast - Free Mar 2, 2021
    ACC Multiplayer "Error reading PlayerID" in server log file, ballast not assigned Mar 2, 2021
    Chit Chat Room Adding Ballast Feb 6, 2021
    Multiplayer Bugs & Issues Adding ballast Jan 28, 2021
    Physics modding - Cars & Tyres Ballast in the Setup menus Jan 25, 2021
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions PS4 in game ballast adding Dec 13, 2020
    Suggestions Auto Apply Success Ballast May 4, 2017
    Suggestions Ballast + SUVs Nov 22, 2016

3. Andy-R

Andy-R Alien

For me it depends on the car. Yes ballast will alter the handling a bit, often the car just feels a little more stable and depending how much a little less turn in or brake performance. I use the one that the situation calls for. A good example is the MX5 Cup and Abarth 500 AC. It varies track to track which is fastest, the Abarth is better in a straight line and the MX5 in most corners so if I need to slow the Mazda I add ballast reducing its braking/cornering/straight line performance without making the difference in straight line speed between the 2 cars too much worse. If the Abarth needs slowing down then it is restrictor every time as that is where it is faster, this brings the overall performance of the 2 cars closer together. I guess ballast will also affect tyre life and fuel more than restriction.

LeiF and paul_wev like this.
  4. WilliamRiker

WilliamRiker Racer

Great explanation and example, thanks!

I wonder, what ballast and restrictor do you use for the MX5 and the Abarth?? i was thinking of making a championship with them...

5. Andy-R

Andy-R Alien

It depends on the track, more often than not it is the Mazda that needs slowing down and mostly between 20-50kg I'd say. I wanted to start a league with these before but didn't get enough interest. The way I would do it is using BTCC success ballast based on championship points for race 1 and race 1 results if it is 2 races each event. That would probably be enough along with strategic track selection to even things out without having to do track by track BoP.

6. LeiF

LeiF Alien

Hehe as soon as I saw this thread I knew you would reply Andy :)

Just to add to what is already an excellent explanation..

In cases where one car is very traction limited; sometimes you can keep adding ballast and the car doesnt seem to get any slower because the increase in traction offsets the slowing down effect of the extra weight.

So for really high power low grip low aero cars I would go straight to restrictor personally.

WilliamRiker and Andy-R like this.
  7. Tino66

Tino66 Alien

I am total nob when it comes to this stuff any hints for tha RSS GT1 cars?

Thanks

8. WilliamRiker

WilliamRiker Racer

Thanks, one last thing, i use CM and i keep putting random numbers to see what works, but what does these numbers mean? i guess that they mean Kg in case of ballast, but with restrictor? is there a range of numbers?

9. Andy-R

Andy-R Alien

I don't I'm afraid, I don't own those. Assuming they are fairly similar pace probably just a bit of air restrictor. You can run with or without AI with restricition using championship mode or CM to test out different amounts.

Tino66 likes this.
  10. Andy-R

Andy-R Alien

It is percentage, restrictor is 0-100%. It also seems to vary car to car how much of an impact it has on performance. Same goes for ballast, certain cars carry it quite well. Oh and yeah ballast value is kg.

11. WallyM

WallyM Alien

I have used both in my league. These are the results of my testing and experience in leagues.

Ballast affects the handling of the cars more than restrictor, and can have a bigger impact on tyre wear. Ballast typically slows the car down everywhere - corners and straights - whereas restrictor typically affects speed on the straights more.

Restrictor is limited to 100%, which will only slow a lap time by so many seconds. If you need to slow someone more, there's nowhere to go. With ballast, you can just keep adding more weight.

Ballast is more linear than restrictor. This means that doubling the ballast will typically double the slowdown, whereas doubling the restrictor might not.

12. Tino66

Tino66 Alien

Yeah they are quite close, The Lamborghini is the slowest car and also my favorite to drive......
    I have to try to see if I can find a nice balance for the other cars to be around the times of that car.

Thanks

Andy-R likes this.