1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Physics differences AC/ACC

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by chargingcar, Feb 21, 2018.

1. Andrew_WOT

Andrew_WOT Alien

ACC is not using UE4 physics engine, it's modified engine from AC. I'd assume CPU usage will be similar, except more load from rendering.

M-Bimmer and LeDude83 like this.
  2. Speed RacerX

Speed RacerX Gamer

Hey thanks for that tid bit. Can you say/know which version of UE4 being used? Because as I understand it the newer versions of UE4 support Vulkan. And I understand that Vulkan maybe in ACC.
    In my humble opinion, that would benefit everyone who has a 4core 4thread type of cpu.

3. at the moment the vulkan support is very shaky and not stable enough.
    Performance wise it runs slightly slower than DX11 and it crashes after few minutes, so no good news on that front ATM.

4. Typer

Typer Simracer

Did you mean to say “compiles”? That’s a whole different kettle of fish right?

Bolibompa and Minolin like this.
  5. rauf00

rauf00 Simracer

Thanks for insider, would be great to build a game on a newer API, of course if it can be used to for more efficient resource management.
    If Vulkan doesn't meet expectations, what about DX12 then?
    WinX 55% in Steam survey and still growing, ar. 75 of GPUs are DX12 ready, Forza is on DX12 and does not complain (except crappy UWP i bet).

6. Pretty much the same situation if not worse sadly. The truth is that the new breed of graphics API require an engine designed from scratch to really improve and a huge investment because of their complexity. A lot of stuff that used to be in graphics drivers has now been moved in the hands of engine devs. When you have a big beast like ue4 and a requirement to keep the compatibility with dx11 I can see how hard the task for Epic is. Not counting the fact that the performance improvement over dx11 is very application dependent and far from what marketing drums want you to believe.

7. rauf00

rauf00 Simracer

Sad to hear that, but this is what could have been expected. Looks like DX12 in it's 4 years history has not become a natural standard.
    List of new titles directly developed on DX12 doesn't look impressive.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_with_DirectX_12_support

Mainly Microsoft games like Forza which still had performance and stability issues long after release. If such giant team can't manage it, then who could?
    If think this this text cover it all
    https://www.dsogaming.com/editorial/the-state-of-dx12-games-in-2017-is-directx-12-losing-its-steam/

Anyway I'm sure you guys have your ways to optimize Competizione and we will see large Blancpain grids full of detailed cars!

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
    Whitestar likes this.
  8. Epistolarius

Epistolarius Alien

9. Salajutsu

Salajutsu Hardcore Simmer

One of the worst timing points in gaming lineage.

It wasn't until the GTX 10xx series that they added, specifically for DX12, A-synchronuous compute, which I guess is the "overhead reduction on CPU" DX12 was expected to bring.

Though the 9xx series supports DX12 capability, it does not have this feature, which really seperated performance for DX12 titles so far.

Forza Horizon 3 and GoW, I have a 980, 7th gen i7 and get between 81 and 35 fps. In fact, completely at random. Doesn't seem to matter what I'm looking at or where I am.
    Built friend's computer with GTX 1080, 8th gen CPU, bam, 130 fps nearly constant, more consistent and stable. Even 1060's in DX12 perform above my 980. Maybe not always, in every situation, but it's more consistent.

IMO, it's really marketed hardware sales that's putting software in a rut.

10. Speed RacerX

Speed RacerX Gamer

I recall getting into the pc gaming scene right around dx6/dx7. When the decision was made that newly released games were going to the next directx version you had to march your but to the store to get the hardware that supported it or you didn't play. Things started to settled down when DX9 hit though.

Now a days it's not like that.

11. M-Bimmer

M-Bimmer Simracer

+1
    (Would take any improvement on AC which still has one of the best physics out there)

12. chakko

chakko Alien

Read the thread, that already has been answered for the most part.

13. Rosko

Rosko Hardcore Simmer

It's disappointing Vulkan is not yet delivering, DCS & xplane11 are moving to Vulkan i hope they know what they are doing.

14. in this case we're not talking about Vulkan in general but about the Vulkan integration in UE4.. which is a completely different topic.
    Hopefully UE4 4.20 will be out soon and although there are no specific Vulkan on PC mentions we'll surely check it out to see if we can get it to work with ACC.

EDIT:
    Actually just read this in the UE4 forum.. which is promising :) :
    "Vulkan is significantly improved in 4.20 and has equal or better performance than DX11, they just didn't mention it in the summary."

Also some interesting stuff for ISR which could be good news for VR.. so yeah, looks like a good engine update for ACC.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
  15. BrunUK

BrunUK Alien

16. Serge M

Serge M Alien

All of this sounds awesome. Anything that makes the PC workload easier to run VR is very welcome as it means I’ll be able to crank the settings up :)

17. Gotta say - as someone who works in software dev [3d engineering software], I enjoy seeing the 'views from the inside'. Keep em coming :)

Last week I showed one of our lead R&D devs the Misano wet video, along with the day/night transition video and there was some serious geeking out over it for a bit. A "Kunos Engineering Blog" would have some serious fans down in New Zealand ! Just saying ;)

18. Typer

Typer Simracer

Oh, exciting stuff on the VR front, thanks for letting us know.

Also very encouraging to hear that you’re looking to update UE in general. Is that an ongoing plan, to keep ACC up-to-date with UE minor versions while ACC is in development? Have you done many updates so far, and if so, how much work has it been? Thanks.

19. Andrew_WOT

Andrew_WOT Alien

Stefano posted some interesting tidbit here https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/discuss-rfactor2.36890/page-90#post-981171
    @Lord Kunos, does that mean that FFB refresh rate is 111Hz, or it's unrelated.

20. Andrew_WOT likes this.