1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

VR Support - Yes or No?

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by Derek Speare, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Haiden773

Haiden773 Hardcore Simmer

In the grand scheme of the gaming world, there isn't a huge marketing for high-end DD wheels and button boxes, either, but that hasn't stopped small shops from making them and, in turn, slowly growing the market. I believe there's already software that allows you to play any game in VR, regardless of whether it's supported or not. May not be the best quality today, but it shows what can be done. I imagine, if the big companies bow out of VR, but the demand is still there, someone will fill the niche.

Derrellbiffle likes this.
  2. mms

mms Alien

If you never tried to play on your monitor after getting used to VR, I suggest you to do it!

alex bonner and Derrellbiffle like this.
  3. lordpatou

lordpatou Simracer

Did you do it ? ( not trolling, true question)

4. Turk

Turk Alien

Nope, I'm Assetto Corsa starved, my rig is packed away on a pallet because I don't have room at the moment. I could poke out one of my eyes and go for a drive in my car??

mms likes this.
  5. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek Alien

The VR 3rd party programs are very much like watching the game being played on "Big Screen" only, with sub-standard performance so I don't see that as a worth-while option at all. Even if you can manage to get VorpX working with it's alternate 3D support, it doesn't seem to work very well, is clunky and usually not fully functional so one might as well stick to monitor(s) imo. I haven't tried any others but, also haven't heard any glowing reports either.

I have managed to retain my triple setup as it works well for my work-related stuff but, can understand that not everyone has that option. The difference between playing on a single monitor vs VR is very significant so I might be very reluctant to take a step backward in that case as well. I tend to play mostly for immersion so VR is a great advantage for that reason alone.

Cote Dazur likes this.
  6. mms

mms Alien

Not sure if the question was directed to me as you didn't quote my post, but if yes, I tried it once or twice, but got frustrated really fast, missed braking points, turn-in points, had no sense of speed and distance, s.o. If I had a triple monitor set-up it might be different, but on a single monitor I just cannot do it anymore. Frustrated, and spoiled kid ;)

Blamer and morpwr69 like this.
  7. morpwr69

morpwr69 Racer

Its unfortunate really. There are a lot of offroading/racing/driving titles id own if they had vr support. Wreckfest would probably be a riot with vr. Im with you I just cant go back to a flat screen.

8. lordpatou

lordpatou Simracer

I was not sure to had well understand your point of view that why i asked.
    I fully agree with your experience. Really hard to go back to flat scren after VR ;)

Cote Dazur, Phil64 and mms like this.
  9. Rosko

Rosko Hardcore Simmer

Yep getting VR is a great opportunity to put your sim rig in a less obnoxious position.

Phil64 likes this.
  10. Rosko

Rosko Hardcore Simmer

I think we have to expect it to take significantly more juice to run it than AC I don't think all those pretty graphics lighting & weather will come for free.

11. ozzyneil

ozzyneil Gamer

VorpX, man that requires a cast iron stomach if you get it working. I tried to get GTA5 working and ended up off work for 2 days cos the whole world was tilted. Went to the doc and he said I unbalanced the crystals in my inner ear, I didn't tell him I was using oculus. I'll never use it again.
    No problems with native oculus stuff though.

12. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek Alien

I spent way too much time trying to get VorpX working with several titles and eventually abandoned it completely. Worst money ever spent but, it did demonstrate the value of having native VR-support in games.

13. Whipdiddywhip

Whipdiddywhip Simracer

well it was plastered all over that vr would be supported, if they changed it then i won't buy it

it's not being snobbish but for many vr users going from vr to screens again is like a screen user going from a wheel to a controller

14. Of course VR will be supported in v1.0; it's day one of Early Access that is in doubt.

Dookie, mms and Turk like this.
  15. Haiden773

Read my comment. I said, "Maybe not the best quality today, but it shows what can be done." Lots of things start off clunky, but if the demand grew and other stepped in to improve it, it could get better. Or, possibly lower the amount of work required by developers to make their titles VR compatible. Who knows. It's a small bit of software, made by a garage shop. Perhaps a company with better resources could do better.

I don't know. I find VR to be better than triples, as well. Triples wrap around you and give you a better perspective than a single screen. But it's still flat depth.

16. Serge M

Serge M Alien

Oh, we are still here are we? I’ll throw my extra 2c in (again). Screens is like standing in an art gallery looking at a picture of a beautiful landscape of say the Swiss alps, VR is like standing on the side of the highway looking at that same landscape for real

17. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek Alien

It may seem a small bit of software from the outside looking in but, making it work has to be a monumental task - one that the greatest minds in VR-tech haven't solved.

The "Maybe" part is greatly understating the current state of things imo; it just isn't going to do the job without serious compromises. Yes, one can play some non-VR titles - sort of but, at what level of quality and performance(?). 2D VR is no better than a monitor, especially when the image quality and performance are compromised. Add to that, "if" you can get it working correctly. I think it's more likely that we'll have significantly better HMD's and better VR-titles long before we have a really useful work-around for non-native VR support titles.

The VR "injection" process means compromises need to be made by it's very nature - otherwise, why do native VR-support at all? With the requirements to run VR being as high as they are already, compromised performance is the last thing VR needs.

I think VR is better than triples too - because of the 3D aspect and head-tracking but, with some titles not supporting 3D, I'm happy to keep both around and the extra real-estate is great for my work use.

18. Haiden773

I think you're misunderstanding the context of my comment. For one, by small bit of software, I meant it was done by a small third-party group, not that the software was simple. Second, I don't think the greatest minds in VR have been working on that kind of work-around software. They're working on actual native VR. And lastly, I don't think third-party software like that is ideal or that it will be more than a novel cheap work around for less demanding titles, as long as the VR giants are still pioneering the field. The point I was making was that if they main VR developers did abandon VR (for whatever reason), I think third-party developers like that might actually be more motivated to develop and improve software like that. If that were to happen, then the challenges faced might be overcome. Technology changes, what's difficult today, becomes doable to tomorrow all the time. Lots of things we do with sims today are only possible because processing power evolved. In the past, modern AI and physics would have bottlenecked PCs. Today's processors can handle it with headroom.

But I agree. If VR development continues, there's no need for third-party hacks, and they won't evolve past the gimmick stage.

19. Rosko

Rosko Hardcore Simmer

I don't think VR is going mainstream any time soon its a slow burner for sure but i do think the second phase of VR is very important, better optics & higher resolution that is inevitable & likely in 2019 is going to convince many gaming enthusiasts that were put of initially. Tech like foveated rending is going to be of huge significance as its giving VR a jump to gain some ground on monitor quality rendering rather than have to wait till processor power catches up. Of course VR is not just focused on the gaming market, that is only one element & this is also a major reason people see vr as the future, personally as soon as i tried VR i saw it as something as significant as the invention of the telephone or TV rather than comparable to 3D TV.

Phil64 likes this.
  20. Haiden773

3D TV was a novelty, with no real utility outside of the entertainment industry. VR, on the other hand, has myriad uses that don't involve gaming, some of which are related to health services and education. That alone is enough to drive further development.

dajdosta, Serge M and Blamer like this.