1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Assetto Corsa Competizione - Generic discussion

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by bgil66, Jun 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigFW

BigFW Racer

Well it can only be a 'great week' if ACC EA is released :D

I was thinking we may at least get a an EA release date soon after Misano.

2. Epistolarius

Epistolarius Alien

I'm hopeful we'll see those features implemented. We'll have to wait for what Early Access brings and give feedback accordingly.
    -
    Welcome to my ignore list. And I still think you're missing the point by a mile, but keep telling yourself that motorsport is healthy and popular.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
  3. esox71

esox71 Alien

Is VR as clear as your 1980x1050 monitor, never mind 4k?
    A lot of people find that essential.

4. Sba

Sba Racer

Alright, so. Very hectic and frantic weekend at Misano, but now I have a bit of time to finally write up something. And yes, Aris, THIS is actually me :p

Disclaimer: I'm not a physics guru or a real life racing driver, so I can't say "yea this is accurate, this is not", I can only speak for the feel I had, compared to other sims. I'm no alien, but I've had my fair share of hours clocked in behind the wheel.

As it has been already said, there were 4 demos. All at Misano, a dry hotlap with the 488, a drying track + puddles with the Huracàn on slicks, a full wet race with the AMG and a day/night transition session with the Audi.

I basically stayed at the booth with a friend of mine (incidentally, coming all the way from Norway SPECIFICALLY to try AC:C, the Blancpain race was just a bonus :D). We pestered @Aristotelis and @Minolin with questions LITERALLY all day long, from 11AM to 9PM, and not only were they happy to answer all of them, but they also seemed eager to get more! I don't think I've ever seen anyone so passionate for the work they've done, their eyes were just lighting up as they talked to us about the new ideas that they've brought into the game already, and what they are planning on doing next. I'm usually someone who doesn't get hyped for games *cough cough* thankyouprojectcarsforallthetrustissues *cough cough* but the sheer excitement and passion they transmitted me tells me they're not fooling around. If there is ONE game I would pre-order eyes closed, no questions asked, it would be this one. I've read a lot of skeptical posts in these threads - which is fair enough, given what the AAA gaming industry *cough* andSMS *cough* has accustomed us to - but I'd wholeheartedly recommend a cautios optimism even to the most cynical individuals.

Anyway, to the juicy stuff.

Handling: the dry hotlap was the benchmark for the handling, as the conditions are the most similar to what you can find in the "old" AC and other sims. Despite the fact that I did not know the rig very well and I did NOT know the track, it only took a couple of laps to get confident with the car. It was like "okay, so this is how it is, I can work with that". The handling feels much more alive than anything I've driven before. I'm not just talking FFB (meh, I was also expecting something more from Thrustmaster's top of the line wheel), I'm talking actual handling. As a driver, I like to "turn my cars on the brakes", I use very little steering input and I balance the car with the brakes on entry, something that I've always struggled to do consistently in AC1, where it mostly feels like I can either brake, or turn. I've heard talks about this being related to the combined load on the tyres being a bit off, but as I said I'm no physicist (I'm just a chemist) so I don't know for sure. In AC:C I can finally do this, even with the T3PA Pro pedals available at the booth. The car is much more lively both on the brakes and on throttle, ABS and TC are no longer "safety devices" that prevents you from ruining the tyres, but they feel a lot more like instruments you can tweak to get the best out of the car. Especially TC, is a lot more improved than what we have in AC1 and feels like something working with the car, rather than "on top" of it, if you know what I mean. It's hard to describe, but you feel a lot more in sync with the car and connected to the chassis than anything I've tried before, so that's already a huge leap forward in my opinion, they improved an already very solid aspect of the game, when I honestly was expecting only a "port" of the physics with a few tweaks to sand out the rough edges. But nope, handling is not AC1.1, it's AC2.0!

Rain physics: I have NO idea how a racing car should behave in the rain, but I know how it should not drive. Looking at you, drylineisalwaysthefastest2. Aris told us that on this specific build, the track was still "static". If I understood correctly, rubber does not get laid down on the racing line as cars drive, so it doesn't get slippery in the wet and you don't have to avoid it in the rain, so the "wet line" really should be just avoiding the puddles in the compression zones. BUT, he also said (and I believe I am allowed to say this) that the final release WILL have a fully dynamic track surface, with rubber getting laid down on the racing line, marbles collecting off-line, all of that good stuff. The rain simulation is NOT only acting only on the grip levels *still looking at you* , but the actual layer of water between the tarmac and the tyre will be simulated. This means that the racing line will get very slippery as it starts raining, and that you'll have to find the wet line if you want to survive. I didn't understand most of the techy stuff Aris explained, so I won't bother getting into the details, but if it feels already very believable in a static picture, I can't wait to see how it will be driving on a track as it starts to rain. Again, I understand the skepticism, as nobody has ever successfully done anything like this before ("yeah don't you think anyone has ever thought of that until now? Who do they think they are?") but they do seem on the right track (ha. haha.) and I hope they'll manage to deliver everything they're working on. I mean, the water layer is already simulated, driving the Huracàn on slicks and stepping on a puddle feels as I imagine it should feel, so these are not just promises, they're already pulling rabbits out of the hat.

Graphics: Gorgeous. I had tears in my eyes when I saw the day/night transition happening in front of me. Nothing looks exaggerated as most games try to do to impress you (oh look, eye candy!), just beautiful.

Sounds: You should give Luca a raise. If (in my opinion) sounds were one of the weak spots of AC1, it's one of the strong ones for AC:C. immersion_factor = 1E6.

Online structure: We've had loooooooooooooooooooooooooooong talks with Kevin/Minolin (absolute madman!) about how the online will be. I can't say anything, mostly because it's still very much a work in progress, but the stuff he's told us is borderline revolutionary. I'm curious to see how they'll actually do this one, because in my opinion what they want to do is a TITANIC task, but I'm very much looking forward to it.

Tl;dr: go to the AC:C Steam page, keep clicking F5 until the end of summer when it goes into Early Access.

Luca

KmikzPat, Dookie, Tberg and 71 others like this.
  5. BrainsBush

BrainsBush Hardcore Simmer

Great story to read! Thanks! Like he reading while we eagerly wait for he EA date. Lesson learned today: If a Norseman is so enthusiatic then it must be very *cough very ultimately * good ;).

6. Epistolarius

Epistolarius Alien

Thank you for sharing this. Can't wait to try ACC. :)

7. Ciccina2016

Ciccina2016 Simracer

RF2 .. and at the moment it works really bad in that game.. as AI breaks all the sudden in front of you causing accidents or overtakes you when it should not be
    You can imagine how many bugs this feature will bring expecially for AI behaviours , so be prepared.. although it is cool feature to have

8. Alistair McKinley

Alistair McKinley Hardcore Simmer

Thank you for sharing your experiences. Very much appreciated.
    The lines I highlighted may contain the most important info of all about ACC for me because it is something which wasn't/isn't properly solved or simulated in PC2 and rF2 (where the ideal line is always the same - wet and dry; despite avoiding the puddles in PC2).
    Thank you very much.

After_Midnight and Ace Pumpkin like this.
  9. Whipdiddywhip

Whipdiddywhip Simracer

the option to have a manual safety car for leagues would be cool

10. Turk

Turk Alien

I did notice that people driving in the wet seemed to be sticking to the dry line but I put it down to the wet not being fully implemented, what your describing sounds better than anything I imagined. :cool:

Looks like there's a playable game there but a lot more work to do on things like the new online features, Sounds about ready for EA to me. :D

Alistair McKinley likes this.
  11. Shaddix

Shaddix Alien

this sounds great. Could you please say, if intake sounds were hearable? FMOD should be able to handle them, i hope they recorded those too.[/QUOTE]

12. Sba

Sba Racer

[/QUOTE]

I did not pay attention to it, but imo the new sounds are even better than the Fonsecker mod. Not just the quality of the samples, but how everything is mixed in a very organic way. Or maybe I just have **** headphones :p

Shaddix likes this.
  13. Luis Branco

Luis Branco Alien

From Aris vídeo, rolling start/formation lap starting from last turn for Misano event but is available the option to set the complete formation lap.

14. Skybird

Skybird Alien

No. VR always is blurry compared to monitors, the images and videos you may have seen do not show the inside-VR-display quality. Still, calculating VR graphics is very demanding. You may be able to get crispy monitor images and still have stuttery VR with its blurriness.

15. Max Veloce

Max Veloce Racer

except if you have vive-pro with the samsung gear lens mod.. that's on a level with a 1080 monitor :cool:

but yeh, before that all VR was low res and blurry by comparison

16. Turk

Turk Alien

I don't know if the vive pro would match a 1080 monitor in real world terms just due to the distance the screen is from your face. When looking at a monitor your arms reach away from it, looking at a VR screen it's a few cm from your face. That makes a huge difference. The billboards you see on the side of the road could technically get away with an imagine from a 1 megapixel camera because your that much further away from it that you can't make out the details.

17. Epistolarius

Epistolarius Alien

Nice, thanks for the info.

Alistair McKinley likes this.
  18. Skybird

Skybird Alien

No the more blurriness the deeper you look into space? Really...?

19. nfsw55

nfsw55 Hardcore Simmer

20. Turk

Turk Alien

The only thing that stands out from that article to me when it comes to EA is this..
    "To their credit they said they still have a lot data to use to refine the feedback and a big update will be made for the next demonstration."

It sounds like there's going to be a few of these demos before EA.