1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

VR Support - Yes or No?

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by Derek Speare, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Andrew_WOT

Andrew_WOT Alien

Perhaps Kunos should subcontract you for this, seems like they definitely miss expertise of that level.

2. Blamer

Blamer Hardcore Simmer

They surely don't need lawyers.
    There are a lot who apparently work for them here

3. mms

mms Alien

You completely missed Stefano's point. On your initial post you've suggested they should look at the UE4 source code, his response was about looking at that code and finding performance improvements.

If you would have ever looked at some source code (not the 'Hello World' ones) you would know that for a big project like UE4 it would take at least 6 months to begin to understand how it works, another 6 to have any chance to find a place where you could potentially improve something. And with a very high probability that your "improvements" will brake something that worked fine.

I'm very confident they will optimize their code using UE4, for me AC is one of the smoothest VR experiences out there.

aotto1977, Rosko and stefanoCasillo like this.
  4. Serge M

Serge M Alien

Isn’t one of the points of using an of the shelf engine is to not have to worry about engine optimisations? Making sure the engine is optimised is Unreals job isn’t it?

martcerv, stefanoCasillo and mms like this.
  5. ShredatorFIN

ShredatorFIN Alien

https://forums.unrealengine.com/unr...d-releases/1485599-unreal-engine-4-20-preview

New UE4 version has this in it:
    Stefano mentioned in other thread, that this could mean good things for AC in terms of VR.

Also another thing he mentioned, Vulkan might be supported better: https://forums.unrealengine.com/unr...eal-engine-4-20-preview?p=1485656#post1485656

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
    Micii1 likes this.
  6. noorbeast

noorbeast Rookie

No I did not miss the point, as I am a VR dev I was asking for clarification as to why not much could be done with UE4, with it being a 3rd party engine, and I pointed out even the source code is available, in other words any and all forms of optimisation are open to anyone who uses UE4' here is the query again:

Lord Kunos said:
    sadly with a 3rd party engine like UE4 there isn't much we can do.

noorbeast said:
    Can I clarify what you mean, as even the source code is available for UE4?

7. Serge M

Serge M Alien

Do you believe if you were working on a project using UE4 you would be able to find performance improvements in that engine that have not yet been found and implemented by the entire UE4 development team? And you would spend the time combing through the source code of that monster of an engine looking for said improvements?

8. noorbeast

noorbeast Rookie

What relevance is my corporate architectural VR design service to this thread?

9. noorbeast

noorbeast Rookie

Are you suggesting that UE4 has not been used and optimised for high end VR games:

10. Serge M

Serge M Alien

It’s already optimised by the UE4 dev team, it’s their job, if it wasn’t then it would not be a good engine. It’s not further optimised by studio using it for their projects, specifically not any of its source code

11. noorbeast

noorbeast Rookie

All games should be optimised, irrespective of what engine they use, it is a key part of the dev process. Whether or not that includes source level changes depends on the project. Both Unity and Unreal work internally and with partners on projects that do go right down to the source code and include new techniques and tools, which later gets refined and included in the engines, which is how they evolve.

All that aside my question is pretty straight forward, what in UE4 precludes and prevents optimisation and VR support, as it is open at every level from config to source and provides VR support out of the box?

12. isn't it fascinating how, on the internet, everybody seem to be some sort of genius? They are all CEOs, CFOs, amazing devs, insatiable lovers.. they run operations that cost millions just like that in their heads.. they have the answer to pretty much every world's problem.

Gosh I love the internet.

WallyM, Addy, mms and 5 others like this.
  13. Serge M

Serge M Alien

Well if not the internet where else could we possibly be any of those things? :)

Full_Ninja likes this.
  14. noorbeast

noorbeast Rookie

And do their very best to avoid perfectly reasonable questions ;-)

15. you think your question is reasonable? Really?

I mean.. all these days you've been playing the smart *** over here never occurred to you that the simple answer to your childish question is.... wait for it... good old money?

Yeah sure.. we could send a couple of devs on a witch hunt digging into a couple of millions of line of code for 6-8 months hoping to find some mystery bottleneck that Epic put into UE4 just to **** us up and have a giggle right? But then who's going to do the work that those 2 devs were supposed to do in those 6-8 months?
    Yeah.. we could find ourselves 6 months later with no major breakthrough from those 2 devs and the rest of the game late because of the missing manpower.. and who's the genius now huh?
    The entire point of choosing to use a 3rd party engine is to be able to have more time to spend on our side of the code NOT TO JUMP INTO CRUSADES AND HACK INTO A CODE THAT WE DIDN'T EVEN WRITE! That means that we'll get the good part of the story but also the bad part.. just like in every life situation out there.

And I am not even counting the fact that you are using a game SPECIFICALLY designed for VR by EPIC in order to showcase their engine as an example of optimization.. are you being intentionally a troll?

I am sure it all looks very easy and straightforward from the comfort of your computer chair... keep going, don't be alarmed, you're the smart one and we're the lazy bums just pressing some buttons here and there, after all, it's not like we were one of the first devs to bring VR to simracing and did that in our own engine.. never mind that.. insignificant detail right? You had to come here to teach us a lesson and feel super smart in the process didn't you?

Oh and by the way.. Linux source code is available too.. thinking of it.. why don't we go and "fix it" so we can make a true simracing VR OS for ACC? What in Linux prevents optimizations like that? Sounds totally logical to me does it?

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
  16. Serge M

Serge M Alien

While you are here @Lord Kunos
    Any update on EA VR availability? Yes, no, or still unknown?

Bty likes this.
  17. noorbeast

noorbeast Rookie

Given you are the one selecting to use UE4 is not due diligents your responsibility...or is sarcasm your only tool of choice? The cited example Robot Recall source is released free for the specific purpose of assisting devs to make the most of VR using UE4, nothing trollish about that, it is a resource you and any other dev can freely use. Seriously what bottleneck are you claiming Epic put into UE4 just to **** us up and have a giggle?

You chose UE4, it does support VR, you initially claimed your game would support VR and now seem to be pulling it. What in UE4 has led to that decision?

fbiehne likes this.
  18. we're working on it.. you'll know as soon we'll know :)

Bty, dajdosta, Typer and 5 others like this.
  19. You're the one claiming that not me dude.
    I didn't even say there is a bottleneck to start with.. you're pretty much doing it all by yourself here.

20. are you even able to read? Where did we say that we are "pulling it"?
    You are bordering trolling now.. I suggest you to correct your attitude if you want to keep posting here. Consider it a final warning. If you want to have a conversation learn to read and understand what people are saying first.

Just in case you've missed it.. our position is that we do not like to claim a feature will be in the game until it is actually working, especially if a feature is heavily dependent on a third party framework. It looks a totally reasonable and honest approach and yet, you decided to give us **** about it.

nate, demetri, jsmith.ls.uk and 4 others like this.