1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Dynamic Braking Line a Possible Option?

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by Speed RacerX, Jul 3, 2018.

1. Speed RacerX

Speed RacerX Gamer

I was wondering if the option for braking lines at corners could be something considered for ACC?
    IMO, I don't think we need racing lines just the series of arrows on the track as you approach the corner.

For example:
    Green, yellow and red to indicate how the car will perform as you corner.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    General modding discussion Shadow (not supposed) dynamic rendering Feb 2, 2023
    ACC Physics Did ACC get robbed of FFB dynamic range & understeer feel in 1.8.12 update? Mar 30, 2022
    ACC Gameplay Not so Dynamic track Nov 25, 2020
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars Dynamic resolution scaling Jul 16, 2020
    ACC Multiplayer Always thunderstorms With dynamic weather settings May 8, 2020
    ACC Controls & Peripherals Dynamic Damping May 3, 2020
    ACC General Discussions Online Servers with mandatory pitstops and dynamic weather? Apr 28, 2020
    ACC General Discussions Poll: Does your league use Dynamic Weather? Apr 25, 2020
    ACC Hardware Discussions Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO VS DT 990 Pro? Mar 10, 2020
    ACC Gameplay [1.1.1]Championship not using dynamic weather and track? Oct 28, 2019
    Physics modding - Cars & Tyres Exporting AC PhsyX Data to Vehicle Dynamics programs? Oct 15, 2019
    ACC Physics [V1.0.7] Dynamic Tyre Pressures (Wet) Sep 1, 2019
    ACC Gameplay Dynamic weather and AI strategies? Jun 17, 2019
    ACC General Discussions Dynamic mirrors and fix for HUB in VR ? Jun 17, 2019
    ACC User Interface 1.0.2 - struggle with dynamic weather AND random track conditions Jun 7, 2019

3. Alistair McKinley

Alistair McKinley Hardcore Simmer

You mean like AMS has it?

It's a dynamic line which changes it colours according to one's speed.
    Although, I am not using it, I like how it is implemented.

Edit: It's an older video. Today/Now, the lines looks a little bit different / better.

4. Speed RacerX

Speed RacerX Gamer

^^
    Correct except the arrows are only found 200 or so from the corners only.

5. Alistair McKinley

Ah, thank you. Now I understand.

First I thought you mean something like a braking area which gets illuminated when being approached.

I don't think that many poeple would like the "appearing" dynamic racing line you described.

Or would it be visible all of the time?
    In this case, one could see where the line begins and could prepare for it.

But maybe that would be too distractive because one would tend to look for the beginning of this ideal line only instead of searching for real brake markers.
    But that's the same with the dynamic racing line in AMS. I find it very distractive: Instead of learning the track with all its specialities, I learn to follow a line which shows me when to brake, when to coast and when to accelerate. I'm not totally against such lines but I rather spend a couple of hours to learn the track and find my "own" line.
    But these are just my two cents.

I'm looking forward to what other people write about that.

sissydriver and Speed RacerX like this.
  6. chakko

chakko Alien

I don't miss it at all. In fact, whenever i used that in GTR (i think that sim had that), and it was turned off then, i found myself really lacking reference points to brake and accelerate. IMO, it is nothing any sim needs. Actually, i find it even counterproductive, as it teaches you to drive by a line (which isn't available in most realistic modes anyway), rather than finding reference points on the track itself. Everyone with a little bit of experience knows how to corner without that anyway. And, it is something you won't have in reality also, so, get real. :p

jaxx_za, Alistair McKinley and Eero like this.
  7. ShredatorFIN

ShredatorFIN Alien

It might be in anyway, as Kunos said ACC will be "also more approachable for newcomers". I never used those, but I guess it can make the game more accessible. However, if you disable that, did you really learn anything. When you can't rely on it anymore, you're likely overshooting corners anyway. If you learn the hard way (restarting because you overshot a corner) you might learn to remember the corners faster

8. chakko

chakko Alien

Yeah, exactly. In the long run, i find it harder than trying to figure out the brake points yourself. At Monza e.g., i brake exactly at the 150 metre mark for the first chicane, in the Cayman GT4. Much better to orientate on track markers than on a racing line which is not there anymore when it gets serious.

Alistair McKinley likes this.
  9. Andrew_WOT

Andrew_WOT Alien

So true, I have developed some bad habits when using it at the beginning, the best thing for "newcomers" is to disable it as quick as possible, or you'll never learn how to drive or race as your eyes will keep focusing on that glowing line with very little else around getting your attention.
    Like rat following Pied Piper of Hamelin. :)

10. Speed RacerX

Speed RacerX Gamer

Dynamic Braking Markers found at key points just before a corner. That can help you understand if you are to fast approaching a corner, for example. The more "approachable for newcomers" is why I asked though. Although I'm just finding out about that in a recent post. Which does answer the question.

I originally ask because I realize that we learn this differently. Some don't need it because it's completely distracting, which is understandable. While others need it as an aid until they learn the track then they can disable it. Or perhaps leave it enabled if it doesn't bother them. Some are simply not keen to finding natural braking markers on the track at high speeds.

It's all in how the brain works I guess.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
    Alistair McKinley likes this.
  11. kakusso

kakusso Hardcore Simmer

I used to admire a racing driver in the F1 20xx series games, so I decided to search YouTube for his name. I was so disappointed to see that he used the dynamic racing line.
    He simply didn't have to do any judgement, he just kept the line at the right color driving as fast as possible. To me that is equivalent to cheating.
    Just unfair in online racing. I hope Kunos keeps that cheat out of online sessions.

12. Alistair McKinley

I wouldn't go as far as to call it "cheating".
    Since this line is changing all of the time, he/she has to perceive the changes and react to them; i.e. line gets red = brake, line gets green = accelerate.
    If you know a track and the behaviour of the car by heart you do this automatically.
    But I understand your point.

13. Turk

Turk Alien

I think the best way to learn something is to do it wrong a hundred times. Then you know for sure your doing it the right way. I really don't see any advantage to following those lines in a sim. At best your trying to do what everyone else is doing. You don't really learn the whole track, you don't learn how to recover from mistakes, or find different ways around the corner almost as fast as the ideal line which give you options for overtaking.

14. Speed RacerX

Speed RacerX Gamer

It's the difference in learning styles people have. What you exampled is something called logical learning style. What I suggested is called a visual (Spatial) learning style.
    The end results remain the same. However, how one "learns it" is different.

Besides since this is an optional endeavor I find it hard to justify criticism as if it's mandated. It is not.