1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Why am I still so slow?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by vittau, Jul 22, 2018.

1. pankykapus

pankykapus KS Dev Team Staff Member KS Dev Team

@Everyone: OT warning also applies to you, please stay on topic or refrain from posting.

sissydriver, martcerv and DuckeyTapey like this.
  2. chksix

chksix Hardcore Simmer

Going VR is the best way to gain seconds on a track. My times dropped 3 seconds once I got used to the new view. The brake mod for G29 from Ricmotech made my braking more consistent too.
    There's also great track tutorials by Driver56 on youtube (I hope I got the name right, can't check here on the work PC).
    I'm also cheating a bit while learning by setting the option to exaggerate understeer since the G29 doesn't give as much feedback as I'd like. Can't afford a DD wheel yet.

vittau likes this.
  3. Turk

Turk Alien

I'd agree that the Nords isn't the best place to be learning race craft. It's like learning to swim in the Atlantic during a hurricane. I think learning on a more basic track like Monza is going to be more useful for monitoring what your doing right or wrong. Also, do really long seasons, at least half an hour.

Mogster and vittau like this.
  4. Serge M

Serge M Alien

For getting faster I’d say pick a track you enjoy that’s not Nordschleife unless you are willing to commit hundreds of hours. Set the grip to 100%, damage off, tyre wear and fuel usage all off. That way you can do lap after lap with as little external variables as possible and just do many laps.

Another thing that will help heaps is joining a league, that way the really fast drivers will give you a benchmark to aim for and people will generally help with advise and set ups.

vittau and paul_wev like this.
  5. MrDeap

MrDeap Hardcore Simmer

Another trick to not screw up the line...

If you envision with the front to get the apex, you're more likely bound to screw up the racing line. Use the rear inside wheel as a reference to hit the apex. If the rear is aligned to the apex, you're more likely to get an optimal exit point.
    [​IMG]
    There's the slip angle that change the path based on the ackerman geometry, but the difference is little.

Positioning before the entry phase point, the beginning of the exit phase(apex) & the end of the exit phase is a useful skillset.

aotto1977 likes this.
  6. zamex23

zamex23 Simracer

After watching your video, even tho onboard would be better. You can easily see that you are not using full track, always 1-2m of space between car and white lines, not optimal. You miss apex quite often, brake too late on some corners and choosing right lines. Example is first two corners, you are not using full track potential and after acceleration you go on the left side, which would be ok for normal track, but on Nordschleife you stay on the right side and go straight and hit apex on third corner. Watch some onboard videos of driving instructor for Nordschleife. This is long track, every corner you miss you can easily add +0,100 s and because you missed quite lot of them and make few bigger mistakes like in Breidscheid, everything is pilling up.

Ace Pumpkin and vittau like this.
  7. Depends on what the exit looks like and/or how the car handles... It's all about angle and what you can get away with and cut the most corner whilst maintaining speed and still stay on power. Just showing an out of context image doesnt mean anything.

LATE4APEX and gandlers like this.
  8. vittau

vittau Rookie

Well, VR is quite expensive, so I'm not gonna get that any time soon, haha.
    How does the extra understeer FB helps? Never felt like I needed to try it... The only situations I really wished for better FFB are when I need to catch snap oversteer...

Well, it's just that I really love Nordschleife haha. But yes, I will practice some more on smaller tracks.

Nice tip about disabling damage, tire wear and fuel usage. :)

I really don't feel like committing to leagues and stuff at the moment though...

Thank you for all the tips. :)
    Yes, I have to say sometimes I lack the balls to use full track width on the Nordschleife, due to these giant kerbs of hell. Also, I didn't think I was braking too late... :( Can you point some specific turns where I was braking particularly too late?

9. chksix

chksix Hardcore Simmer

The extra understeer feel is dropping the torque on the wheel when the tyres go past their max slip angle. I need the sharp drop off to feel it better. Ideal would be a DD wheel where you could almost feel the tyres flexing when turning in :)

vittau likes this.
  10. Serge M

Serge M Alien

The other thing I would suggest is focus on breaking. Initial braking should be max force then as the car loses speed gradually come off the brake and start getting on the throttle, this should be a fairly fast but smooth transition. If you are braking deep in to the corner you are coming off the brakes and turning in at the same time. Most of the braking happens in a straight line but the last part as you are coming off the brakes is during turn in. If you are still hard on the brakes and trying to turn in the car won’t turn much at all and you will miss the apex and run wide. Hope that makes sense :)

Important thing is to be smooth on both brakes and throttle, they are not on and off switches after all

Vibe Style and paul_wev like this.
  11. MrDeap

MrDeap Hardcore Simmer

12. Ace Pumpkin

Ace Pumpkin Alien

:D:)
    At least after surviving that you can swim everywhere.

Turk and jsmith.ls.uk like this.
  13. Guidofoc

Guidofoc Alien

@vittau the thing about using VR is that it gives you a more realistic FOV, and that helps a lot to avoid under-steering or over-braking because you can evaluate distances better. If you cannot afford VR and you are on a single screen like me, then reducing the FOV may help you obtain a similar result. I also agree with @chksix about the brakes: to me a harder brake pedal makes it much easier to use muscle memory when braking and that helps.

Vibe Style and chksix like this.
  14. VR actually makes braking harder because it's harder get reference points. It might be a slightly beneficial on mid-corner and how you're positioning your car but the lack in image clarity and how it affects your braking phase is probably one of its biggest downsides. You go with the reference points anyway. I think good quality pedals are still the best hardware upgrade to improve lap times. And even then the gain comes in the form of consistency more than in pure speed.

15. QFT

16. Wizzard 1969

Wizzard 1969 Gamer

This is a great thread for me I’m struggling with all this as well. However my struggle is Laguna Seca driving the Mercedes Amg Sls

17. LeiF

LeiF Alien

Post an onboard video if you can!

(I assume you mean the road car not the GT3)

Tricky car to master, for me it was easier to learn the car on ST tires them move up to SM, as SM are faster but also much less forgiving.

This car you really gotta be comfortable in any drift situation or it’s gonna bite you hard. Brake early, get power down early and don’t spin up the rears unless using this to rotate the car, and try to avoid 2nd gear if possible (very sideways very easily).

18. Wizzard 1969

Wizzard 1969 Gamer

Yes road car and in vr not sure how to post video and thanks for the tips anything helps

19. Andy-R

Andy-R Alien

Just to add a counter argument to chksix, I don't thing VR made me faster apart from maybe super tight corners where you can look around them. I'm not saying he is wrong just that it might vary person to person whether or not you gain much time from VR :)

20. Poguinhas

Poguinhas Alien

Having a quick read at your OP, I can tell two things:
    1 - The Nordschleife isn't a good place to improve your driving skills: It's a one-off circuit and it's really difficult to identify where you're losing time. The only thing you're improving by driving there is your knowledge of the circuit itself.
    2 - 278 hours is insignificant for simracing, I'm well past 1000 hours and am still more than 10 seconds off the pace at the nordschleife on GT3 cars. Of course only playing for hour after hour when you're unable to identify your weaknesses isn't gonna be very productive, but you shouldn't beat yourself up for being 19s off pace when you're below 300 hours of play time.

SidewayzShuffle// and vittau like this.