1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

High VRAM usage

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by V8_KB, Aug 5, 2018.

1. V8_KB

V8_KB Alien

I figured I'd post in chit chat rather than support forum since it's most likely something on my end, and not an AC issue. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to play AC on a 1GB card a while ago.

Recently I did a fresh system install on my PC and I have an issue with high VRAM usage in AC which causes pretty annoying performance.
    With my settings from the signature I have max VRAM usage (~3500MB) even with less than 20 cars on Nords. Ok they are mid-high settings, but with absolutely min settings I have ~3000MB VRAM usage in the same scenario, so something's off here.
    In hotlap it's 1300-1400MB on min and 1800-1900MB on settings from signature.

Tried with no mods, cleared my documents folder and still no luck. Like I said it's a fresh install so the chances for some junk on the PC are pretty slim.

Any ideas what might be the problem and most importantly solution?

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Hardware Discussions High VRAM usage. Aug 14, 2019
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds High vram usage after 1.2.3 update. Aug 10, 2015
    ACC Online Leagues / Championships room ACC Official Server higher requirement Jan 30, 2024
    ACC Multiplayer CPU high in Server stats - my CPU or Server CPU? May 24, 2023
    ACC Hardware Discussions Motion not as smooth on side monitors as middle monitor - Triple Monitor Setup (with high FPS!) Mar 22, 2023
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Highlights/ replays Jan 28, 2023
    ACC Virtual Reality [ACC] [VR] [OpenXR] [OpenComposite] High-clarity settings for HP Reverb G2 on Nvidia RTX3080 Nov 12, 2022
    ACC Hardware Discussions Help on building a high end PC for ACC triple+1 screens setup Oct 27, 2022
    ACC Troubleshooting Game Crash during loading [audio device - too high bitrate] Jul 11, 2022
    ACC Controls & Peripherals Tuning out high Spring / Return-to-center with SC2 Pro? Feb 7, 2022
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds high GPU usage: 400%? Jan 17, 2022
    ACC User Interface MFD Bug causing 2 options to be highlighted. Dec 31, 2021
    ACC Troubleshooting Gameplay not smooth even at high FPS and with VSYNC on Dec 28, 2021
    ACC Gameplay Save highlights of the race Aug 30, 2021
    ACC Screenshots & Videos ACC Highlands Drift + My custom clusterboard Aug 3, 2021

3. Serge M

Serge M Alien

Same OS reload? Possibly windows itself using more video memory. If it’s latest windows 10 you can check VRAM usage in task manager before you launch AC

mms likes this.
  4. Winston

Winston Hardcore Simmer

Just to help others think about your issue, have you made any hardware changes in conjunction with the fresh install?
    Also this was a re-install of Windows 7 correct?

5. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

On Nords I also have very high VRAM usage in AC - 3.5 GB sounds familiar. I never tried it with min settings, though. Did you check the usage before the reinstall to know if it's even an issue or if it has been like that, al the time?

Can you please elaborate on "pretty annoying performance"? What does it look like and how do you get the idea it's from high VRAM usage?

6. V8_KB

V8_KB Alien

Yeah same old Win 7.
    No hardware changes at all.
    And here's the silly thing and another reason why I created this thread in chit chat.
    I didn't play AC for a while and I had monitoring in MSI AB turned off since everything was silky smooth, except when testing new mod. Now the image isn't smooth at all. To be honest I have no idea what it might be and I can't say it's the VRAM usage for sure, but it was weird for me that it was full with half the grid. It was the same on Laguna Seca with full grid. But then it was far less on Vallelunga last night.

Now I suspect that maybe my HDD is showing signs of wear after 6 years. Yesterday after I wrote my first post in this thread I joined 911R @ Vallelunga server, VRAM usage was ~1800MB with ~15 cars on the grid so it was OK. But again the performance wasn't, I thought maybe the temps aren't right since it's pretty hot summer here. But the highest was 63C for GPU and 60C for CPU, so I don't think they are that high to cut down performance? RAM is also OK since I double checked it recently with my old 2x4GB sticks I have laying around. FPS was ~60-90 yet it felt like 30-40 most of the time.

I'm aware that my rig isn't really that good, but then I'm not complaining about being unable to run triples or 4K with maxed AC. ;)
    I just noticed that performance isn't what it used to be, most importantly it isn't smooth at all and it's hardly playable like that.
    Thanks for the response guys. I'll test the HDD with HD Tune tonight.

7. André57

André57 Racer

Hi, A few month back I had a similar lost of performances. Fortunately it happens just after a video card driver update. I rollback to the previous version and thing were back to normal. I had note the driver number and wait for the next one.
    Through years it happens at least twice, something like bad combo driver / card. Just my 2 cents anyway. Good luck with your issue hope you find out.

8. V8_KB

V8_KB Alien

I did test the HDD and error scan result says 1.1% damaged blocks. I couldn't run the benchmark test because it gives me "read error! test aborted" message. I guess it's time for a replacement while it still works.

Yeah usually I go with "if it ain't broken don't fix it" rule when it's about the GPU drivers. Now I'm on the newest nV drivers but I checked 388.x or something around that number, same issue on both.
    Any recommendations for the "right" drivers version? Since I'm about to replace my HDD anyway...

9. André57

André57 Racer

Just check my actual driver is 398.36 and my very week system seems to be stable. In fact I have tried the latest one during the weekend and had a few display hiccups so when back to 398.6.

10. V8_KB

V8_KB Alien

So with HDD replaced it turns out that everything is smooth again. VRAM is still full with full grid on Nords which is fine with settings from signature I suppose. But I'm still not sure why it was at 3GB with min settings and half the grid, that seems not right to me. Well as long as it's smooth I'm fine with it.

11. Andrew_WOT

Andrew_WOT Alien

What's your system paging file settings, try to set it to system managed.

12. V8_KB

V8_KB Alien

Yeah that's how it's set.

13. LeiF

LeiF Alien

Actually Win7 often does not set the page file to the correct size, I have seen it set itself to as low as 10% of the minimum that Microsoft themselves recommend, sometimes it is better to just override and set sensible minimum and maximum values.

14. Serge M

Serge M Alien

And if you have an SSD and 16GB of RAM or more then turning it of entirely is not the worst idea either

15. Andrew_WOT

Andrew_WOT Alien

Depends, COD WWII for instance will blow with out of memory with all cached textures that GPU maps to system memory.
    Making paging file system managed is an official workaround for this one.
    In theory AC should not be that heavy, except some tracks and mods.

But does this all really applies to you, if vram consumption changed all over sudden with the same game and content?
    Do you have NVidia caching enabled?

16. V8_KB

V8_KB Alien

About the page file. Before replacing HDD I tried all combinations, off, fixed value and system managed. Now I left it at default system managed.

How do I check that?

17. Andrew_WOT

Andrew_WOT Alien

18. Andrew_WOT

Andrew_WOT Alien

Some useful info on shader cache from overclock.net

V8_KB likes this.
  19. Andrew_WOT

Andrew_WOT Alien

Speaking of precompiled shaders impact on performance.
    As in VR my system is mostly CPU bound, ran a quick test with dynamic lighting shaders.
    Cleaned up NVidia cache
    First run:
    Code:
    AC VERSION: 1.16.3 (x64)
    FPS: AVG=71 MIN=33 MAX=115 VARIANCE=2 CPU=94%
    LOADING TIME: 19s
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti (1920x1080)
    OS-Version: 6.2.9200 () 0x300-0x1
    CPU CORES: 6
    FULLSCREEN: ON
    AA:4X AF:16X SHDW:1024 BLUR:0
    WORLD DETAIL: 3 SMOKE:1
    PP: QLT:2 HDR:1 FXAA:0 GLR:2 DOF:0 RAYS:1 HEAT:0
    Next run right after the first one with shaders cache populated:
    Code:
    AC VERSION: 1.16.3 (x64)
    FPS: AVG=76 MIN=33 MAX=152 VARIANCE=3 CPU=94%

LOADING TIME: 17s
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti (1920x1080)
    OS-Version: 6.2.9200 () 0x300-0x1
    CPU CORES: 6
    FULLSCREEN: ON
    AA:4X AF:16X SHDW:1024 BLUR:0
    WORLD DETAIL: 3 SMOKE:1
    PP: QLT:2 HDR:1 FXAA:0 GLR:2 DOF:0 RAYS:1 HEAT:0

And reprojection turned off much sooner than in first case.

V8_KB likes this.
  20. Neilski

Neilski Alien

How can you tell if reprojection is happening? (I don't have VR yet...)

21. LeiF

LeiF Alien

Indeed, sadly none of my customers have more than 8 GB of RAM so I have not tested that in the real world, lol even my gaming rig has only 8 GB and really doesn’t need more.
    Work laptop does have 32 GB and a 1 TB M2 SSD so I may have to test ;)