1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Graphics

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by Winston, Aug 11, 2018.

1. Winston

Winston Hardcore Simmer

I have a couple of questions regarding graphics it would be good to get opinions on.

Is there a trick to producing the stunning graphics in the trailer (the one with the sparks) which means we won't see that level of fidelity in real-time whilst playing the game regardless of machine spec. Some rendering process for instance?

Also would it be useful for Kunos to publish (on release) some reference graphic settings for the best possible image quality? I'm thinking of monitor output rather than VR as VR is very user preference/hardware dependent although any VR suggestions would be welcome. Also I'm referring to video control panel settings as I guess the in game settings answer is to 'max everything out'.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    Graphics and Models/Tracks Bugs & Issues Misano - skybox black flashes, graphics glitches, FPS drops Mar 10, 2024
    ACC Troubleshooting Fatal Error - Problem with AMD Graphics Card? - Solved May 7, 2023
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions graphics old assetto corsa Mar 13, 2023
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions horrible graphics. Jan 9, 2023
    ACC Troubleshooting (1.8.19) UE4-AC2 crashes every time after I bought new graphics card. Dec 6, 2022
    ACC Troubleshooting Graphics/lag on race updates Sep 27, 2022
    ACC Troubleshooting FPS is low with new Graphicscard RTX 3080 Sep 6, 2022
    ACC Troubleshooting Assetto Corsa Compeotizione - G923 - turning steering wheel freezes graphics but sound still plays Mar 27, 2022
    Screens & Videos HP Reverb G2 - VR Guide to get 90fps with amazing crystal clear graphics Mar 11, 2022
    ACC Troubleshooting Terrible shadow rendering no matter what graphics used Jan 25, 2022
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars How to get sharpest/crispiest graphics after V1.8? Jan 16, 2022
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions PS4 Pro Graphics Dec 22, 2021
    ACC User Interface graphics setup effect by screenshot preview? Aug 16, 2021
    Screens & Videos Classic Cars Trackday at Feldbergring | Realistic Graphics | Porsche 911 RS 2.7 1973 Aug 12, 2021
    ACC Troubleshooting The ultimate tweak compilation (smooth graphics, prevent stutter, frame drops) Jul 12, 2021

3. DM2zzion

DM2zzion Hardcore Simmer

There is one video of Spa where Aris is driving ACC and you can see the cars in front of him "sparking around". Definitely no video post processing for the trailer this time (unlike that one AC trailer).

4. Andrew_WOT

Andrew_WOT Alien

I guess predefined presets Low, Medium, High, Ultra would help.
    Also something similar to what you can see in CM when clicking i button next to graphics setting. It explains what it is and impact on performance for different settings. Some additional info on whether it's CPU or GPU based would help to tune individual system, VR especially, even more.

5. Epistolarius

Epistolarius Alien

Why do you think that would be the case? The only "trick" will be downsampling for a 1080p Youtube trailer, which basically everyone does. Everything else in terms of graphics seems plausible to me, they're good but not anything "next-gen". You can even see some rendering issues like the running shadows, some flickering LoDs and some reflections stuff (it's still WIP after all). If you don't want to believe the trailer check out the gameplay footage they put out.

6. Authense

Authense Gamer

I agree that this would be easy to do, also for VR. It is basically a simple table with maybe 5-7 relevant settings against minimum CPU, average CPU and top notch CPU on the one side and the same for GPUs. Minimum CPU combined with minimum GPU will turn out as minimum settings for most in order to get reasonable framerates with monitors or HMDs.

There is actually now way other than FPS to tell if your getting the best image quality possible. I personally run Vive, 1080ti@2.0 Ghz and 7700k@4,9Ghz and there are several possible setups that give me 90 FPS but I am still not sure if I get the best image quality.

Also, strange enough and also reported by others, the more I challenge the GPU the better the FPS to a certain extend. On low settings the GPU seems to be waiting for the CPU and reduces FPS, on high settings the GPU becomes the bottleneck (i.e. with PP filter, high settings and Supersampling high).

I would also like to know how Kunos people setup low, mid and highend PCs up for best visual quality and it should not be a big deal to post some suggestions.

Chris

7. boabmatic

boabmatic Hardcore Simmer

this was an interesting vid to watch about bottlenecks between CPU and GPU which refers to your statement "the more I challenge the GPU the better the FPS to a certain extend. On low settings the GPU seems to be waiting for the CPU and reduces FPS, on high settings the GPU becomes the bottleneck"

8. Authense

Authense Gamer

There you go. Good video.

I can drive SS up until my 1080ti starts stuttering, but CPU utilization stays pretty much the same with a 7700k OC. I wasn't able to do the same with a standard 7700@4,2 as it bootlenecked the GPU right from the start due what the application is wanting it to do.

But when I keep SS low on my current machine (which is nothing but low resolution on a standard monitor), the CPU already gets pretty much utilized by number of opponents (race driving) with the GPU more or less rolling her thumbs.

Bottom line - and as the guy says - it has to do with your application. In Assetto Corsa or Project Cars I want to have a minimum of 15 opponents and still get 90 FPS regardless the SS setting. So you need a strong CPU to begin with. But then if you want to improve image quality it is all down to the GPU to render fast enough at higher resolutions in order to get 90 FPS.

If CPU and GPU don't match then there is not much you can do, the slower will set the limits in pretty much all 3D applications and in AC for sure.

9. Andrew_WOT

Andrew_WOT Alien

We had discussion on that in VR thread. This article pretty much sums up the problem with AC and it's single rendering thread. https://medium.com/@toncijukic/draw-calls-in-a-nutshell-597330a85381
    Hopefully UE4 can do multithreaded draw calls or we still get tanked by CPU single thread performance.

Eero likes this.
  10. Authense

Authense Gamer

That is very interesting, thanks for sharing. Since I have become more aware of this issue I see other things happening in parallel: GPU calculates physics as she is the more powerful processor in my Computer and it is also advised to set it up like that on the Nvidia control panel. But anyway, I have tried both ways and the chances are much higher that I get FFB lagging or clipping with the CPU doing the math rather than the GPU.

Now being on the edge of my hardware really driving it to the max possible performance, I can literally feel slightest differences in the FFB details between first lap and first corners , continuing to improve the more the cars separate and then soon becoming perfect. The GPU is so busy in the beginning that the FFB calls seem to get slightly delayed, somewhat reduced or even given up on (i.e. shakes, rumbles), not even close to unacceptable (because then I would reduce the GPU toll) but the wheel and the shock are significantly more detailed and responsive as soon as I have reached 90 FPS constantly.

It doesn't need to be the case for everyone, but I do understand a lot better earlier comments and complaints on forums about FFB issues in VR because I would expect everyone coming from 4K trying to max out the VR image quality for more immersion. OC the GPU is another factor in this. If she is running on the absolute maximum possible and we optimize graphics and number of cars against it, then there is no headroom left for anything else. I can see that in short 1-2sec framedrops (2 or 3 frames, no big deal) when something on Steam or more potentially Windows happens in the background or maybe when Afterburner is stabilizing the voltage and what not...

Solution is simple: Max out everything for the default track, grid and required settings including SS and make it work at target FPS through overclocking but then reduce the GPU toll by 5-10% (i.e. reducing some of the SS or some of the GPU heavy graphic settings) to reserve some headroom.

11. Serge M

Serge M Alien

Your GPU has nothing to do with physics in AC... lol. A GPU can do physics (very well) if the software is written to use it or Nvidia physics X is used by the software dev.

LeDude83, bgil66, mms and 1 other person like this.
  12. Serge M

Serge M Alien

13. Rudski

Rudski Alien

Here's an idea of the price.

Pricing
    Quadro RTX 8000 with 48GB memory: $10,000 estimated street price
    Quadro RTX 6000 with 24GB memory: $6,300 ESP
    Quadro RTX 5000 with 16GB memory: $2,300 ESP

Availability
    Quadro RTX GPUs will be available starting in the fourth quarter on nvidia.com

14. Authense

Authense Gamer

Hi Serge, my bad as my hypothesis sounds like a scientific fact which it isn't and it is also wrong. But let me explain: I don't know too much about the programming and the technical details and a quick research proves you right, AC does not seem use the nvidia physics engine. Ok. I deserved your LOL.

I am playing VR since April, so I am a late mover I guess. My subjective impressions are based on hours and hours of testing, lots of research and reading and observations as to how my system reacts to certain settings, not more and not less.

Because of your appreciated response, I have just tested the PhysX setting again and now I have to say I don't know why but here are the results for my reference race (Spa, 15 cars on the grid) at the settings in my signature:

PhysX tied to CPU: 77 FPS at the start of the race and never reaching 90 FPS through the first lap, in fact still stuttering throughout following laps close to 90.
    PhysX tied to GPU: 86 FPS at the start of the race and already reaching 90 FPS on the straight towards Eau Rouge.

If it's true that PhysX are being calculated by the CPU either way (I don't doubt that), where else does this significant difference come from as I am only changing one particular setting? I am not trying to say I am right though a backdoor, I would just like to understand cause and effect as my observation is correct for whatever reason.

Your thoughts on this?

Thanks,
    Chris

15. Eero

Eero Hardcore Simmer

AC doesn't use PhysX, let alone GPU accerlated PhysX as far as I know.

stefanoCasillo likes this.
  16. Authense

Authense Gamer

Yes, we have been there already.