1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Assetto Corsa Competizione - RayTracing confirmed?

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by Deatroy, Aug 17, 2018.

1. There's a post now up on Nvidias site https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/assetto-corsa-competizione-rtx-ray-tracing/

"At a later date, it will upgrade its cutting-edge Unreal Engine 4 visuals with bleeding-edge NVIDIA RTX Ray Tracing, elevating its graphical fidelity."

I run a dev team (construction software) and we have some very smart graphics people including a shader artist, today lots of discussion about RTX and what it (could) potentially mean. After discussing limitations of rasterisation vs ray tracing, you can't "unsee" things. Blissful ignorance is way cheaper...

I have a feeling that once done, racing at dusk with water on the track is just going to be goooooorgeous.

[​IMG]

trucidatio, ZioYuri78, mms and 2 others like this.
  2. Raklödder

Raklödder Simracer

I was so looking forward to get my hands on a 2060 or something along those lines, but seeing how the 2080 Ti almost cost $1800 at the Sweden retailers, it's safe to say that the 2060 will cost a fortune as well.

This is what happens when one company has the monopoly (or more correctly, no competition for 3 years) and AMD need to step up their game or we will have to keep paying premium prices for our graphics cards.

mESCx likes this.
  3. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

Am I missing something here? AMD has competitors for every NVIDIA 10xx GPU except for the 1080ti. They're usually late to the party with their new series but performance wise they usually succeed.

4. liakjim

liakjim Alien

We need to wait for real life benchmarks since 99% of the users buy GPU taking into account the performance/dollars ratio.

Στάλθηκε από το m2 note μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

5. Epistolarius

Epistolarius Alien

Let's face it, AMD has needed to step up the game for a while. If it's not the performance or specific technologies it's usually the power draw and thermals that hold their cards back.

I'm all for a competitive market, but I'm not buying into a brand just because of that, I'm buying hardware that fits my needs and is reasonably priced in relation to the performance at the specific time I want to upgrade, for me for the last three cards that's been the case with Nvidia.

Seen a lot of complaints about pricing on the net too... I've got to ask, do you need the newest of the new if it's too expensive for you? Why not wait? The market will adjust if it's priced too high.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
    NetracingEurope.org and mms like this.
  6. Epistolarius

Epistolarius Alien

Pretty sure that's the case, especially since something like Nvidia RTX or by extension Microsoft DXR would run in software mode on older hardware. Would be a huge oversight if you couldn't toggle it like other graphics settings.

7. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

I think people are freaking out because they think their rigs MUST be able to run raytracing in 2 weeks, lol.

As per the link posted by @liakjim, the 2080Ti can't run Shadow of the Tomb Raider with raytracing at 1080p and stable 60 but with an AVG 0f 40 FPS.
    Furthermore, it appears that in that title, you can just deactivate raytracing (with the game still looking great):

So it seems to be a fancy option that's a "can" for those with this much cash to spend and the ones with a "tight" budget can still enjoy future games without this feature.

As for AMD: yes, they're behind and need to catch up - no doubt. But they're not that far behind IMO.

Still, I already looked up a G-Sync replacement Monitor for my FreeSync one :p Much like VR for others - adaptive sync is something I can not un-see ;-)

8. Eero

Eero Hardcore Simmer

Marco and ACC appear briefly in this video at 1:27

D.Jankovic likes this.
  9. SunBro

SunBro Alien

This new tech is amazing and i'm glad kunos got to be a part of it when it happened.

BUT

The media is trying too hard for this to work guys. As some people said, this will work only in 1080p 30fps scenario. As a graphic whore of more than 10 years, i knew what ray tracing was back in the 8800gt days and believe me, true ray tracing is an INCREDIBLY tasking process on the system. We still have another 5 years to have ray tracing work flawlessly at 1080p 60 fps levels. But it's still very good of nvidia to be the one trying to break the mold and advance the technology and bring ray tracing to consumer level (It existed on the industrial level for years.)

Lawndart and Psit like this.
  10. Raklödder

Raklödder Simracer

It's hardly "competition" at twice the wattage/heat and sound. That's just lack of effort and was the reason why the former AMD chief architect Raja Koduri was kicked out of the company.

11. chuky

chuky Alien

Seriously, there's something really false about the ACC part of the Geforce presentation. Contrary to what he says, the sun doesn't create soft shadows, rays are parallel because the sun is very far. So the handrail can't make soft shadows. Just try in real life, it's the perfect time of the year. Soft shadows are visible when the size of the light is big enough, or the light is close enough.

edit : when the sun make soft shadows it's an edge effect, it's something else.
    edit 2 : after checking irl and on google streetview, I admit when the sky is blue, shadows are still a little bit softer when the object is far from it's shadow. So I guess in theory they could measure the distance of the shadow ray and make the shadow softer depending on the weather.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
  12. Speed RacerX

Speed RacerX Gamer

Here you go. An example of the performance (which was lacking in the keynote) using a RTX with ray traced shadow, lights, reflections. But not the whole game.
    http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Grafi...ormance-in-Shadow-of-the-Tomb-Raider-1263244/

As you can see with a RTX 2080 TI at 1080p peaked around 40 FPS.
    That's right, 40 FPS.
    RIP Performance, RIP.
    What do you think you will get with your current hardware now?
    Here's a hint...its lower then 40 FPS.

After_Midnight and Znam Neznam like this.
  13. Funny how a couple days ago just the idea of some form of ray tracing was next to unthinkable. Fast forward a couple days and now this new tech is unusable/worthless because it won't run 4k 120fps on day one. People are weird.

14. GRFOCO

GRFOCO Alien

well...
    Seems like neither 1080p @ 60fps...
    :rolleyes:

(with an extreme v-card above 1300€)

miky, Speed RacerX and mESCx like this.
  15. I would imagine the tech will be used for screens and replay vids for the most part. The fact that it is even possible at all is a pretty big deal, but that seems lost on most of you guys.

16. GRFOCO

GRFOCO Alien

i'm hyped by this new technology. At all. Like you.

But people doesn't cry because of "it won't run 4k 120fps".
    Here we are talking about <60fps @ 1080p, wich is very different.

Sure, day1, optimization, evolution. Yes, right factors for sure.
    But also remember that we are talking about an extreme video card from 1300€, not an average "medium-high" hardware.
    If this are the performances (starting performances, ok) on that hardware, it simply means that almost noone could benefit from them in their pc.

Happy to be wrong, and to see huge steps forward coming from engines, drivers, optimizations, whatever

17. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

I disagree because it's not twice the wattage but - according to a quick search - 295 vs. 180 Watts as per spec sheet which equates to 63 % higher TDP for the Vega 64 over the 1080. AMD has a history of poor power settings and by reducing the lower core voltage limit the consumption can be reduced to something about 20 % higher than what the NVidia counterpart takes.
    I also highly doubt that noise claim. There should be no issue when picking a decent design.
    And anyways: those two factors are disadvantages from an engineering POV, mainly. The customer cares most about performance/price. That was an issue, for sure as AMD was too expensive. It slowly evens out these days.

18. Expecting this tech to run smoothly at 60fps during gameplay for >$2000 just doesn't seem very realistic to me.

Early adopters of new tech pay a premium for a product that is usually quickly obsolete. No reason for this to be an exception.

Speed RacerX and mms like this.
  19. Nick Moxley

Nick Moxley Alien