1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Assetto Corsa Competizione - RayTracing confirmed?

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by Deatroy, Aug 17, 2018.

1. Znam Neznam

Znam Neznam Hardcore Simmer

thats really horrible fps with top of the line 2080ti, obviously with ray tracing being very computationally expensive but still wow.

would rather get 1080ti and run 4k 60fps or 1440p for $600-700.

let the price drop on 10 series start!

2. Echo_29

Echo_29 Hardcore Simmer

I run in VR so RT will be useless for me, I just want to know if we can increase supersampling/graphics settings when running in VR with a solid 90FPS. They say the new card is 6 times faster than the next best card, will wait to see if this is true when we get some benchmarks.

jaxx_za likes this.
  3. BrunUK

BrunUK Alien

Ray tracing unconfirmed, lol.

I hate to think Kunos would use significant resources to implement this, even if there's financial backing from nvidia. There are other proprietary technologies (single-pass stereo for VR) which would be of benefit to a far greater number of people. Not that I'd expect nvidia to contribute anything towards the development of that, given that's it's been pretty much ignored for two years.

Rosko, Andrew_WOT and Speed RacerX like this.
  4. BrunUK

BrunUK Alien

You honestly believe a card could be *six* times faster from one generation to the next? That's obviously referring to ray tracing potential, for which there was no specific hardware on Pascal.

If Turing ran regular games significantly faster we'd have heard about it yesterday. The silence speaks volumes.

5. Echo_29

Echo_29 Hardcore Simmer

From the sounds of it, it's just a 1080ti with RT support.

6. Deatroy

Deatroy Alien

"For existing games, Turing will deliver 2x the performance and 4K HDR gaming at 60 FPS on even the most demanding titles."

They say 50%, surely peak numbers.
    I guess 40% more power normally.

Source:
    https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2018/08/20/geforce-rtx-real-time-ray-tracing/

Gesendet von meinem HTC One mit Tapatalk

7. Andrew_WOT

Andrew_WOT Alien

Watch from 33 minutes and have a good laugh

Accordingly to Huang "it's irresponsible amount of power' LOL :)
    upload_2018-8-21_10-59-42.png

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
    Lawndart and Deatroy like this.
  8. chuky

chuky Alien

Tu vuò fà la Competiziano

Kopiller, GRFOCO, MrKubool and 5 others like this.
  9. Lawndart

Lawndart Hardcore Simmer

This right here. Not a single benchmark of games in the presentation. According to leading tech blogs, reading detailed specs, it can’t be more than 20% faster than a 1080ti at best. And the heavy promo of proprietary features was smoke screen.

But $$$ to performance? With the 2080ti marked up 50% higher than a 1080ti new?! Shatters their own price point structure.

I ordered one anyway, as a developer, but after 2 decades of supporting Gfx accelerators there is something really off about this one. Though I do appreciate the 20k version to keep the cripto mining kitties away from the gamer boards.

10. Poguinhas

Poguinhas Alien

The people at Nvidia are geniuses. They had an incredible leap forward with Pascal, both in terms of performance as well as efficiency. So how do you follow that act? Create a new feature that all games simply "must have", and then create the only video cards that are able to support that feature, so now even the best of the best video cards become obsolete.

Honestly, RayTracing seems awesome, but I really don't see any reason to spend 1000+ dollars on a graphics card just to have better shadows and reflections, especially if the performance numbers for the RTX 2080 Ti are as low as some have been saying with RT on.

bgil66 and Stephen Driscoll like this.
  11. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

I guess you're right. Ray tracing is cool but - as it looks right now - not remotely usable with the new gen NVIDIA hardware. It's a strategic move to generate sales. There would have been much, much more user-relevant topics they could have focused on like downsampling performance for VR and low-DPI screen users users or single pass rendering.

The recent past has brought many good new things that require a lot of GPU grunt: VR and high refresh rate screens. These two are proper, immersion boosting technologies adapted by many gamers, already. Instead of focusing on that, NVIDIA releases a feature that - right now - gives you a small benefit while eating up all the ressources you need for really important stuff.

12. Serge M

Serge M Alien

NVIDIA didn’t exactly invent raytracing, it’s been around for a very long time, just never in the consumer space, raytracing has also been added to dx12 earlier this year. All Nvidia did is hardware accelarate it. AMD can and no doubt will do the same

WallyM, Rudski and Deatroy like this.
  13. You can just imagine how this is all playing out behind the scenes:

Nvidia: "We've got Ray tracing running on hardware, in real time, do you want to play"
    Game company: "Do bears s__t in the woods?!?!"
    Game dev team: [remember having worked their whole careers with this Ray Tracing thing not being close to reality]: "Sure, we'll get this code running, but don't for the love of all that is good, put it in the hands of bloggers"
    Dave the Team lead: "Got it, no one will touch it, we just need to show it off on stage, it will be very controlled, we're months off launch - UE4 RTX branch hasn't even made final code yet, we've got tonnnnes of time, just need to get it looking good - performance is later, I'll gaurd it with my life".
    A couple of weeks later, twas the night before Gamescon
    Someone (marketing....): "Oh look here's that Game Demo, I can't find Dave. Why don't we run it on the media machine as well ?"
    Someone else (marketing #2): "Sure sounds good to me"
    Launch.... preorder...
    Bloggers: "We've got to play with this cool new tech, ooo...aaaa....errr... oh look stuttering! to the internets! "
    Public: "Where's the cancel order button"
    Nvidia execs: "Why are we getting spikes in pre order cancels?!?"
    Nvidia marketing: "Have you seen r/nvidia??"
    Dev team collectively: "Dave!!!!"

Regardless of how good (or not..) this next generation of cards will (or wont) be. I for one, am on the glass half full side of the fence, albeit will pragmatically wait till some hard numbers come out. It's an important step forward towards more immersive simming be it 1, 2 or 5 years away..

It's a bold move by Nvidia - they've put a lot of weight on these presentations (plural.. we had SIGGRAPH a few weeks ago). If they completely ___ the bed on it, that's a lot of brand damage to rebuild - so you hope they've done their homework.

14. Turk

Turk Alien

I don't think Nvidia would be releasing ray tracing and promoting that fact unless they knew they'd be making money out of it. They clearly believe it's the future of GPUs and they would know.

15. Serge M

Serge M Alien

It very much is the future of GPU’s, and seems Nvidia has caught AMD sleeping on this one. AMD will inevitably support it as well but if they were really unprepared that could take a fair amount of time (years) and Nvidia will win massive market share in that time

16. Serge M

Serge M Alien

17. ZioYuri78

ZioYuri78 Hardcore Simmer

A game that run at 30fps at 1080p with realtime raytracing it's a miracle, trust me, it's a very heavy calculation to do and it's unbelievable that nowaday we achieved this level of performance.

Dookie, mms and stefanoCasillo like this.
  18. This for sure. The calculations per second are just incredible :eek:

19. Echo_29

Echo_29 Hardcore Simmer

Ray tracing for sure is definitely a tech for the future, the fact we have it in the next gen GPUs its an achievement, and will push the development faster, however I'm sure most gamers would rather run ray tracing off and have better performance, run maxed out ultra settings with very high frames for the smoothest possible gameplay.

20. ZioYuri78

ZioYuri78 Hardcore Simmer

Yup, it's insane :eek:

That's why i will stay with my 1080 for a while...or until i will need it for my job (maybe NVIDIA or Epic can send me a gift :D).