1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Assetto Corsa Competizione - RayTracing confirmed?

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by Deatroy, Aug 17, 2018.

1. Epistolarius

Epistolarius Alien

I believe the Battlefield demo (including what they showed backstage) actually ran at 60. From what I heard the Tomb Raider demo however wasn't as smooth, even the gameplay demo with fewer lights shown backstage. But I would consider here that the devs most likely didn't have a lot of time to prepare for gamescom, and it will be a while still before the first games implement this in public builds.

2. RS10

RS10 Simracer

For both the 9 and 10 series Geforce GPUs the TFlops were indicative for their performance relative to each other.
    960 2.3
    1060 3.4

970 3.4
    1070 5.8
    1070ti 7.8
    2070 7.5

980 4.6
    980ti 5.6
    1080 8.2
    1080ti 10.6
    2080 10.1
    2080ti 13.4

the 1060 was roughly an equivalent to the 970
    the 1070 was an equivalent to the 980ti
    both in avg. FPS/performance and TFlops

the 2070 is level with a 1070ti
    the 2080 is lower than a 1080ti

so if the TFlops are anything to go by the 20 series is maybe 20% faster and at the same time the prices went up one bracket

the 970 was 320€, the 1070 was €500€ (slightly cheaper than a 980), the 2070 is 640€ (the price of a 1080 before the crypto boom)

and none of the games use 'full' ray tracing, it's just shadows in Tomb Raider (which runs at 30-40fps in 1080p) and just reflections in BF V, which according to several outlets kept going down to slideshow FPS in addition to using extremely aggressive LOD, meaning pop-ins and further objects being ignored completely

and all this with a 2080ti - with any of the slower cards you buy the tech which will be completely and utterly useless because the 1070 probably won't be able to even get 30fps

but all this is ofc with a "maybe it's still just the drivers and poor optimization" [edit: and ofc the fact that it's a new achitecture]

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
  3. Psit

Psit Alien

Except it is not raytracing, it is just the beginning towards real raytracing, only raytraced shadows and lighting effects and features such as reflections.
    Even nvidia stated RTX is not raytraced rendering (i am no expert, something along these lines)

Real raytracing hardware will take a long time and will be the way to have photorealistic graphics.

Rosko likes this.
  4. kofotsjanne

kofotsjanne Alien

just imagine how awesome the helmet cam could look in vr with this. maybe not on this generation of gpus or in this game but when its time for Kunos next game and the gpus are more powerful and the developers have got some time to learn how to get the most out of it. by then we will have better vr headsets aswell.

5. they are probably referring to the fact that ray tracing is only used for "secondary bounces" after a first pass is done with normal rasterization techniques... which is the correct thing to do as the result will be exactly the same and rasterization is several order of magnitude faster than raytracing for that.
    But I wouldn't go as far as saying "it's not raytracing".

Psit, GRFOCO, Serge M and 2 others like this.
  6. Andrew_WOT

Andrew_WOT Alien

Wow, if anything NVidia made significant step up from 9th to 10th series, performance almost doubled.
    But personally I wasn't floored switching from 980 to 1080Ti. Sounds like going to 2080 will be even bigger disappointment esp. for the price. Better to wait this gen over.

7. RS10

RS10 Simracer

The step between 9 and 10 series was big BUT it came at a price (literally), the step between the 7 and 9 series was also significant and the cards cost the same or were even cheaper than their predecessors in their respective bracket

8. Andrew_WOT

Andrew_WOT Alien

[​IMG]

Interesting.

RS10 likes this.
  9. ZioYuri78

ZioYuri78 Hardcore Simmer

SteelyEyedMissleMan likes this.
  10. Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
    ZioYuri78 likes this.
  11. RS10

RS10 Simracer

Looks like they took the "boosted" TFlops, which makes the new cards look even worse in comparison

Andrew_WOT likes this.
  12. Znam Neznam

Znam Neznam Hardcore Simmer

The thing that really sucks.

AMD has zero to challenge Nvidia.

AMD Navi won't probably arrive till mid 2019.

Rumor being it will be 1080 levels of performance at 250-300$ which as usual is load of....

These days graphics market is like cell phone market.

$1000+ is just the norm these days.

13. Rudski

Rudski Alien

If we want to render a scene that is full photo-realistic and we want to simulate in real time the interaction of light and all objects, based on current trends such as Moore's law and a few other assumptions, it's still going to take approximately 100 years. Sad face.

Psit likes this.
  14. henri

henri Hardcore Simmer

15. Eero

Eero Hardcore Simmer

8 min presentation about ray tracing in ACC

16. Andrew_WOT

Andrew_WOT Alien

Awesome, never thought that AC could become NVidia poster child.
    Congrats to the team.

17. Torcano

Torcano Alien

Say what you will about ray tracing and all that jazz, we gotta hand it to Kunos for actually trying something new, that is to push the visual aspect of not just sims but games in general. All this from a small team of people that we interact with regularly and know on a name by name basis, that's damn impressive. I cannot think of a single other AAA game in that nvidia line up that I know the names of any developers, all I know are the corporate faces that represent those companies that have employee rosters the size of small towns. All in all, I'd say the Kunos crew are doing fantastic work. To see our niche, borderline obscure hobby being represented on the big stage like this is amazing. :D

18. bgil66

bgil66 Alien

Well thanks to this forum I now know what Ray Tracing is:D

19. Serge M

Serge M Alien

ACC wth raytracing does look very cool, proper mirrors! I wonder how it would behave in VR performance wise. Also so much pretyness is begging for a higher res HMD which brings with it more performance questions. My poor bank account can’t take so much punishment :(

magzire likes this.
  20. Epistolarius

Epistolarius Alien

Personally I don't expect to be able (read: currently justify the price of essentially a new PC) to play the sim with those features soon but I think it's awesome that Kunos are implementing them. Ray tracing has always been this fascinating 'holy grail of computer graphics' and that's on step closer. Pretty cool.

And ultimately I'm just happy that AC actually gets some attention outside our very niche sim crowd.