1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

PHYSICS Aero. I believe I can fly…

Discussion in 'ACC Blog' started by Aristotelis, Sep 8, 2018.

1. RS10

RS10 Simracer

I hope the (aero) damage system will be better than in AC - stuff like damaging the front splitter on curbs, damage to dif or loss of winglets here and there.

The old one was kinda silly, it never felt like the balance of the car changed much, rather that it was just x% slower and lost top speed (correct me if i'm wrong).
    To me it seemed like with some cars you were suddenly an easy target on the straights after some minor contact but sometimes an all around yellow car on the 'aero' parts/body after being punted several times in an open lobby on the very first lap was potentially good enough for a top5 lap (RSR - though i don't use it) on the 5th lap of a short race

LChaves likes this.
  2. You’re wrong. Balance could absolutely be affected from damage.

LeDude83 and Serge M like this.
  3. RS10

RS10 Simracer

On all cars automatically done by the game or did it have to be put in place?

I mean it was just my subjective feeling anyways, we used to turn damage way down on our server to the lowest possible setting after some time (without turning it off) because the effects of the damage were very weird at times (like the aforementioned loss of top speed from slight contact)

4. So .. um. Thankfully my kids were in bed when I was reading this. Because, eh, I had a solid boner the whole time and I didn't even notice until I was done...

5. Georg Siebert

Georg Siebert Simracer

I'm looking forward to the wing interplay but am skeptical about the importance of aero on GT3 cars. With a CL = 2.7 thats only ~350 kg of downforce at 200 km/h. A static balance change from 48% to 50% for a 1mm ride height delta is only a difference of 7kg. If the splitter & diffuser are more sensitive to ride height and rake angle in ACC, that'll be interesting. In the end softer springs and dampers on GT cars will give you much more grip in more situations than to stiffen them up and get the aero stable - that's more relevant for LMP & formula cars.

6. CL=2.7 and air density=1.2 (20 Celsius ish) is more like 500 kg of downforce at 200kph. In any case, softer springs all around don't really help cornering (the load transfer is always going to be the same) unless the track is bumpy.

7. WallyM

WallyM Alien

Like some others have said, it's starting to sound a bit intimidating. I mean, we are armchair sim players, not real engineers. Will we have any hope of making setup changes that we actually understand the impacts of, without totally screwing up the handling?

8. bgil66

bgil66 Alien

9. Strawberry

Strawberry Racer

Wouldn't be Assetto Corsa if the solution to some problem wasn't "just add understeer." lolol

10. Winston

Winston Hardcore Simmer

Great question I was wondering the same

11. Leclettico

Leclettico Gamer

This is what Aris said on his Facebook profile, answering to a similar question.

"You're gonna get base setups and % delta of aero balance shift as you modify the ride heights. More is in the works too. Plus of course, remember that in a sim you have infinite tests and no problems when you crash ;)
    Generally we're trying to give the correct amount of help, without of course showcasing the actual real data as it is under big NDAs
    "

Tim Meuris, Deatroy, Ernie and 3 others like this.
  12. Jynnantonix

Jynnantonix Simracer

There will always be setup download sites for the weak. (like me :oops:)

DD_Friar likes this.
  13. pmc

pmc Hardcore Simmer

Have always been rubbish when it comes to setups, doesn't stop me enjoying whatever sim I'm playing :)

14. So same stuff as we did get in netkar setup screen but was removed on AC

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

15. C3PO

C3PO Hardcore Simmer

WOW! This is totally amazing. Awesome developments. This is the Holy Grail of sims to get to this level of fidelity.

Out of interest, what are the downsides? Extra CPU processing? If not extra CPU load, how do all the numbers get crunched?

16. It’s just a lookup table with 2 inputs (front and rear ride height) instead of the 1 input tables we have in AC. If anything it’ll be faster than the AC version (because it’s technically less complex). Not sure how wing angle adjustments will be handled; it’s not been mentioned. Those might add a (tiny) bit to the memory load, but processing shouldn’t really slow down.

Alistair McKinley likes this.
  17. LChaves

LChaves Hardcore Simmer

I agree with this view regarding the wings app, i'm 100% in favour of it being an option.

18. LChaves

LChaves Hardcore Simmer

Different aero maps depending on your wing choices?

19. Potentially, but it seems like a lot of unnecessary work for Kunos...I've never seen a full aeromap recalculated by the manufacturer for rear wing adjustments on a car where it won't really affect the rest of the aero, there's not much of a point in doing so. They certainly won't have done such a thing at a wind tunnel, where wing angle changes are usually measured as a % delta (or absolute delta) at a reference ride height. So Kunos will have (had) to do it manually...Also what if something at the front is adjustable? Then you need a set of aero maps for each wing adjustment (for example, 4 adjustments at the front and 10 at the rear, and suddenly you need 40 maps)...I'm not sure how they've decided to handle that. It's where the "wing" system is particularly useful.

LChaves likes this.
  20. Andregee

Andregee Rookie

I beg your pardon? Softer springs don't always mean more grip. This only applies to uneven roads to compensate for bumps, but on flat roads, harder springs mean less lateral tilt and therefore less shifting of the centre of gravity to one side and therefore less lost of tyre load for the inner wheels, so they lose less grip. Of course, the outer wheels of a corner build up more grip, and the more load they bear, the more grip they build up, but the grip increases degressively with load and increases less than it decreases on the inner wheels, which is why lateral tilt always means a loss of grip, the higher the increase.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator