1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

PHYSICS Tyres! oh... it's raining...

Discussion in 'ACC Blog' started by Aristotelis, Sep 6, 2018.

1. liakjim

liakjim Alien

[​IMG]

lordpatou and martcerv like this.
  2. Rosko

Rosko Hardcore Simmer

Does the sun position have any effect of the track drying out?

3. jaxx_za

jaxx_za Hardcore Simmer

Amen brother. Those videos are the reason I'm still here today. Allowed me to surpass a plateau, and really enjoy online racing as I could be competitive (top 10 competitive, not alien competitive ).

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

D.Jankovic likes this.
  4. Neilski

Neilski Alien

I'm also keen to know if marble pick-up (intentional or otherwise) will reduce the amount of marbles left on track. (I remember it being a deliberate ploy by some F1 drivers in the dim and distant past - cleaning a braking zone off line into a slow corner for a few laps before making a dive.)

5. Talkie Toaster

Talkie Toaster Hardcore Simmer

Touring car drivers will also intentionally pick up as many marbles as possible on the cool down lap to try and make sure they meet the ride-height requirements.

I think deminishing amounts depending how many tyres travel over them might be one of those thing's that's a bit much to ask though really, depending on how the model is designed. I guess we'll soon find out.

6. Neilski

Neilski Alien

Agreed, but we can hope ;)

7. Retrolux

Retrolux Racer

I just remember a rental karting sessing with rain tires during steady heavy rain. It was total mental and fun at the same time. But what I was not expecting was that the kart understeered heavily in corners and you required to be hard on the throttle to reduce the understeer. If you lift the gas you get pushed outside of the corner. It basically means if you are to fast in the corner you are doomed. :D

Deatroy likes this.
  8. GRFOCO

GRFOCO Alien

Hi @Aristotelis , some questions about air and road's temps.

Does the range will be wider an more random in acc than in ac?
    For example, can we have by default ( i mean, without the user touch anything in menus) a sunny or clear day with 15° or 25° or 37°?
    Instead of "clear -> 20°/26°" ?

And so on for all the other weather?

9. Aristotelis

Aristotelis Will it drift? Staff Member KS Dev Team

The system supports everything now. The UI isn't ready yet, but we're working on it. Early Access is just about to start, but we have plenty of cool things to add ;)

Ischemica, AurusCE, Ernie and 12 others like this.
  10. Radfahrer

Radfahrer Hardcore Simmer

Goddamnit, where have I placed my back holes for timetravel again ?
    Aaaaaaargh, too messy I R :)

11. th3o

th3o Hardcore Simmer

I hope it does. In PCars 2 for example it has. In the areas where the sun is shining on the surface more, it dries faster than in more shadow covered areas.

12. Talkie Toaster

Talkie Toaster Hardcore Simmer

Apparently I bought and drank loads of fancy gin last night, I might have to wait another couple of weeks before I can afford ACC.

It wasn't worth it, I feel dreadful. I also apparently shaved my head, cooked some bacon and ate some mystery noodles of unknown origin.

EDIT - I have no idea why I made this post, but can't delete it.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
  13. stephen_b

stephen_b Racer

This doesn't happen in PCARS2, it was brought up during development and mentioned that it was something they would like to put in the next iteration of their live track model. iracing does model the differences in track temperatures between areas in the shade and those exposed to the sun as well as taking into account the suns intensity, surface type. Of course iracing doesn't have rain, yet.

KRoman47 likes this.
  14. RS10

RS10 Simracer

Yes, exactly.

It was about whether there will only be a rather simple 'rain' or 'no rain' weather system (incl. a transition between those states) on the entire track
    or if the system will allow a bad weather front to move over the track and for example leaving some parts dry and making some parts wet with some parts of the track being damp - essentially meaning a varying intensity of the rain over certain parts of the track, because that is the REALLY tricky part ... [edit: especially since there's no inters if i'm not mistaken?]

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
    Ernie, Salad Fingers and Poloman like this.
  15. Josefhead

Josefhead Racer

I hope something like the gyroeffect for the ffb or something similar is onboard again, same for something like the ffb post process... because I use a DD-Wheel and the gyro effect is almost like a must with a dd wheel... because to me it feels like it does a bit more then just adding a dampening caused by spinning wheels... it feels more like.. you get a bit more constant ffb.. .. it's hard to describe... when it's turned off... it feels quite "centerspringy" just resistance+jolts or so... when gyro is on.. it feels more natural... like a more constant ffb.. you feel much better what is going on.. what the tyre and car does and so on.. and like I said it feels more natural...(if the damper value is on a reasonable value otherwise some cars feel like you try to steer and feel in hard butter) ... even if you set the damper value to 0 there is a massive difference in the way the ffb is delivered... compared to gyro off...
    2 years ago or so.. when I still had my g27 I didn't feel any difference...or only a very minimalistic one... but since I have a DD-Wheel.. the difference with gyro on to gyro off is like day and night... and with it off.. it doesn't feel natural...
    so I hope gyro or something similar... or maybe even something much better :D ... will come to ACC as well...

also the ffb post process ini... it is quite a difference (not such as big as the gyro) if you use the standart ac ffb.. or if you activate the gamma and put it on 1 (linear) .. you get more of the little details especially from the inside wheel (that are like non existend with the standart ac ffb).. when it is on a linear gamma value.. unfortunately I can't create a LUT with my DD-Wheel... but using a LUT for my g27 in the past was like an eye opener..
    so I hope there is again a way to adapt the ffb to your wheel... like in AC(1) ...

and if so.. are they again "hidden" in some ini (I don't have a problem with that.. if it is well documentated so you know where to find those settings) .. or if they are more obvious...

the standart ac ffb was good for its time... and for lower end consumer wheels... but you could get alot more out of it.. if you dialed in the ffb with those ini.. to your specific wheel... and with more and more DD-Wheels more and more accesable for more people... I hope those things got considered or maybe even improved...

I mean the dream in my opinion would be if just the complete steering is completely accurately simulated... from the the wheelrim to the tyres with everything in between.. the gearings, the shafts or coloumns.. the servo pump or steering aid... and so on... and then putting a calibrator for the ffb in the options.. to eliminate the differences between differend wheels... so you can get like a 1 to 1 ffb the wheel would give in reality... including all the dampening that happens in that path.. and so on...
    however I don't know if that would be even possible... or if that alone would burn any cpu today.. it's just a dream :)

but I hope for something that comes close...

but since kunos never failed in the ffb department... netkar was great for it's time...FVA was great.. AC was and is great... so I am not too worried about ACC ... but well I am still curious how it will be and how it will feel... well how it will feel.. I know at wednesday :) ... but if there are again things you need to do in the ini files... or how it will be this time..

MsportDAN likes this.
  16. Berniyh

Berniyh Alien

@Aristotelis: first, thanks for the awesome blog, really cool insight.
    I do agree that the simracers should have what the teams have and not more.
    For me though, the additional app info in AC was also a way to compensate for info that somehow I couldn't feel (or maybe just wasn't there) in AC.
    e.g. for tyre wear there was some grip decrease but I hardly ever felt something like balance change or tyre behavior change.
    Also, I had the feeling that AC was a bit too "theoretical" on optimum tyre pressures. There were also the things that you mention, but it seemed to me that in AC it was never really a good idea to deviate from the optimum tyre pressure.
    I know that you voiced your disagreement on that quite often, but every time I tried diverting tyre pressures, the outcome was worse than what I had.
    While GT3 really isn't my thing, I'm very curious to find out (by myself, in addition to what you wrote) how ACC will be different here.

anyway, the real question I wanted to ask is actually about tracks:
    you mention that puddles and rivers are scripted based on videos etc.
    Are there any other track-specific things?
    I mean … quite often you hear during a race that a specific track has very good or bad drainage (which usually means that it's very new or old, respectively).
    Is this taken into account? Meaning that certain tracks are affected much more quickly when it starts to rain than others?
    And that some tracks dry off slower?

If not, would that be an option?
    (from the "back-seat coder" POV it doesn't seem super hard, since it might be just a scaling factor for the wetting/drying proceedures, but what do I know … ^^)

Tim Meuris and MsportDAN like this.
  17. Poloman

Poloman Racer

Well,he mention that all teams run a little tiny bit lower than the optimum,so i guess they dont want to deviate IRL either.

18. IRL, tires have different “optimum” pressures for different loads. So, in addition to the things Aris mentioned, teams may adjust pressures based on the average speed of corners at a track (higher speed would mean higher optimum pressure).

19. MsportDAN

MsportDAN Alien

As a simracer we don't get half the sensation and feel that a real world driver gets. I bet most drivers can tell the state of tyres by the vibrations thru their bottoms. I do agree what arid said that maybe we do sometimes obsess on the details. But flip side we are driving a digital gt car thru a plastic wheel. We need more help I think in reading and feeling the car

Tim Meuris likes this.
  20. roeric

roeric Rookie

@Aristotelis congratulations to the whole team for the evolution of Assetto Corsa series, fantastic work. Excuse the simplistic question, but the tires here to which compounds are closer in terms of grip compared to the 3 of AC?

Dean Ogurek and D.Jankovic like this.