1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Struggling to keep control

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by swannyuk, Sep 16, 2018.

1. swannyuk

swannyuk Racer

Hi guys,

I'm looking for some answers if possible. Just a quick backgriund on me. I've raced in leagues using AC, PCars, done a few seasons in Iracing and have about 13 years pc racing under my belt but I can't for the life of me get to grips with acc.

In the mid - slow speed corners it feels like I'm on an ice rink, in the high speed stuff the back end keeps biting me and I'm not getting any feedback from the wheel that it's coming.

Trail braking or mid corner balancing of the throttle is tricky too.

Using a g27. I've had to leave the SIM and go back on AC as I can't get more than 3 or 4 laps without the car spitting me off or understeering like mad at slow speeds.

Is it just me? I know a few others have noted the ffb feels a bit dampened / some latency. Wondering if that's the issue?

MonkeyBoyzRevenge and chemako85 like this.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    Chit Chat Room Is AC struggling to keep people interested? Feb 13, 2014
    ACC Virtual Reality For all you Vr guys struggling with fps, try this out: Jan 7, 2020
    ACC Gameplay AI is still struggling at Eau Rouge/Raidillon & Blanchimont also Bruxelles Nov 1, 2019
    ACC Controls & Peripherals FFB at Curbs Struggling Jan 20, 2019
    Chit Chat Room struggling with sf15-t at bahrain Apr 21, 2017
    Chit Chat Room struggling with nvidia drivers Dec 27, 2016
    PlayStation 4 Discussions Struggling Dec 6, 2016
    Chit Chat Room To anyone struggling with the Huracan... Jun 13, 2016
    Chit Chat Room Struggling with brakes and win 10 issues Jan 4, 2016
    Chit Chat Room For them who are struggling to make a server/opening ports Nov 2, 2014
    Chit Chat Room Struggling to break loose the rears. Apr 2, 2014
    ACC Rating & Leaderboards "Penalties Served" stat keeps going up Jan 15, 2024
    Controllers and Peripherals Bugs & Issues Fanatec DD2 problem, game keeps loosing settings Oct 25, 2023
    ACC Physics Porsche CUP keeps bouncing Apr 25, 2023
    ACC Physics Porsche 992 GT3 keeps bouncing Apr 25, 2023

3. swannyuk

swannyuk Racer

4. chakko

chakko Alien

Doesn't apply to the G27 though... the FFB was fine before the update, and it's fine after the update.

All i can recommend is to get some more laps under your belt. I think the physics as well as the tyre model, as well as the FFB are top notch. Actually, i find that it is a quite a bit better than it was on AC.

5. swannyuk

swannyuk Racer

I'll keep trying then and hope something "clicks".

For me I can't say its better than AC. If it was then I'd be catching slides and feeling what the car is doing. Instead I'm just guessing what input to use by the sound and visuals

chemako85 likes this.
  6. rpm

rpm Racer

You don't get to know about overstear over the FFB. You only get to control it once you have caught it through FFB. To predict overstear you need to play a lot. After a while you just know when it will occur.

7. chakko

chakko Alien

I frankly think that many assume driving physics, tyre model, and FFB are exactly the same as on AC. They aren't, so, you have to adapt. I always thought that the tyre model in AC is a bit too forgiving, and that the cars are a bit too well-natured/hard to get to oversteer. That's different in ACC. Drive into a corner too fast, and, given load on the tyres causes the car to be more prone to oversteer, you will get oversteer. Drive hopelessly too fast, and you won't catch the drift. For me, that's pretty authentic. As far as statements and opinions from real life drivers go, slicks are supposed to be twitchy on the limit.

Aristotelis wrote in another thread that it is amazing that 4 real life drivers hop into the simracing rigs, never drove the sim before, never drove in those rigs before, and "out of the box" are able to drive decent times, maybe overdriving the cars a bit in the beginning, which i think is totally normal, but, even after very few laps are able to adapt to the driving physics. Which tells me that there is a lot right about them. I won't say everything, because nothing is perfect. But, there's surely a lot more right than wrong about them.

Salad Fingers likes this.
  8. swannyuk

swannyuk Racer

Just an update. I've gone back to square one and just concentrated on driving the car around at medium pace. After a few laps I started pushing a bit more gaining a few tenths each time. I've started to learn a lot about the car / handling this way.

I think it's just going to take time to adjust to but the more laps you do the better it starts to feel.

9. Neilski

Neilski Alien

I also have a G27 and last night I finally realised that I was turning the steering too much in most corners. When I stopped doing that I got quicker and also had a less twitchy rear end.
    One other thing: it's probably easier to avoid doing it if you have the rotation set to 900. I had mine at 500 ish and raised it a few times - maybe 750 now - and although it's certainly harder to catch slides at higher rotations it's also much easier to be precise. I will be having another go at 900 when I get around to it...

swannyuk likes this.
  10. unknwn

unknwn Alien

Try changing steering ratio to 10 in setup for faster steering, should help with catching wider slides.
    If I remember correctly Lambo in ACC has 620 steering angle so setting anything higher than that shouldn't matter and keep steering at 1:1 ratio.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
    swannyuk likes this.
  11. chakko

chakko Alien

Well, exactly. The higher rotation you have, the more precise you can steer, the less you are prone to steer too much. The countersteering at higher degrees of rotation is rather a matter of getting used to it. In the end, you will also benefit from it when countersteering, because you will be able to countersteer more precisely too.

Apart from it being more realistic, of course. After all, you will have the same rotation as on the real car. In modern sims which adjust the rotation on the software side, you should ALWAYS use the maximum rotation your wheel can do.

12. Neilski

Neilski Alien

Yeah, I just hugely improved my hotlap PB (by 0.5), largely by taking advantage of the extra grip (and more control) available when I don't overdo the steering angle. This effect feels massively more pronounced in ACC than it was in AC, which I guess is a tyre model thing. Part of the improvement is also probably the more precise steering because I also set the wheel to 900.

I must beg to differ a wee bit on your final remark btw - I agree it's probably the right thing to do in a circuit car, but in rallying sims (e.g. Dirt Rally...) I think it makes sense to set the Logitech profiler to ~ 500 cos you spend so much of your time controlling slides ;)

13. chakko

chakko Alien

You're right, i also always drove with 540° in Richard Burns Rally, because of the countersteer (and i began with even less, 360 or 400, until i figured out that more is better). On the other hand, it's a trade off as well. You'll be more precise with higher degrees of rotation. But, i think the rally cars typically drive with 540-720° anyway.

14. ozzyneil

ozzyneil Gamer

Same problems as OP, couldnt break 2 minutes with ACC setups, then found this
    Within 3 laps doing a 1.56.
    I **** you not.

jsmith.ls.uk, swannyuk and Thug like this.
  15. Thug

Thug Hardcore Simmer

Interesting.
    I was looking at his breaking points, road positioning and gearing and notice that most of it is the same as mine, however the main BIG difference is he NEVER goes into 6th gear where I do on 2 occasions (start finish and last straight before the chicane) and there is a stretch where I go into 5th for a very short time and he does not (I wonder if this is helping with engine breaking and keeping it under control rather than going through that extra gear). Yet I still cant break the 2 min barrier.
    He does seem to have loads more grip than mine though, so would like to see his settings.
    I will try his technique and see what happens.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
  16. Poloman

Poloman Racer

Well, in the last video, with the lamborghini drivers, they barely made.a clean lap.

MonkeyBoyzRevenge likes this.
  17. I am down to a 1:56.0xx using the setup provided with that vid; thanks for sharing.

18. ozzyneil

ozzyneil Gamer

Hey Thug, not sure if you noticed but his setup is in the description to download

Thug likes this.
  19. Thug

Thug Hardcore Simmer

I did notice it when I opened it up to view in YouTube, but not when I watched it within this thread.
    I have downloaded it and going to try it now.

Something else that helped me (a little). I have a Buttkicker and got ACC working in simvibe and can now feel the road and curbs. helping me to drive in accordance.

DazzyD70 likes this.
  20. chakko

chakko Alien

True, but, what do you expect, in the very first lap in the sim and in the simulator? I completely misbraked in the first few corners when i tried ACC for the first time...

21. Poloman

Poloman Racer

I dont care for most people's opinion about ffb and physics, but when a racing driver, drives his car, in a proper simulator, i would expect them to be able to keep it inside the white lanes,even with the wrong setup.
    There is clearly something wrong with the driving, and this video is the proof.
    And it would be ok, since we are in very early access, but devs just keep denying that there is an issue, so i keep my hopes low.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018