1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Struggling to keep control

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by swannyuk, Sep 16, 2018.

1. So if you didn't drive a sim daily and jumped into a foreign rig in front of a large crowd you would instantly make perfect laps? Please.

TDS and D_Rod like this.
  2. Poloman

Poloman Racer

If it felt like real, as all devs are claiming, they should.
    Plus i dont even ask for perfect laps, it is pretty clear they had no clue what the car was doing, and they were even in motion rings iirc.

3. chakko

chakko Alien

No, not really. There are no G forces, the forces you get on the wheel are different, and with different strength, the motion simulator will give you a different feeling, the peripheral vision isn't the same on monitors, the game doesn't simulate the perspectival distortion on the left and right screen yet, and so on, and so on. You can't just hop in a simulator you don't know, do your first laps in a sim you don't know, and already drive alien times, or even expect to do a clean, first fast lap. That's complete nonsense, and i'm sure you will realize that too, when you think about it. Or try it yourself, even when you drive sims every day (most of the real drivers don't do that either).

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
    D_Rod, Freddie Seng, mms and 3 others like this.
  4. I'm quite sure that if we put a person who is not familiar with motion simulators into the bucket seat and setup worldwide live stream, I'm pretty sure that poor fella will drive terribly. Because motion sims are really different from driving a car on track. It makes driving even more difficult.

mms likes this.
  5. WallyM

WallyM Alien

This is why I have always said that driving a car in a sim is nothing like driving a car in real life. Sim racing is an entirely different skill where you are training your brain to react to sensations in your eyes, ears and hands, rather than in the seat of your pants or your perceptions of movement through your sense of balance. Some of us have 10+ years experience at learning the skill of sim racing.

You can't expect a real race driver to instantly or automatically be good in a sim. Their skills are not our skills.

swannyuk likes this.
  6. swannyuk

swannyuk Racer

THANK YOU!!!

I set my steering to 500 in the Logitech console and in game. Just took a second off my lap time and enjoyed every second of it.

I found that at 900 degrees it felt like I was steering too much, going in to that horrible understeer or having to steer way too much to catch slides. Now i can actually dance on the edge and seem to feel more from the car.

In to the very high 55s now.

Thanks again....you saved this SIM for me!

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
  7. Neilski

Neilski Alien

Wow, that's precisely the opposite of what I've done! :D
    At 900 I was way more precise with the steering, and much less inclined to turn the wheel too far. Also I was able to feel when I had turned it too far... Weird that you're finding the opposite to be true.
    Edit: hmm, I only changed the rotation in the profiler; if you set it to 500 in both the profiler and the game, does that not just cancel out and leave you with the same rotation to max lock? I haven't tried touching the game settings, ever (seems pointless when I can change the profiler any time I like while on the track).

swannyuk likes this.
  8. swannyuk

swannyuk Racer

It might have something to do with my driving style. I like to get the car rotated on the brakes so that it's almost getting away from me, same when powering out of the apex but it felt like I was having to turn the wheel far too much to keep it on the edge. Now I can instinctively flick the wheel and keep it going where I want. Unknwn suggested tweaking the steering ratio too so I'll tra with 900 again and play with that setting.

Neilski likes this.
  9. Thug

Thug Hardcore Simmer

Watching this video of a 1:53 the car seems to stick to the road like glue, where I drive very similar in regards to road positioning and gearing yet cant get round a corner without understeer.
    Its soooo frustrating.

MonkeyBoyzRevenge likes this.
  10. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

I started playing with setups, yesterday after watching some guy pulling off a 1:54.8. I thought "Ok, my car simply will not do that." After some tweaks, my previous one-off record lap became my new standard pace...well until I started crashing all the time cause I was so tired :p

Bottom line: setup is crazy important in ACC...I don't think it was this important in AC. Get a good setup...surely someone can provide one if you're not so good at this. The default ones, even "agressive", is way too pushy.

11. Thug

Thug Hardcore Simmer

I have never really set up cars before, although I do have a reasonable understanding of what effects what in RL.
    I should give it a go, but would like some input of what other people are using first as a base.

12. swannyuk

swannyuk Racer

^ This. I remember an add-in for AC that gave leaderboards and I topped a couple of them. Slowly getting used to ACC but still 3 seconds or so off the quick guys and couldn't understand how they were getting better grip.

I think the aggressive setup needs more tweaks but I'm not sure what to tweak ha.

13. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

Ok so from agressive, I lowered rear wing to 10, front ARB to 2 and diff preload to 20. Fuel can also be lowered.

Car turns much better now - for me this setup is good for consistent 1:56 laps. I'm not very fast...

swannyuk likes this.
  14. MrDeap

MrDeap Hardcore Simmer

A good base would be suspension geometry & alignment. How suspension compression affect the alignment during cornering.

Basically you look at everything that is not usually shared, because sim racing is easy.

15. Holy cow! Haven't had the time to fiddle with the setups yet but I downloaded a setup from another hotlap video on YT and it was unreal how much grip there was and how stable the car became. It looks like I need to take the time to investigate further. :p

Now I'm starting to understand those 52's. :)

LeDude83 likes this.
  16. Wait a minute. What is this changing of the steering ration all about ?

Doesn't it work like AC where the steer ratio is changed for each car ? I have mine set to 1180 degrees.. thought it would change it as it is in the real car. What I see is 1:1 rotation .. You need to set the steering ratio lower than the real car ??

17. henri

henri Hardcore Simmer

Steering deg works like in AC. Steering ratio changes how much tyres turn when you turn your wheel.

cerebralvortex likes this.
  18. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

Can you link the setup please?

19. henri

henri Hardcore Simmer

I can't understand those "one click rear wing and 1sec off". If things like that happen then you might gain second from white socks to black socks.

I have done some setup work and it's more like trying to make it more for my hand not for "amazing more grip". I can do high 1:53s with aggressive preset and for my pb I haven't even found a second from the setup yet. Any setup will stick like glue in hot lap session if you don't overdrive.

Setup in that earlier video doesn't have any extra grip, it has horrible understeer -> stable rear. :rolleyes:

20. chakko

chakko Alien

I'm pretty doubtful as well. There was no real difference in time between the stable, and the aggressive setup for me.