1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Help! I'm Rubbish Lol

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by whiteturbo, Sep 28, 2018.

1. whiteturbo

whiteturbo Rookie

Did my very first EVER race(after many practice laps PB 2.08.7) just now and i'm ashamed to say i was 16 seconds off the winning cars fastest lap, half the field lapped me and they are AI. I managed to keep on track mostly which is one positive at least, but i was disappointed in my performance. I have a T300RS wheel and the T3PA pedals(inverted), no rig its just clamped to my desk.
    Is this normal when first getting into sim racing because i don't have much money but i was planning to buy the Simetik K2, then a few weeks later a chair etc etc and hopefully by Xmas or just after i would be all set, but todays performance has me really doubting myself. How can i train myself to at least compete against the AI any hints or you tube video's that would help, any suggestions(no obscene ones please lol) welcome.:(

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    Multiplayer Bugs & Issues I look like I'm driving underground to other people Dec 21, 2022
    ACC Troubleshooting Game Freezes and crashes when i'm in Team events Jul 22, 2022
    Multiplayer Bugs & Issues I'm being disconnected while everybody enjoys MP Nov 9, 2021
    ACC General Discussions How do I accept that I'm crap? Nov 5, 2021
    ACC Multiplayer This just happened to me in a race today and I'm mad. (Revenge crashed for no reason) Jan 28, 2021
    ACC Multiplayer CP connecting to EU region when I'm in US Dec 25, 2020
    ACC Gameplay Why I'm faster in hotlap mod than practice one? Nov 28, 2020
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions This week - I'm wasting my life away on 24hr endurance (offline) Nov 11, 2020
    ACC Physics I'm improving race setup, BUT drives poor with 10 ltrs? Nov 3, 2020
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Changing rims = hey I'm acc I will play the lottery for the ffb settings for individual rims Oct 7, 2020
    ACC General Discussions Great - I'm at the start line and it's raining. Now what? Apr 4, 2020
    ACC General Discussions I'm newbie Feb 7, 2020
    ACC General Discussions I'm dreaming of a CP christmas Dec 9, 2019
    Chit Chat Room I'm getting slow! Nov 24, 2019
    ACC General Discussions I'm looking for the #43 Lamborghini Huracan GT3 EVO in Update 1.1 Oct 24, 2019

3. Paul Sutton

Paul Sutton Simracer

What setting did you have the AI on for a start. And how long have you been driving Sim's for i mean proper sims not simcades ?

4. whiteturbo

whiteturbo Rookie

Hi Paul, everything's on default, i haven't touched anything yet. I must confess that until now i have only tinkered, i don't use simcade's although i did mess with NFS many years ago. I have Raceroom Racing Experience and Assetto Corsa and Project Cars but i haven't given them the attention they deserve although now i have the time on my hands to explore them more.

5. TDS

TDS Alien

go slow, learning to feel the car, break each lap a little later for the corners and slowly explore the car/grip limits, try hotlapping till you are doing comfortably 1:58- 2:00min lap time, than try to push harder from there.

watch videos about racing, proper racing lines, braking techniques and try to apply them one by one, learn the circuits turns, visual reference points for braking and so on.

be smooth with inputs ( release brake pedal slowly), at turn exit slowly apply gas till full gas, turn the wheel around 90 degrees at max each side for the corners as smooth as possible (many corners require much less than 90 degrees steer lock tho),

dont break mid corner, try trail breaking or threshold breaking (you tube it) see witch technique makes you faster

try to carry the most speed trough corners without inducing understeer or oversteer.
    take your time, practice makes you fast :)

Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
    vlado Cro likes this.
  6. Paul Sutton

Paul Sutton Simracer

Well this is my opinion and i can only say i still cant get under the 2 min mark using the default setups but hay it's fun trying. so i started by setting the AI to a low setting and the aggression as well and go from there. Also are you having trouble in the corners like most complaints i see here is that they are like me over steering (Turning the wheel to much) causing a lot of under steer of pushing as it were.
    It might have to do with your wheel settings as well. play around with the rotation settings.

7. Paul Sutton

Paul Sutton Simracer

LOL yeah what TDS says as well.

8. Just no. No no no no.
    Set your wheel to 1080 both in game and in the thrustmaster control panel.
    Here are my ffb settings: (90% in game)
    [​IMG]

-------------------
    Use the hotlap mode to practice; try to learn from your ghost car. Braking way too late along with inputting far too much steering are the most common mistakes for new pilots. Brake far earlier than you think you should, try to never turn the wheel more than 45-55 degrees. (even in the tightest of turns like Turn One)

AC_RAF likes this.
  9. LazyJab

LazyJab Rookie

Hey me too! I'm glad I'm not the only one who is completely new to Sim racing but trying to get into it.

I've been grinding hot laps trying to break 2min but I'm not able to (2.02). I can't imagine how hard it will be having to deal with other drivers too.

We should race together sometime when the fa

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

10. MakeMeLaugh

MakeMeLaugh Simracer

Without reducing steering lock? How? Also, aren't we supposed to use whatever the real car uses? I'm new to this so I'm kinda confused, sorry.

It's been a week now that I got my first wheel(G29) and I bought this game with it. This is my first sim and I finally managed to do a lap around 1:57~, but it's hard and I mostly run 1:58~2:00 which I guess is bad, since the AI can easily do :156~1:57.

Should I change anything on the logitech software or in game for ffb?

11. whiteturbo

whiteturbo Rookie

Thanks Guys you have all been a lot of help. I now have a target to aim at, i mean 8 secs can't be too hard, can it? My wheel was nearly set up right just needed to change 900 to 1080 and will check out trail and threshold breaking. Turn one is a pig, if i don't get it right turn 2 and 3 are problems too. But main thing seems to be practice, practice and more practice so will report back in a fortnight and see where i am then.

12. For your G29 just set 900 degrees in both profiler and in game. The game will automatically apply the correct steering lock. There is no hard lock so you will be able to continue turning your physical wheel after the virtual wheel reaches the end of its travel. You should still be able to feel when that happens, along with seeing the visual wheel no longer turning; there isn't any reason to even come close to using anywhere near that much steering input in these cars though.

13. pons

pons Simracer

Start slow and concentrate on the racing lines. When I started I also used the virtual racing lines to learn the courses.
    When you know where you have to go in the turn search for visible reference points for turn entry to hit the apexes.
    Then start to play with braking points.
    There are many good videos out there on youtube. Don't rush things, take your time and it will get very satisfying when you see your progress.

Tberg likes this.
  14. Drathuu

Drathuu Gamer

One thing to look at is also the FOV your using.. if its too narrow, your depth perception will be altered too much and you will likely be braking early.. Play with your field of view (you wont see as much left and right), try to get it to look like if your sitting in your car (but you only can see to the edges of your screen (As if you had hoods on your sunnglasses).. this should give you a better feel for the track - and likely make it look wider too.

Im running tripes, so cant comment on a good FOV for single screen.. (depends on if you have widescreen, or ultrawide aswell).

FOV can make a HUGE difference.. if you can share your screen res, people could give some recomendations.. (But i suggest you play with it aswell).

dajdosta likes this.
  15. Drathuu

Drathuu Gamer

I'd also agree with changing wheel settings.. my g29, with it set to 900 degrees in the controller, in game when i turn even 1/4 turn it does a full turn on the wheel in the game (Oversteering dramatically) I had to reduce the ingame steering lock to 360 degrees to compensate.. (unfortunately it appears as if it isnt doing a 1 to 1 ratio.

Also some examples of FOV of 55 vs 36.... I think 35/36 is too close for a single screen (You lose a lot of peripheral vision), however you do get a much improved sense of correct scale on the track.. with it at 55 or higher the track is elongated and its really hard to pick braking points

Wheel settings i had to use to get close to 1:1 (wheel vs ingame turning)
    steerlock.JPG

FOV 55 (elongated into track.. notice distant trees look further).. harder to pick braking points as things come toward you quicker
    55.JPG

FOV 36 - if you had shutters on your eyes, more like how it is in your car.. distance is much closer, easier to pick braking poinits and more like reality. (less sense of speed)
    36.JPG

16. Tberg

Tberg Alien

Just find 1 lap on youtube at 2min or lower laptime and preferably one that has the pedal inputs shown, so you can see braking points etc.
    Then use hotlap mode, as it has a ghostcar. For beginners, it's the easiest and most fun way to see when you did something better or worse the lap before. Later on you'll just rely on delta-times.

For a long time, just having fun trying to improve is what matters. You don't need all the theory around racing yet.

Cheers

17. Mr.Mugel

Mr.Mugel Alien

Not beeing really fast myself but I agree, watching a solid, good, but not Alien lap will give you a good idea of a racing line and brake points.

A few more inputs from myself:

Try to use the whole track width, in some corners even chunks of the kerbs, but that includes some dangers as well.

Use reference points for braking to achieve some continuity, for example at Müllenbach there is the Astrotirf beginning on the left side of the track. Check in a lap where you braked and how it affected the corner. Than when you approach, consider this reference and try braking earlier or later.

Keep steering inputs as low as you can, aggressive steering is bad for the tyres and the lap time. Braking earliet can often be faster.

Try late Apex cornering, go wide on entry and only way behind the middle of the corner approach the inside.

Avoid shifting too much on corners. Downshifting at higher revs unsettles the car, often it is not really necessary. Problem here is that by mainly judging acceleration from sounds in a sim, we want the engine to scream as that feels fast.

Hope this will help a bit. The satisfaction from improving the map time can be incredible, so go ahead and drive!

18. Be careful going wide at the apex in the turns; ACC is simulating the rubber marbles that come off the tires so when you go outside the racing line, even by just a half car width or so, you pick up the marbles on your tires and will have less grip in the next turn.

19. Turbo_Dad

Turbo_Dad Racer

I found adjusting the sound settings, so the tyre volume is max and reduce other levels to about 60. This is to emphasise the audio feedback from pushing the grip levels to far.

20. Aristotelis

Aristotelis Will it drift? Staff Member KS Dev Team

Wheel settings, FOV settings, sound sttings, universe settings...

Dear @whiteturbo if after lot's of practice you are at 2.08.7, then all of the above is just noise for you. Although the kind posters above try to help you, it will confuse you. DO NOT FOLLOW the above advices.

1. Check that your real steering wheel moves at the same degrees as the ingame steering wheel. If not, then open a thread asking for advice for that only specific matter and fix it. Your real steering wheel should move identical to the virual one.
    2. Check under the RPM gauge HUD that the accelerator and brake bars do go from zero to full when you press your real pedals.

3. Learn the basics of circuit driving. Laptimes of 2:08 means you don't know what a reference point is, you don't know what a racing line is and how to get the best out of your engine and brakes. This is NOT a problem. Everybody has to start from somewhere and learn. You'll be under 2:00 in no time, but you need to practice correctly, otherwise you're just losing time.
    So Learn:
    - Reference points (starting with braking ones)
    - Proper line and taking advantage of track width
    - Proper engine and gearbox use.

I think my old basic driving driving techniques tutorial for AC might help you

For everybody else. Thank you so much guys for giving help, but please don't take this as an offence, you are looking at the tree and missing the forest. Our friend is still at 2:08, messing with settings will not help him right now. He should just remain focused on the very very basics, then maybe after he is under 2:00, he can start looking at all the great advice you gave him.

Also, let us know what Car Control (CC) and Track Consistency (CN) ratings you have. The ratings can help you understand what you're doing.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
  21. Winston

Winston Hardcore Simmer

mms likes this.