1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

PHYSICS Aero. I believe I can fly…

Discussion in 'ACC Blog' started by Aristotelis, Sep 8, 2018.

1. Luis Branco

Luis Branco Alien

I’m very, very far from my comfort area with regard to aerodynamics but after reading University of Hertfordshire‘s “Aerodynamic Evaluation of Racing Wings of a Formula Car” https://www.researchgate.net/public...LUATION_OF_RACING_WINGS_OF_A_FORMULA_CAR#pf1d it seems that the aid of CFD in ACC is a very big step forward from the “simplicity” (not in derogatory sense) of unlimited wings model used in AC.

Fremen_78 likes this.
  2. Znam Neznam

Znam Neznam Hardcore Simmer

So couldn't you do that effect with AC?

Something like. 3 wings for every wing.

For body have body_base, body_height, body_angle of attack.......as separate wings.

All having their own lut file.

3. No, besides the controllers, the math boils down to it effectively being one “wing” at each axle (discounting wing adjusmtents), so you have height and angle control, but that’s it. It can still get very close though, as I’ve mentioned.

4. Berniyh

Berniyh Alien

okok Aris, I get it …

So "Early Access" isn't really about the devs getting feedback, it's about the simracers slowly getting used to the complexity of reality. o_O:D
    Maybe I should request early access to reality. Question is … where? :p

sissydriver and Minolin like this.
  5. Winston

Winston Hardcore Simmer

Cough, The Whitehouse?. Cough :D

mms and MABlosfeld like this.
  6. Dufloth

Dufloth Racer

I have to apologize for the misunderstanding on rd topic. I misread the initial line and understood you were doing real time calculations based on car geometry. I’m sorry if I felt someone bad with it.

Great to see you guys are improving the model. And yes, I saw what you did in the suspension post @Aristotelis :)

Either way, thanks for all the effort put into the new game. Lunch time here and still 4 hours to get home and play it...

For those asking how changing wing angles could affect the final result, you just need to input in the LUT the local angle of attack. By changing the wing angle you are doing the same as maintaining the “old” wing position and rotating the flow.

@mclarenf1papa local aoa could be modeled as aoalocal = aoa + wingangle + upwash(other effects that could change the flow before the upstream of the local flow, including dynamics and other aero devices, etc...). By the way, thanks for your second post where you clarified the situation where others couldn’t.

Put that into your LUT and you’ll be fine

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  7. mantasisg

mantasisg Racer

It is so amazing, how sensitive aero is, one click for rear wing and almost whole second faster lap almost imediately !

8. Neilski

Neilski Alien

Just curious: did you raise or lower the wing?

mms likes this.
  9. mms

mms Alien

The answer is YES :D:D:D

10. Redoxs

Redoxs Rookie

I feel like without really good telemetry in game making your own good setup will be just impossible (ignoring all the placebo effect). But still i like it, actually if i get good enough tools to makes some setups i may spend more time on setup changing than actuall driving ;D

11. AC_RAF

AC_RAF Hardcore Simmer

Personally, I think I set the rear height up to "70" with "20" or rear wing...

12. GRFOCO

GRFOCO Alien

- Aero: Non circulatory lift implemented

@Aristotelis
    Please 2 words on this?

liakjim likes this.
  13. Dufloth

Dufloth Racer

Unsteady aerodynamics.

My blind (and most probably wrong) guess would be the trailing wake effect on another car. It could also be hysteresis effect after the boundary layer detach/attach

GRFOCO likes this.
  14. Aristotelis

Aristotelis Will it drift? Staff Member KS Dev Team

Non circulatory lift (also known as "added mass") is an aerodynamic effect that happens when the car (or any other body traveling in air) tries to jump, fall or generally create a very sudden vertical move, while travelling at speed. It is used by insects for their flight and there is quite a bit of scientific documentation if you google it.

Simply put, when the car jumps (or even simply move fast vertically) over a kerb or an important bump, the top view area of the car will create quite a pressure that can translate of an instant force in excess of a ton, against the "jump". This makes the car sticking more to the ground. But it also works in the opposite. When the car goes airborne and starts travelling downwards, it will also create pressure against the downwards movement.
    It makes the cars a bit more stable over the kerbs and for the ones that love looking cars from the outside in replays (like myself), it gives this "airborne and flying for a fraction of a time, before starting going down again" effect.

Thank Fernando for the research and modesty apart... yes ACC is that advanced. I could talk for days about how many small little things are happening in every single aspect of the car/track.

15. GRFOCO

GRFOCO Alien

do not provoke us :D:D:D

Fremen_78 and Kopiller like this.
  16. it's amazing the amount of things added in this game and it's not (and I believe you) just marketing bs though it's a "game" afterall.

17. Neilski

Neilski Alien

Excellent, thanks!
    I mean, it's not like you've got anything better to do, right? :D

18. Pirhana-A

Pirhana-A Gamer

We should definitively rename you Aerostotelis ! :D

Tim Meuris, the_token, jc1993 and 3 others like this.
  19. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek Alien

Ah yes, the bold new world and how it's evolved into an alternate reality, where fact has become fiction and science is the new fake news! :p:D

ctnich, LeDude83 and Winston like this.
  20. Epistolarius

Epistolarius Alien

I did a little bit of testing a while ago in AC and with 25°C ambient on the endless floor test track, base setup + aero at max. settings all the GT3 cars were - per wings dev app - in the range of 690-860kg of downforce at 250 km/h. Not insubstantial.