1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

PHYSICS Bumpstop telemetry in the setup screen

Discussion in 'ACC Blog' started by Aristotelis, Oct 11, 2018.

1. Aristotelis

Aristotelis Will it drift? Staff Member KS Dev Team

Yes you're right, I wanted to explain it, but was running around with the release, sorry. So:

Yellow line:
    Suspension movement. Obviously the car is stopped at the box so no movement but this is where your suspension "sits". While driving, imagine the suspension line moving up and down. Up when the suspension goes into compression, down when it extends.

Red line:
    Bumpstop (up) point. By changing the "bumpstop range" value (which we should better name it bumpstop gap), you modify the space between the suspension "free" travel (only springs) and when it touches or presses the bumpstop. The closer the red line goes to the yellow line, the sooner the suspension will start compressing the bumpstop and this raising stiffness and controlling the suspension compression movement.

Green line:
    Just the end of suspension travel in extension. Not in scale, safely ignore.

bumpstops.jpg

Small reminder; As you know by now, cars that have important aerodynamic features as splitters and diffuser, are quite pitch sensitive. That means that when you brake the car pitches forward, making the front splitter going closer to the ground and the rear diffuser going further up from the ground. The effect of that is that the aero balance moves heavily towards the front of the car. If this pitch movement is not constrained, the car can become very unstable especially under trailbraking turn in.

How to setup the car?
    Rule of thumb (but as always your mileage may vary, it's all a compromise).
    The more stability you need under turn in, the more you need the front suspension to touch the bumpstop when pitching forward. So to make the car more stable, you need to lower the "bumpstop range" value so that the redline goes closer to the yellow or even touches it. Obviously if you need more turn in, then you go the other way around. You can also modify the stiffness of the bumpstop by increasing or decreasing the "bumpstop rate". Later on you it will be also possible to change the linearity. (note: rear wing can stabilize this effect too making it more mild and permitting a suspension with more gap until the bumpstop (or softer bumpstops).

Generally you want less bumpstop work at the rear, so that the rear end absorbs kerbs and bumps and gives traction. Still, if the circuit permits it and driving style can handle it, you can do similar setup to the rear. Making the suspension touching the rear bumpstop sooner, you raise the stiffness and also limit the squat of the rear end, preventing the aero balance of shifting too much to the rear and limiting power on understeer.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Physics New bumpstop in motec Apr 24, 2022
    ACC Physics problem geting bumpstops porsche gt4 on motec May 20, 2021
    ACC Physics Bumpstop graph Feb 21, 2021
    ACC Physics Steering lock bumpstops Sep 8, 2020
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Help out a console user - Bumpstop compression and approximate rideheights Aug 9, 2020
    ACC Physics Rear bumpstops Rate and Range worked correct? Apr 28, 2020
    ACC Physics McLaren 720 Suspensions/Bumpstops diagram Nov 20, 2019
    ACC Physics [1.0.10] Audi R8 Bumpstop Range (**Fixed 1.3.3**) Oct 1, 2019
    ACC Physics Bumpstop Range Jun 29, 2019
    ACC General Discussions How to tune Bumpstops Sep 25, 2018
    Physics Bugs & Issues Bumpstop possible solution Oct 30, 2017
    Physics Bugs & Issues Nissan R34 GTR Bumpstops May 23, 2016
    Physics modding - Cars & Tyres Suspension: bumpstops, packer range, rod lenght Sep 16, 2014
    Physics modding - Cars & Tyres Packers and bumpstops Jul 1, 2014
    ACC Tools ACC Telemetry - timing gaps Jan 15, 2024

3. so bumpstop range is the length of the bumpstop, so to say? does it have a unit? is it 10mm? 10cm or 10 what? we could to an analogy to those pro pedals you see, that you can exchange bump rubbers in different sizes and rates, harder, softer?

Sorry for the silly question :)

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    Salvatore Amato likes this.
  4. mkotechno

mkotechno Simracer

AFAIU in this text and it actually surprises me, bumpstop range is the space in which there is no bumpstop; so the higher the value the smaller the bumpstop is.

I would recomend the devs to invert the value or change the attribute name because is hard to make a mental picture like it is now.

jörgen wahlby and EsxPaul like this.
  5. Radfahrer

Radfahrer Hardcore Simmer

As Aris said above : " By changing the "bumpstop range" value (which we should better name it bumpstop gap), you modify the space between the suspension "free" travel (only springs) and when it touches or presses the bumpstop

A bit of a misnomer there, but knowing Aris and his crew, they´ll be changing that soon ;)

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    Leonardo Ratafia likes this.
  6. Georg Siebert

Georg Siebert Simracer

it's 10 chickens

7. TheMarshal

TheMarshal Gamer

I love this new setup screen. Great improvement!

8. BrunUK

BrunUK Alien

African or European chickens?

9. aotto1977

aotto1977 Hardcore Simmer

[​IMG]

Salvatore Amato likes this.
  10. Rehooja

Rehooja Simracer

Keep these blogs coming! They are very informative and great read.

11. Epistolarius

Epistolarius Alien

I'm confused about the colours. "Yellow" in the text is in orange. And the image has no red line. I assume it's the orange line?

12. GRFOCO

GRFOCO Alien

This is great but, is there a way to view the entire graph of 1 complete lap?
    I mean not for now i know, but in the future, do the game will give us a tool to read "how much close the suspension goes to the bumpstop here and there"?
    A sort of telemetry, not realtime telemetry, but just something that record your last or best lap and can be read in the setup page, or when we come back to the pits.

SimGuy_1, falkeGT and mkotechno like this.
  13. mkotechno

mkotechno Simracer

Just copy Gran Turismo 5 simple but effective telemetry viewer.

14. Georg Siebert

Georg Siebert Simracer

The only ones you'll be able to afford to eat after the end of march.

15. Ace Pumpkin

Ace Pumpkin Alien

16. flihp

flihp Racer

Quick question regarding this, I can see that adjusting the suspension/yellow on say left front, it also changes it on the right front. Is that due to softening or stiffening the suspension on one Front side also allows for some compensation in suspension compression whilst at speed on the other side, ( hope that makes sense); , also on the lambo, the yellow bar for the rear, stays extremely low, no matter on the setting, is this due to greater weight on the rear end?

17. AC_RAF

AC_RAF Hardcore Simmer

@AC Support Can you put this thread in Sticky threads?

I was looking for this (essential) information but it became difficult to find it.
    Thanks

flihp likes this.
  18. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

The explanation in OP is excellent and - again - added value to ACC. It's like a car setup training when you could could just say: "Pff...I gave you the car, go figure it out for yourself."

It will be very useful for me because I'm trying to tune the BMW suspension so that I can safely mount the right curb leading into Schumi S n Nürburgring. I see many other drivers taking that curb but for me, I usually end up slower when I try or even spin 1/5 times.
    I have the impression that the right suspension is kicked up a lot into the bumpstop. If I understand you well, @Aristotelis that's not exactly where you'd want to ride on the bumpstops, no? You'd want the spring and damper to do that work here, right?

Noisen likes this.
  19. Aristotelis

Aristotelis Will it drift? Staff Member KS Dev Team

Under normal conditions yes, you want the spring and damper to absorb the hit.
    But if the kerb can make the car bottom out and the diffuser to stall, then you might want to stiffen the rear suspension to prevent this from happening.
    If you put very stiff springs, then you'll lose traction in all the circuit.
    But if you keep normal springs and manage to adjust the bumpstop to be hit only on that specific occasion, you can get best of both worlds.
    Warning: Everytime I try to do that I end up losing weeks with "now is aaaaalmost perfect but no"... LOL

20. SimGuy_1

SimGuy_1 Alien

I did one experiment where i setup the rear bumpstop on audi at value 1.
    I don't know the unit.
    Do you think it's realistic to do so ?
    I did this to prevent power on understeer and it did solve little bit of it and my laptimes(hotlap mode) are not comprised.

21. iVG

iVG Alien

There's a few other options to explore before setting rear bumpstops ranges so tight. Rear springs, rake, rear bump damper settings, front rebound.

Freddie Seng and Coanda like this.