1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Dynamic Weather Discussion

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by MsportDAN, Apr 4, 2019.

1. MsportDAN

MsportDAN Alien

Still no fix for this offline weather issue. It seems offline racing is becoming a thing of the past for sim racing.

Well that's me almost done with pc sim racing if that's the case.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
  2. MsportDAN

MsportDAN Alien

Well glad to see they've updated the offline random weather. I have since sold my pc so can't test something I've been after for s while. Nevermind.

Glad to see they've fixed it although a description of what's been fixed exactly would help.

Cheers

3. Carlos Popo

Carlos Popo Gamer

friends, already have a weather configuration worksheet after this last weather update with different possibilities, I had a great worksheet that worked smoothly, now it’s pointless to use it.

4. earlyapex

earlyapex Hardcore Simmer

Any player thoughts on the 1.6 weather /dynamic track changes?
    I am not able to test myself yet.

5. brad_co

brad_co Gamer

Lets hope there is some improvement. Since the last 2 updates I have now changed all my league races to DRY only. It was becoming too difficult to give even a light shower of rain with any variation during a race weekend. Too risky. Drivers were getting frustrated with the constant heavy rain/storms. Safest thing was to take weather variation out of the server settings altogether.

6. De Breuk

De Breuk Racer

This is what we did for our leagues as well.

7. Gopher04

Gopher04 Simracer

To be honest i think the dynamic weather barely works anymore, (offline) what ever weather I get at the 1st session I get the same through all the sessions, the varability doesn't seem to make a difference even upto 100%, and if you increase the clouds to much all you get is rain, for me it was better awhile ago.. also the sky always seems to have a bloom effect now.

Cote Dazur likes this.
  8. Zenzenzic

Zenzenzic Gamer

I've been doing some testing in single player to figure out how much difference the cloud cover and variability values make. I've been running 10 min sessions with a multiplier of x48, which equates to 8 hours.

Below is a subset of what I have so far. "Total tests" is the number of runs I did with a combo of cloud cover and variability, "%rain" is the number of runs that had any rain. So for the combo "cloud 49 - variability 50" for instance, there's a 22% probability you'll see rain in an 8 hour session.

Looks like you have to be quite conservative with the chosen values to have a realistic probability of rain.

[​IMG]

Ignore c49-v52; 35 tests is not nearly enough.

9. brad_co

brad_co Gamer

Maybe the Devs could give us a simple explanation of how we can achieve some 'reliable' weather variation for online races. I know they've shown us a weatherMatrix spreadsheet but that has over 700 combinations and they are very confusing especially when they simply don't work. (you might get lucky every now and again, but in general they don't work) In the server handbook they've tried to explain weather in a different way by using graphs but that is still confusing.

Perhaps I have missed something in the way I read the weather settings for online events. I understand the 4 hour cycle they use but that still doesn't help. I've experimented with different race weekend structures and various time multipliers. Still have no idea how I can predict SIMPLE weather simulation. Or do we have the approach that in real life the weather is not predictable, so the game should be the same?

If anyone can shed some light on this please do so. No smart *** comments please as this is a genuine request for assistance. ACC is by far the most advanced sim on the market, it would be next level if the weather system was more user friendly - especially for online league races. If this is the wrong thread for discussion, let me know where I should post it?

Want2BFast and Fremen_78 like this.
  10. pankykapus

pankykapus KS Dev Team Staff Member KS Dev Team

1: "anything can happen" with high chance of variation:
    "cloudLevel": 0.2-0.35,
    "rain": 0.1-0.2,
    "weatherRandomness": 5-7,
    "simracerWeatherConditions": 1,

2: conservative variation with potential rain
    "cloudLevel": 0.2-0.5,
    "rain": 0.05-0.1,
    "weatherRandomness": 4,

3: guaranteed overcast (no rain, only changing clouds)
    "cloudLevel": 0.6-1.0,
    "rain": 0.0,
    "weatherRandomness": 2-3,

4: guaranteed sunny (only minor cloud changes)

"cloudLevel": 0.0-0.4,
    "weatherRandomness": 2-3,

5: overcast with occasional light-medium rain
    "weatherRandomness": 4-7,

6: guaranteed light-medium rain all weekend
    "cloudLevel": 0.6-0.8,
    "rain": 0.1-0.2,
    "weatherRandomness": 1-3,
    ("simracerWeatherConditions": 1,) - optional

7: guaranteed medium-heavy rain
    "rain": 0.45-0.6,
    "weatherRandomness": 3,
    ("simracerWeatherConditions": 1,) - optional

Your weekend setup, the proximity (and continuity) of sessions inside the weekend will still be a major factor. Also, the highest randomness settings (5-7) do what they advertise, being highly random and thus less predictable.

11. Mitja Bonca

Mitja Bonca Alien

Is it possible to have lets say in 24h time (or even less) light, heavy rain, and sun inbetween? Like many times happen IRL at Spa.

12. brad_co

brad_co Gamer

Thanks pankykapus, thats great information.

Can you guide me a little more. If my race weekend consists of say -
    Practice Friday 60 min
    Qualy Saturday 15 min
    Race 1 Sunday 60 min
    Race 2 Sunday 60 min

Do you have any recommendation for time multiplier? The settings you have provided are during Friday through to Sunday, correct. So when you say '5: overcast with occasional light-medium rain', is this based on the probability of these conditions at any time during the race weekend? Does the time multiplier come into play? For example if I would like to try and have these condittions during Sunday's 60 min race should I use a multiplier for the race...say x 12? Also should I aim to have each sessions roughly the same time of day on each day?

OR

Would I achieve better results having more sessions close together on the same day (Prac, Qualy, Race all on Sunday) Appreciate your help!

13. pankykapus

Having sessions further apart spread across the weekend has a higher likelihood of creating significantly different conditions in each session (due to the simulated weather progression between them) when using higher variability.

Having the sessions close together adds more continuity, and for example a FP session right before race can give you a very close indication of what's expected during the race, almost like a warmup session.
    Pro tip, if you set up both the R and the warmup FP session to preceed it on the exact same time of day on the same day of the weekend, it'll act as an actual warmup and it'll delay the R session's start by however long you set the practice session, thus providing perfect continuity.

Generally, higher randomness can produce faster cycles and thus potentially higher variation within sessions.
    Personally, I wouldn't recommend using higher multiplier than maximum x4 due to the negative effects it has on the natural progression of ambient and track conditions if you speed the world up.
    Detaching and exposing the speed of weather progression from game time multiplier is something we have considered, but I do not want to make any promises as it's not an easy thing to add, but obviously this would be a good way of adding more control (or more probability of faster variations) to the user.

Coanda and brad_co like this.
  14. Gopher04

Gopher04 Simracer

How do these figures translate into the weather setup menu?

15. brad_co

brad_co Gamer

Sadly the weather is still too unpredictable to utilise correctly. Using the following settings after advice from pankykapus.
    "cloudLevel": 0.6,
    "weatherRandomness": 4,
    "simracerWeatherConditions": 1
    All sessions loaded into one day to assist with continuity

This is supposed to achieve
    28% - Dry
    72% - Light
    0% - Medium
    0% - Heavy
    0% - Thunderstorm

We have experienced several server sessions with Heavy Thunderstorms with FLOODED track. I think I'm done trying to provide variable weather to my league, I am losing drivers as a result. Thanks for your continued efforts, but the variable weather is obviously not functioning as intended.

Cote Dazur likes this.
  16. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Alien

I would very much like to know that as well. And if yes, how to set it.
    At this point all I know to do is either nice weather or rain. I never get any progression. I only play off line.

17. pankykapus

I'm sorry but that's virtually impossible without a syntax or other user error. I run these same settings in our daily beta tests and maybe 1/10 times gives drizzle or light rain in an extreme case but nothing above. The whole concept of the 0.0 rain bias is that it seldom moves away from it.
    There obvioulsy has to be something wrong, check json file encoding, syntax etc.

18. brad_co

brad_co Gamer

How can I check json file encoding, syntax etc. I'd be happy to look into this further but I'm not really sure exactly what I'd be looking for. I have seen from previous posts on the topic of variable weather that my situation is not isolated. I am not the only person experiencing these unpredictable conditions and I have read the same issue from other forum contributors. I have been experiencing these issues for some time (not just after xxxxx update)

Any further suggestions as to what I should be checking. I'm really interested to know why this is happening and to hopefully resolve it.

19. pankykapus

You can use a tool to check for syntax (i.e. if all entries are properly opened and closed), such as this one: https://jsonlint.com/
    When in doubt, I recommend emptying the event.json file (or any other config file) and copy the default values from the txt files in the server install directory/cfg/current/ folder.
    Also make sure you use an advanced text editor, such as Notepad++, and the encoding for all json files is set to:
    upload_2020-11-27_14-33-35.png

or "UCS-2 Little Endian".

The scenario you described simply cannot happen without something being wrong in the config.

20. AndyK70

AndyK70 Alien

ServerAdminHandbook_v10.pdf:
    upload_2020-11-27_15-41-12.png

The underlined blue text in that pdf is a link to a website which does exactly this.

Coanda likes this.