1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

A look at ACC in VR on a mid range PC

Discussion in 'ACC Hardware Discussions' started by capt nasties, Jan 18, 2019.

1. epsylonB

epsylonB Gamer

good settings for engine.ini!

i have these settings in engine.ini:

[ConsoleVariables]
    r.Streaming.FullyLoadUsedTextures=1
    r.TemporalAACatmullRom=1
    r.TemporalAAPauseCorrect=1
    r.TemporalAASamples=4
    r.Tonemapper.Sharpen=4
    r.SeparateTranslucency=0
    r.HZBOcclusion=0
    r.MotionBlurQuality=0
    r.BloomQuality=1
    r.EyeAdaptationQuality=0
    r.AmbientOcclusionLevels=1
    r.SSR.Quality=1
    r.DepthOfFieldQuality=0
    r.SceneColorFormat=2
    r.TranslucencyVolumeBlur=0
    r.TranslucencyLightingVolumeDim=4
    r.MaxAnisotropy=8
    r.LensFlareQuality=0
    r.SceneColorFringeQuality=0
    r.FastBlurThreshold=0
    r.SSR.MaxRoughness=0.1
    r.RHICmdBypass=0
    sg.EffectsQuality=2
    r.MipMapLODBias=-0.4

i dont know which one i think better. the game works well on both settings.

Pheebau likes this.
  2. Pheebau

Pheebau Gamer

Looks good too. There is just a little bit less sharpening - I can see it from the text in the cockpit. Would you mind sharing your in-game settings? Thanks

3. Pheebau

Pheebau Gamer

Here are the latest settings I have for engine.ini below - I haven't changed the settings for in-game and Nvidia control panel (see my earlier post in this thread with a link).
    Just did a race at Paul Ricard with 19 AI under rain - my FPS were 45fps and it was very smooth, thanks to InstancedStereo mode! Sure at the beginning of the race it might fluctuate between 39 and 45 but it then stays steady at 45fps smooth
    AI read ended me in a straight line at close to 200mph ;) which makes it for a short video
    See for yourself - text is very readable and this is what am seeing in my Odyssey+ helmet
    Sorry in advance if I am moving my head too fast but this is a racing game ;)
    As I mentioned earlier, I am pretty satisfied with this - hopefully Kunos will optimize VR some more!

[ConsoleVariables]
    vr.InstancedStereo=1
    r.TemporalAACatmullRom=1
    r.TemporalAASamples=4
    r.Tonemapper.Sharpen=3
    r.SeparateTranslucency=0
    r.HZBOcclusion=0
    r.MotionBlurQuality=0
    r.PostProcessAAQuality=4
    r.EyeAdaptationQuality=0
    r.AmbientOcclusionLevels=0
    r.SSR.Quality=1
    r.DepthOfFieldQuality=0
    r.SceneColorFormat=3
    r.TranslucencyVolumeBlur=0
    r.TranslucencyLightingVolumeDim=48
    r.LensFlareQuality=2
    r.SceneColorFringeQuality=0
    r.FastBlurThreshold=0
    r.SSR.MaxRoughness=0.1
    r.RHICmdBypass=0
    r.DetailMode=1
    r.RefractionQuality=2
    r.MaterialQualityLevel=1
    sg.ShadowQuality=2
    r.MipMapLODBias=-1
    r.Streaming.MipBias=-1
    r.Color.Mid=0.4

[SystemSettings]
    r.MaxAnisotropy=16
    r.ViewDistanceScale=5
    foliage.LODDistanceScale=5

4. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Alien

What difference in performance do you get with this at 1 and st 0?

5. Pheebau

Pheebau Gamer

@Cote Dazur

Quoting some Unreal Engine developer:

"Instanced stereo is a CPU optimization. It's purpose is to reduce the render thread and graphics driver CPU cost when rendering in stereo. Without instanced stereo, we execute the entire render loop twice, once for each eye. This incurs both the cost of the render loop inside of UE4 and the driver overhead of issuing a separate draw call for each eye.

There's a small amount of additional vertex shader overhead when using instanced stereo. We need to select the appropriate view uniforms based on which eye an instance represents and there's an additional transform and clip required to ensure we render to the correct half of the frame buffer.

Depending on the scene and the GPU hardware being used, you may see a small speed up or slowdown on the GPU with instanced stereo enabled (~3 - 5%). Some hardware can become bottlenecked in primitive assembly which ends up costing us a few percent of GPU performance. If clipping isn't a bottleneck, I tend to see a small increase in performance due to better cache/memory use since we drawing the same object twice."

Essentially, instanced stereo halves the number of draw calls which optimizes CPU time.

To be honest, I used to run reprojection in WMR by enabling it in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\MixedRealityVRDriver\resources\settings\default.vrsettings" and then turned it off because I was seeing reproducible FPS dips after a few laps in some of the tracks. I had it enabled since I could not maintain 90fps with my settings - then I disabled reprojection and enabled "vr.InstancedStereo=1" but it seems like it is enabled by default in ACC as part of the Unreal Engine configuration (?) since removing it from the engine.ini still allows me to maintain the same 45fps smooth.

I just tried again by removing it and am getting smooth 45fps so maybe it is enabled by default (?)

Cote Dazur and Ace Pumpkin like this.
  6. mikendrix

mikendrix Simracer

@Pheebau
    Yesterday I tried your settings
    It runs sharp and smooth on my old rig (see in my signature), i gained a lot of fps for sure (don't know how many though).

But I found out visually it's a bit too bright to my taste.
    Also, during the night I could see the gravels a bit too sharp, it was almost shimmering.

So I tried to reactivate ambiantOcclusion : 1 instead of 0
    r.AmbientOcclusionLevels=1

but this one impacts the fps a lot.
    I think my CPU can't handle it properly.

So I let ambiant occlusion deactivated :
    r.AmbientOcclusionLevels=0

And I compensate with color mid with a darker setting :
    r.Color.Mid=0.3 (instead of 0.4 -- default is 0.5)

For the gravels too sharp I reset the mipmaplod to default : 0 (I think I can also delete it ?)
    r.MipMapLODBias= 0
    This one has also a negative impact on fps, when it's below 0

And now it's fine for me : smooth, sharp, gravels OK and not too bright !

Pheebau likes this.
  7. TRIAS

TRIAS Racer

In my Engine.ini there are on 'Console Settings' paragraph.
    Actually here is my whole Engine.ini :

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [Core.System]
    Paths=../../../Engine/Content
    Paths=%GAMEDIR%Content
    Paths=../../../AC2/Plugins/FMODStudio/Content
    Paths=../../../AC2/Plugins/ACShaders/Content
    Paths=../../../Engine/Plugins/2D/Paper2D/Content
    Paths=../../../Engine/Plugins/Editor/CryptoKeys/Content
    Paths=../../../Engine/Plugins/Editor/MeshEditor/Content
    Paths=../../../Engine/Plugins/Enterprise/DatasmithContent/Content
    Paths=../../../Engine/Plugins/Media/MediaCompositing/Content
    Paths=../../../Engine/Plugins/Runtime/Steam/SteamVR/Content
    Paths=../../../Engine/Plugins/Runtime/Oculus/OculusVR/Content

[SystemSettings]
    r.DefaultFeature.AntiAliasing=2
    r.TemporalAACurrentFrameWeight=0.2
    r.TemporalAASamples=32
    r.TemporalAASharpness=0.8
    r.Tonemapper.Sharpen=1

[Oculus.Settings]
    GraphicsAdapter=0
    AudioInputDevice="{0.0.1.00000000}.{...........................................................}"
    AudioOutputDevice="{0.0.0.00000000}.{........................................................}"
    r.TemporalAACatmullRom=1
    r.TemporalAASamples=4
    r.Tonemapper.Sharpen=4

[/Script/WindowsTargetPlatform.WindowsTargetSettings]
    AudioDevice=Headphones (Rift Audio)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Where are those [Console Settings] that you are talking about?
    Should I reinstall game? (I just updated it to 0.6 versions without full reinstall.
    Why not state that game should be reinstalled clean ? Confusing

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
  8. Adastros

Adastros Racer

how can i lower the brightness in the night ?

9. TRIAS

TRIAS Racer

Doh, reinstalled the game. Now the game sees my G25 but when I press 'advanced' to choose what controls what nothing happens. Even knobs on my wheel (shift up/down). Anyone had this? Man, this AC2 wear out my patience . Frustrating....

SOLVED!!! Pls ignore this post

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
  10. Pheebau

Pheebau Gamer

See above - add this to the engine.ini ( [ConsoleVariables] section )

r.Color.Mid=0.3 (or try 0.4)

11. Pheebau

Pheebau Gamer

@mikendrix

Awesome mate - r.Color.Mid=0.3 is too dark for me :p

I also turned on Anysotropy Transparency to x2 in the nvidia control panel for ACC in order to reduce flickering on edges with transparency - going over 2 would impact FPS significantly - still experiencing over multisample

12. mikendrix

mikendrix Simracer

Yes, maybe a bit too dark. It also depends on our headsets. Vive, Rift, Odyssey etc don't have the same brightness. It's also a matter of taste.
    I'll try Anisotropic X2, maybe it could do better than Epic TAA.

There is also these Nvidia settings, from Unionjackstar :

My Nvidia settings in ACC profile:

MFAA = on (global setting)
    Threaded optimization = off
    VSync = off
    virtual reality pre-rendered frames = 3 (this gave me a lot of performance)

Here : https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/share-your-vr-graphic-settings.160409/page-10

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
    boabmatic likes this.
  13. Japualtah

Japualtah Rookie

This is NOT a midrange PC by any stretch of the imagination, it still is high end and most people don't have such a system.
    Mid range is i5, 8 Go RAM, 1060 GTX.

Just sayin'

Ace Pumpkin, Pheebau and f_deutsch like this.
  14. Pheebau

Pheebau Gamer

@mikendrix Good point about the headsets brightness.

Sorry I meant Antialiasing Transparency, not Anysotropy which I set at 16 in the engine.ini (r.MaxAnisotropy=16)

Am not seeing any difference with MFAA on - the other params you mentioned is what I run currently besides MFAA

mikendrix likes this.
  15. Plastic_Manc

Plastic_Manc Hardcore Simmer

I know nothing about VR but been reading this to try and understand what kind of performance I would get if I bought a headset.

I have some money to throw at the pc come the end of the month and am really torn between fanatec clubsport pedals or going into the world of VR.

New graphics card in a rtx 2070 but seems that CPU is also important and wondering if a 4790k will allow a decent balance of performance? Sorry for jumping in but a greater level of experience than I have in this thread.

16. mikendrix

mikendrix Simracer

My rig is older, and I can run and enjoy the game, even without tweaks, so there is no problem with yours (CGU, RAM, CPU : you are all fine)

A 4790K is an i7, I think you can activate hyperthreading.
    I have seen in a post here someone telling it gave him a boost in performance while activating HT.
    In single races ACC must handle a lot of AI, so it relies highly on the CPU, I think HT could help.

Also since it's a K it should be easily overclocked. Mine is a 4690K, I set it to 4,4ghz with 1.30V, it never goes over 60°C and it's pretty stable.

17. Plastic_Manc

Plastic_Manc Hardcore Simmer

Thanks for the help. It's mildly overclocked currently at 4.6ghz as the earlier ACC builds seem to crash a lot on overclocked cpus.

Good to know that should get decent performance.

18. mikendrix

mikendrix Simracer

From my experience ACC/UE4 crashes only when I overclock my GPU, not my CPU.
    It gives me "Unreal Engine is exiting due to D3D device being lost. (Error: 0x887A0006 - 'HUNG')".
    No problem at all then when I reset my GPU to its original frequencies.

19. chksix

chksix Hardcore Simmer

The machine you are listing is a low end spec IMO since it will barely run VR. I have a low to mid range setup (in spoiler signature below) where I have to reduce everything to minimum to drive in 90 fps.
    Computer specs for VR have to be measured on a different scale compared to flat screen. VR takes us back to the 90's again with visuals like DOOM, Quake, Descent etc had while you are running a computer which could easily drive a 4K screen at 100 Hz ;)

capt nasties likes this.
  20. boabmatic

boabmatic Hardcore Simmer

yeah I've saw that error too when running msi afterburner overclocks