1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

A random thought about the rating system

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by Poguinhas, Mar 30, 2019.

1. Poguinhas

Poguinhas Alien

First of all, this isn't meant to be a criticism, I was just wondering about the subject and would like to see the opinions here on the forum about this, if one of the devs could reply that would be great, but if not, I understand it.

What I'm wondering is: How is the driver rating system gonna translate into something that matches players of similar skill? What I mean is, we have track competence, consistency, car control, pace, safety, racecraft and competition, all of which translate into a driver overall rating, that categorizes him into Bronze, Silver, Gold and Platinum (I'm not sure this last part is working well at the moment but it doesn't matter).

All of these competences are important to make a driver as fast as possible over a qualifying lap, as well as from start to finish on a race, but how will they all add up to sum up how good a driver is? I mean, some of these ratings I can get up in the mid 90's quite easily, while my safety rating has fallen to around 20, and just falls more and more while I do free practice (I mean, wtf?).
    So will a driver with a consistency of 95 and pace of 80 be as good as a driver with 95 pace and 80 consistency? Will they have different contributions to the overall score? How will we get into a state where the overall score accurately shows how good a driver is? Just seems like a monumental task to me, since we're over 6 months of early access and some of these don't even work well individually.

I wonder if an ELO system wouldn't be easier to implement and more accurate, it would just be like: Beat a driver and your rating increases, get beaten and it decreases, beat a low rated driver and it increases a little, beat a high rated driver and it increases a lot, and so on until you reach equilibrium and get constantly matched against driver of similar skill.

Anyway, I know most of the replies will just say "Give it time, it's early access", and I'm not saying it's all wrong, since I believe those ratings are quite a good way to improve. I was simply thinking about it and wondering if it would be a good subject to discuss.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions FFB coming and going at random with Thurstmaster TS-XW Aug 27, 2023
    ACC Troubleshooting Random appearing red pixels Jul 20, 2023
    ACC Troubleshooting ACC Crashing at random May 20, 2023
    ACC Troubleshooting UE4 Fatal Error at random times during driving Apr 22, 2023
    ACC Controls & Peripherals Xbox controller rumble randomly stops working correctly Mar 16, 2023
    Bug reports Random Xbox Series X crashes Jan 4, 2023
    Chit Chat Room [HELP] Random day time Dec 14, 2022
    ACC Troubleshooting Random Fatal Errors [GPU overclock] Jul 31, 2022
    ACC Troubleshooting Random Game Crashes Jul 18, 2022
    ACC Troubleshooting Fatal Error Crashes in Game at random. Jul 13, 2022
    ACC Troubleshooting Fatal Error Crashing In Game; Random!? Jul 11, 2022
    ACC Troubleshooting Game goes back to desktop at random times. w11 , 3080 12gb May 16, 2022
    ACC Troubleshooting [1.8.13] Random UE4 crash at beginning or end of races Apr 19, 2022
    ACC Virtual Reality Controls not working in menus randomly. Mar 26, 2022
    ACC Troubleshooting ACC random pak mismach afte 1.18.11 Mar 13, 2022

3. baakstaff

baakstaff Racer

Certainly the SA rating is somewhat broken in the current build, but the RC rating is likely what you're looking for; its supposed to compare two drivers and change the score based on how they compete against each other.

Example:
    Driver A has a RC of 90
    Driver B has a RC of 70

Driver B is defending from Driver A
    - The longer Driver B is able to successfully defend from Driver A, their rating will increase
    - The longer Driver A is stuck behind Driver B, their rating will decrease

I believe RC also has your finishing position contribute to it's value to some extent, but not to the degree of actually racing other drivers. So finishing 10th but fighting hard for it throughout the race may net more RC than winning by 30 seconds

So yes, each rating has value in comparing drivers, but only in certain scenarios. If you're looking for a driver vs driver comparison on track, RC and SA should be the main focuses; because even if there's a PC 95 driver racing against a PC 80 driver, if their RC ratings are similar they should still be able to fight (to some degree)

In terms of actually matching drivers with similar skill levels, there are plans to have the SA, RC and TR Ratings act as requirements for servers; for example, to join a server you may need 50 SA, 70 RC, etc.

Using RC as a guide to find drivers around your skill level on track while using SA and TR as a way to avoid potential wreckers is the current goal it seems. Maybe once the Competition Rating is introduced we'll have more insight as to what the plan is to wrap up all these ratings into a nice double-digit package.

4. Poguinhas

Poguinhas Alien

Racecraft is indeed important, but then again it doesn't have too much influence in qualifying, which also is important to determine your finishing position. What I'm thinking is that the actual ELO rank is gonna be the Competition competence, of which we haven't seen much information yet. But if only one competence is taking into account to match different players (keeping in mind that SA will always be a part of it as well), then all the other ones are there just to show you where you can improve? I was thinking that all of them would make up for a final rating.

Im really interested to know how are things gonna work out in the end.

5. Minolin

Minolin Staff Member KS Dev Team

RC is already an Elo rating

6. Poguinhas

Poguinhas Alien

But what I'm wondering is: will the final rating that's used to match drivers be a composition of other ratings, or will it just be its own thing?
    Don't worry, I'm not expecting you to answer (although if you did it would be pretty cool :rolleyes:).

7. Minolin

Doesn't make much sense to use only one data point when you have many.

Right now we already use various information from the ratings to bring up servers with the best matches in terms of competitive (and clean) racing up into your server list, ofc. dependent on your settings.
    Having so many options it's obviously always a question of probability, but given two very similar servers you will find the one with more people on your level higher in the list.

8. martcerv

martcerv Alien

I'm still wondering how the ratings will be implemented for servers, for us in Australia I don't think it will work anywhere near as well as Europe due to way lower user base. 25 million people within 100ms ping vs probably close to 1 billion in Europe just greatly limits numbers so we will be lucky to get a few good servers running here.

I do hope at the very least clean racers will be kept away from the t1 Muppets and general poor racers, if we have solid enough ratings otherwise it's going to be doing not much.

If it favours showing us servers with 350+ ping then these I have no interest in and hopefully we also have ping limits to keep the Euro's out of any good servers we have assuming the admin wants to keep connections to locals only. I hope we can also set our browser to not show a list of servers where 98% of them are such high ping I would never join them.

I really haven't used ACC much recently being away on holidays for a month and currently mp doesn't interest me much yet.

Looking forward to the release and hoping it will make it easy to jump online and get some good hard clean racing at least most evenings. Hopefully we have options beyond just league racing or Iracing for a good mp racing experience.

The ratings are cool even without being linked to mp but until we really see this in all its glory it's hard for us to understand it's effectiveness.

9. Minolin

Ya I'd love to invent some quantum magics that magically improves latency for the outer regions. Everyone would win :)

Until then, we can only hope to engage enough people so they can meet in hotspots that allow at least good racing.
    Though we can see if we can improve the server list, so you definitively see all the potentially interesting servers.

10. Improve multiplayer code for high ping. iracing works much better under these conditions than ac1 and ACC. so there is plenty of room to improve.

R. Iván likes this.
  11. TDS

TDS Alien

Iracing better how? Blinking cars in front of you?

Arlo and Nox like this.
  12. khrop

khrop Racer

Can't fix people's connection when it comes to packet loss but high ping in iRacing is perfectly driveable and most people drive around with 100+ ping no issue.

13. Minolin

As far as my observations go, ACC is quite good even in a range of 200-300ms latency - if the connection quality is good and the latency is very stable.
    However it doesn't like the ping fluctuating a lot, or many pakets going lost. I can imagine there's room for improvement here, but I doubt there is much to do when the connection is bad.

14. TRIAS

TRIAS Racer

I love both AC and upcoming ACC very much, but Iracing net code is just on another level. It literally feels like being on LAN.

15. mikendrix

mikendrix Simracer

I can confirm this I did some races yesterday with nearly 200ms ping I didn't notice any problem. For me it was the same as a 50ms ping session.

Luis Branco likes this.
  16. D.Jankovic

D.Jankovic Alien

Just like LAN connection..Sure..

And i seen this stuff happen on ESPORT competition where cars every single car was disappearing off and on the track for like 10minutes UNTIL that LAN connection got stable.

EDIT:

Yes it maybe it is not happening on a lot of occasions but sure do it is not also happening in ACC like this. And deffinetlly not a way to solve a PING problem online make car dissapear lol.

chksix and Aseeth like this.
  17. TRIAS

TRIAS Racer

I cant be sure as it is very subjective , but seems like iracing shows car movements in submillimiter range while AC/ACC engine shows motion if car moved more then 2 mm. Please, dont hold me on this but that is how i feel. Would be interesting to know how many mm the car should move in ACC physical world before engine actually moves it graphically?

LukFry likes this.
  18. TRIAS

TRIAS Racer

Jacovich, your example is what happens with unstable ping, AC and apparently ACC show that car is "swimming back and forth" in such situation. Doesnt add immersion in VR either.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
  19. Whipdiddywhip

Whipdiddywhip Simracer

regarding latency, cars yoyo'ing forward and back is not good, ac suffered with this badly and i've seen acc have similar issues

20. D.Jankovic

D.Jankovic Alien

:D :D :D

None of the HIGH ping situations add to the immersion tbh. But solution is just not to play with high ping people. And allow servers limiting ping to 300ms max and that is over allowing it also :D

i`d say 200ms pings would be acceptable anything over that kick from server race and that is it.

21. TRIAS

TRIAS Racer

A person with stable 200ms ping is better then unstable 50ms ping.

Luis Branco likes this.