1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

ACC Safety Car

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by Zorasht, Sep 15, 2018.

1. Echo_29

Echo_29 Hardcore Simmer

In a league safety cars can be pretty good, but I would also like the option to have it included.

2. jaxx_za

jaxx_za Hardcore Simmer

Not sure how practical this is going to be. In most AC online racers, back markers get tangled up or go off course fairly regularly. Would imagine if the safety car was implemented, it would be out fairly regularly as a result, which would be frustrating and an emersion breaker for the more skilled racers upfront.

I do realize that ACC is supposed to have a better driver matching system, but I'm sure the experience level requirements would have to be relaxed to fill up the grid in cases.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

3. Turk

Turk Alien

While it would be a cool experience the first few times, I don't think it would be a widely used feature. I don't know how it would be implemented in a race where cars can just disappear when they crash. Without having moving vehicles to justify the wait I just don't see how it would work. What if the AI vehicles transporting wrecked cars get themselves stuck on something and they can't get off the tracks leaving the race in limbo.

Freddie Seng likes this.
  4. Raklödder

Raklödder Simracer

It has almost become a meme by now and I would think the game would benefit greatly from having a safety car since it would add another layer of immersion.

However I can only imagine the nightmare having to program that thing, but I'm game as long as I can hear the race directory scream "full course yellow" on the radio.

5. gornar

gornar Gamer

Kunos can add a "race director mode" (similar to spectator mode), where a human can deploy a safety car or VSC, for the online league.

Sounds good.

PLebre, DarthJysky and cerebralvortex like this.
  6. Turk

Turk Alien

But what happens? Does someone else have to drive a recovery truck to the crash and load the vehicle, then drive it away? Or maybe get an average of how long it takes to remove a car from a particular area and just go off that. Cars disappear as normal and we just wait a predetermined amount of time before the safety car goes in.

It obviously won't be a feature used in the average 10 lap online race.

7. D.Jankovic

D.Jankovic Alien

Safety car is important part of the Blancpain attleast from my pov. When i was watching the race..the ammount of times FCY is called in,and when everything is done they call in safety car and gather the group up and than green light.
    In Spa 24h this was happening almost every time something happens FCY and bam Safety car for a lap or two and than green flag.

Kunos AI is good. And they will have AI pitting so half of the work done for Safety car. Now bigest question is the crashed cars and how to deal with them.

if AI is crashed good option would be leave the car where it is... get the group to move around it (if on track) and deploy safety car and than when group is away from a car just remove car of the track.

But than for players it will be a bit hard time. You can do same with Player car if damaged and if not able to drive it(depends on damage maybe engineer can tell him turn off the car) let it sit there lap or two under FCY and than deploy safety car and teleport to pits. (maybe give player video on screen how they are loading up car and transporting to pits :D)

Salad Fingers likes this.
  8. Zorasht

Zorasht Gamer

I don't believe it to be a nightmare to program. It may be challenging, and needs to be tweaked for each circuit, but iRacing has it in the ovals from C license and above, so I don't believe it to be such as hard thing to do. (And many other games have had it in the past)

For a healthy online racing system, probably it should be off for the lower divisions, where people are learning to compete and race with others around, and crashes are more common, but it should be a must for races with more experience drivers.

Rehooja and D.Jankovic like this.
  9. D.Jankovic

D.Jankovic Alien

Had same thought and wanted to write it in my post but it sliped away. But exactlly what i was thinking...just disable the option in lower ranks. and have it in some mid-high tier ranks.

Rehooja likes this.
  10. magzire

magzire Alien

Never going to happen

11. KRoman47

KRoman47 Racer

Yeah, I'm surprised how some people (2 or 3?) wants this, it's boring even in real races and not necessary in virtual counterparts so why? This isn't the realism that add anything to the immersion rather than lowering the immersion, what else it can be to cruise for an hour behind SC in endurance races.

12. Zorasht

Zorasht Gamer

We are not talking about about cruising for an hour behind the SC, we are talking about a few laps to get the cars back together, that it is what it does in real life. How long the SC is on the the track is not the point, the point is to regroup the cars, change strategies to pit and so on.

Obviously it is not needed in a 10 lap quick race, but if you are racing the 3 hours of Silverstone or the 24h of Spa with several drivers in the team, the SC is a must and should be there, to affect the races the same way they get affected during the real thing.

As I said before, it is in the ovals in iRacing and it is a blast. It is a pity that iRacing is so focused on the American motor sports and does not implement it for the road races.

Rehooja, Turk, Epistolarius and 3 others like this.
  13. gornar

gornar Gamer

For Example in le Mans 2018, Porsche GT won for SC.

14. Salad Fingers

Salad Fingers Simracer

Boring or not, it is what it is and that's how it is in real life. This game is supposed to simulate Blancpain so I don't see why there wouldn't be a safety car when it obviously affects the outcome of a race in a large degree.

Rehooja and Epistolarius like this.
  15. delpinsky

delpinsky Gamer

ACC is the simulation of Blancpain GT.
    Blancpain GT has Safety Car.
    ACC must have Safety Car as well if they want to properly simulate the Blancpain GT.
    Also, if they can give us an ENABLE/DISABLE option, is fine.

I'd love to see convincing chassis damage and not only mechanical failures, as chassis damages are part of the simulation.
    I don't mean complete damage, which is forbidden by some car manufacturer (it seems), but at least some nice damage to the chassis would be cool.
    I understand it will never happen, but, since iRacing is doing this thing on their sim, and they are doing it properly, as it seems, I don't see why Kunos can't do the same....

Epistolarius and Salad Fingers like this.
  16. Having full course yellows with a safety car will make sense whenever the day comes that a blown engine covers the track in oil, or a wreck spreads debris and liquids. I don't see that day happening anytime in the lifespan of ACC though.

Freddie Seng and Eero like this.
  17. chksix

chksix Hardcore Simmer

FCY requires that crashed cars remain by the track where they crashed while the marshals recover the car and repair railing etc. No reset to pits if you get stuck in the sand. The SC and FCY's are part of the real teams tactics when planning for the race pitstops etc so they should be part of the simulation too.

Zorasht likes this.
  18. Mike1304

Mike1304 Alien

I think the game Automobilista has a safety car. So ACC could implement it like in Automobilista. Don‘t know if it’s good though...

19. HammerHomicide

HammerHomicide Simracer

Maybe these could be included in the Race server's settings? The one hosting the races could check tick boxes to have FCY, Safety Car, no ESC'ing yourself to pits and all that.

For debris, oil spills, broken rails and all that, I don't think they'd need to be physically rendered, just some kind of mechanic to calculate their occurance and amount, depending on the severity of the crash. If the crash goes over a certain treshold the game then says there's one, some or all of the above on the track and FCY or Safety Car is dispatched (according to Blancpain regulations). How long it would take to clean/fix the track would again depend on the severity of the crash. Say, a small single car spin and a little dent on a railing could be done within just one lap and a massive pile up would require several laps behind the SC.

As for getting towed back to pits in the event your car is FUBAR, I think it could be done just by making you wait for the few minutes it takes for the tow truck to get to you and haul your sorry butt back to the pits. If making an actual tow truck appear in front of you and tow you to pits isn't a feasible option, that is. Although if my memory serves me right, the old Papyrus' Nascar games had the actual tow truck. And your spotter saying something along the lines of "we're done here, just sit tight and wait for the tow truck" after you totalled your car.

I'd very much like to see these implemented in the game. Like already mentioned, they play an important part on race strategies etc. A nightmare for one who's thinking they're coasting to an easy victory and a massive stroke of luck to someone who thought the victory was already out of reach.

But they should definitely be optional, decided either by you for your own offline racing and by the host for the online races, so those who don't want them can race without them and those who want to go full realism, can have the whole nine yards.

Rehooja and Zorasht like this.
  20. Tkeg

Tkeg Gamer

F1 2018 has a working (actually it's full of bugs, but that's just classic Codemasters) Safety Car system which is great. It gets deployed if there's a big crash or a car stopped in an awkward place. It's a great addition for solo races, even if you are 20 seconds behind the leader you're still motivated because you know a SC can change everything. I hope ACC will have it.

trutya, Typer, Zorasht and 3 others like this.