1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

PHYSICS ACC v1.6 Improved simulation of downforce at yaw angles

Discussion in 'ACC Blog' started by Aristotelis, Nov 18, 2020.

1. Aristotelis

Aristotelis Will it drift? Staff Member KS Dev Team

We are constantly evolving our aerodynamic modelling with new features and improvements. ACC v1.6 brings further improvements to the aerodynamic yaw simulation.

When an aerodynamic element (splitter, wing or diffuser) starts moving towards a different yaw angle, its efficiency changes. In certain, very small, angles some highly advanced aerodynamic elements might not lose any efficiency at all or even provide extra efficiency. But inevitably, as the yaw angle raises, the efficiency will get worse up to the point of complete stall and loss of any downforce. In ACC these effects have always been simulated, but now the simulation is more complex and far from being linear, taking into consideration also different behaviours at different angles and speeds. Obviously each car has its own behaviour and characteristics.

The result is an improved control of slides at low speeds, more dangerous situations when drifting at medium speeds and downright scary and deadly handling if you lose control at higher speeds. Keep in mind thought that if you keep your tyres in normal peak slip angles at any speed, nothing will change at all. The new aero yaw simulation effects are felt in the handling at over-the-limit yaw angles.

aero_yaw_new_model.jpg
    As they say, an image is worth a thousand words.
    You can check the vehicle yaw angle, or simply put a slight drift or slide against the direction of travel. When this happens in the graphs beside you can see a simplified representation of the downforce levels both at low and higher speeds and how the downforce efficiency worsens with yaw angle. The magenta dotted graph is the old model, while the coloured gradient graph is the new model. Their differences have been exaggerated for the sake of the visualisation example.

Seeking to achieve an even more realistic driving simulation, we explore the deeper details that affect car handling. Our experience has been that better simulation always results in more driving enjoyment.
    In ACC v1.6 the enjoyment of driving a car on the limit is enhanced by improved slow-speed control and the feel of staying right on the edge at higher speeds, combined with the satisfying results of progressing to and keeping optimum hot pressures.

We hope you will like it as much as we enjoyed developing it.

A-Jin, DiegoSR, ericRacer and 55 others like this.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions ACC Will it get cross party not just cross play on consoles? Saturday at 3:02 PM
    ACC Physics Does ACC not implement real life braking mechanics?(Need some insights on this recent youtube video) Mar 16, 2024
    ACC Multiplayer Communicating with accServer.exe (previously acRemoteServerUDP) Mar 14, 2024
    Multiplayer Bugs & Issues Time of Day adjustment on AC Server Maker stuck at 8:00-18:00 even though I have full version ACCM Mar 2, 2024
    ACC Screenshots & Videos ACC on PC with Controller | Race Element /ps5 controller activate triggers Feb 28, 2024
    ACC Tools ACC will not recognise my Elgato steamdeck Feb 15, 2024
    Bug reports ACC Restrictor parameter Feb 7, 2024
    ACC Online Leagues / Championships room ACC Official Server higher requirement Jan 30, 2024
    ACC Online Leagues / Championships room ACC LEAGUE AUSTRALIA Jan 29, 2024
    ACC Tools ACC Time Trial Jan 24, 2024
    ACC Troubleshooting ACC me funciona mal Jan 17, 2024
    ACC Tools ACC Telemetry - timing gaps Jan 15, 2024
    ACC Multiplayer Dedicated Server shows up in Lobby without ping value and cannot be accessed Jan 11, 2024
    ACC Controls & Peripherals What's happened to ACC FFB Jan 3, 2024
    ACC Physics Differentiate AC and ACC Shared Memory With Different Naming. Jan 3, 2024

3. trasgu

trasgu Simracer

You guys never cease to amaze me. You could had kept the linear simplification and nobody would had noticed it, but just for proffesional pride You guys created a new algorithm. That deserves respect.

This level of attention of detail makes me wonder if it is also simulated how the airflow have a lateral influence in the car?. I mean, not just only the wind per se, but how the yaw angle make the lateral surfaces of the car act as a rudder. My clueless guess is that the wind push the outside lateral surface push the car inwards helping the car to steer or at least to keep trajectory.

4. Axel Vogelsang

Axel Vogelsang Simracer

I just did a couple of laps in free practice at Monza with the BMW (what I usually do right after every update :rolleyes:) and my first impression is that the car is now way more unpredictable.

Until you reach a decent tire pressure it is so unpredictably oversteery sometimes and it is unbelievable to imagine to push with a car like this right out of the pits in a race.
    Even with tyres up to temperature the car is so edgy now. I feel so much less confident now with the same setup like before.

The second impression I got is that the effect of a non perfect (not a bad) corner exit is more punishing now. I loose easily one or two tenth now, without even recognizing a difference to the lap before. And this is hurting the whole straighline now. Formerly I never had the same impression. I was so much more consinstent (4-5 laps within 2-3 tenth on lap after another). That is unimaginable now.

Edit: https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/sudden-loss-of-speed-with-100-throttle.67373/

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
  5. seb 6th gear

seb 6th gear Simracer

Kunos always putting the work on the table again and again to refine the already top notch physics, raising the level of authenticity and closing "exploits"...
    I love you guys!

Andy Sperber, its.me and sissydriver like this.
  6. Rogue Leader

Rogue Leader Hardcore Simmer

THIS so much. As someone who has had a lot of experience driving real cars at the limit (though never something as exotic as a GT3) the number one thing that frustrates me racing in a sim is when the handling doesn't behave as you would expect it at certain limits. This is what has kept me on ACC non stop and kept me off other sims.

AndyK70 and LATE4APEX like this.
  7. Hey everyone. I would like to make a question.
    So for what I understood, depending on the season that we choose, the BOP for the cars and track grip levels are diffrent right? apart from the tyres of course

For ex. If I choose to drive in 2019 Monza, the grip and BOP will be diffrent if I choose to make a race in 2020 Monza?

Thank you.

8. AndyK70

AndyK70 Alien

joao.cavaca.88 likes this.