1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

ACC VR SPECIFIC VERSION

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by Mario Moretti, Oct 16, 2018.

1. Today I had this strange thought:
    Given that I think that ACC regarding the simulation aspect is and will surely be the best SIM available that I want to use BUT IN VR ONLY;
    Since I think many other users are not willing to give up the immersiveness of VR;
    Since VR now has obvious performance problems and graphic quality;
    Since, in my opinion, even with possible future optimizations, VR will still not be good enough. (Stefano magic excluded);
    Since the limitations in the quality of VR are probably due to the presence of the day / night cycle and the rain that require a large amount of resources;
    Given all of the above, would you buy a version of ACC for VR with the best VR possible with current hardware, but without day / night and rain cycle, but with crystal-clear VR quality?

Considerations from absolute ignorant in programming and computer graphics.

I'd like to hear other opinions about it
    Regards

2. Winston

Winston Hardcore Simmer

With all due respect it's EA and there are a lot of assumptions in your post.
    I know nothing about games programming in general or Unreal 4 engine or the intricacies on VR implementation for that matter so I'll pass on this one.

3. you can try AC1 is a quite good sim.

and works fine on VR

nate likes this.
  4. Whipdiddywhip

Whipdiddywhip Simracer

never gonna happen

5. Tberg

Tberg Alien

Sorry, carry on

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
  6. Aristotelis

Aristotelis Will it drift? Staff Member KS Dev Team

@Mario Moretti just to give you also an explanation of why this can never happen, not only for us but for any other company or dev.
    Creating a different version would be practically creating another half game, which means having to work on 1.5 titles at the same time. Even worse, would mean giving support to 2 different titles.
    Before thinking that this might not be the case, let me stop you and tell you that yes we have done this before. It was called AC console version. We are a small company with a very niche market. We need to stay focused on what we do, one title at a time.

P.S. as you see I'm not even mentioning how small the VR market is. Loud indeed, respected, but incredibly small. So that wouldn't make sense by any means.

7. xemxem

xemxem Rookie

You mean, you want to remove the best aspect when playing with VR that right now ACC has?
    This is kind of weird thinking.

8. TRIAS

TRIAS Racer

While indeed VR market is small as you mentioned, but it is a market where we are all moving towards, and I am not talking auto sims space only. I know DCS (well known flight sim) is working hard to implement Vulkan (read: multiGPU support). Pimax is coming with higher res HMDs. The thing is ACC is for most users is an ENTERTAINMENT first and foremost. When multiGPU solutions in simulators will start to appear, then as an entertainment product which ultimately ACC is, will be competing with flight sims, shooters which offer vastly better graphics (new HMDs + multiGPU support) . Yes, die hard auto simmers will stay, but those who treat ACC as an entertainment will move on, taking the BUZZ there. You already created buzz when Nvidia CEO mentioned ACC presenting RTX GPUs . I bet audience at that NVIDIA conference and people who watched it on youtube never heard about Kunos Simulazione. By implementing multiGPU support either through Vulcan or Nvidia VR SLI, ACC as a product will be mentioned as cutting edge product for HMD users which will not hurt your sales.

9. Aristotelis

Aristotelis Will it drift? Staff Member KS Dev Team

@TRIAS Your logic is correct, but it misses some important reality checks.
    Everything you mention needs a lot of development time, time that can be allocated differently, amongst other things, optimization that everyone can benefit from.
    DCS that you mention, an amazing piece of software, costs 80$ a plane... we have an early access going that gives you access to the whole game AND next season cars and tracks for... 25€. Different market, different market size.
    The market is not moving towards VR... well it is, but not by numbers that make sense, I'm sorry. When I say small numbers I'm not talking something like 20% going towards 30%, heck I'm not talking even 10%. I'm not allowed to tell numbers but we're talking about very, very, VERY small numbers. So yeah if you have 100 users and become 200, it's a 100% improvement... but still just 200 users against hundred of thousands ;)

So either we completely change marketing and price strategy (which will hurt a lot for the numbers at stake), or we try to do our best, and early adopters of this tecnology, also try to do their best by buying cutting edge hardware. It's a bad situation, where users are spending thousands to HW but then (respectfully so), complain to the 20-50€ software. You can imagine why some big big developers, decide to not even spent resources to support VR and/or leave it for later, after all it's done.

Rosko, Freddie Seng, Rehooja and 11 others like this.
  10. Gunja

Gunja Alien

@Aristotelis admit it, you love VR and that's why we have it so early :D

11. Typer

Typer Simracer

Well I for one am massively grateful for VR support in AC and ACC! I was all set to upgrade my PS3 to a PS4 and PSVR for GT Sport, but then I stumbled across AC with its newly released VR support on YouTube and it was a revelation. I bought a PC, a Vive and AC and never looked back. Thank you Kunos for the hundreds of hours of joy AC have given me!

I actually feel a bit bad about getting ACC on EA for such a low price. Perhaps some massively overpriced skins as DLC are in order, which I can buy to alleviate my guilt :)

12. TRIAS

TRIAS Racer

Ohh man, brutal reality. Hell with it, I am gonna call my wife and ask for a hug.

Pirhana-A likes this.
  13. Yes, i know that. AC is the best sim in VR actually.

Pirhana-A and Gonzalo Rodriguez like this.
  14. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek Alien

I too, am grateful for VR-support in AC and ACC and we have to consider that VR has not gained in popularity as was first hoped. There are quite a few titles that do not include it and more on the way so it should make those that do have support, even more appreciated and valuable imo.

jim jones likes this.
  15. Hi Aris,

I
    Hi Aris, first of all I want to emphasize that I am a great fan of yours work and I consider Stefano a true genius of programming. I understand your arguments and I realize that the VR market is really small but for what concerns me I would be willing to pay a full price 50/60 euros or even more a version of ACC without night and rain but with VR graphics equal to your jewel AC.
    The market must also be created.
    Fans who have hardware costing thousands of euros i dont think would have problems paying 100/200 euros for a version that fully exploits it? I think no.
    Anyway, thanks for the reply and especially for yours work from which exudes passion and intelligence.

16. kofotsjanne

kofotsjanne Alien

Buy an extra copy for a friend or give it away here or racedepartement.

mms likes this.
  17. Typer

Typer Simracer

Please don’t take this negatively, it’s not meant aggressively, but when you say you understand his arguments, I don’t think you do.

There would be little real technical benefit to be had by creating a separate VR-only version of the game (assuming staying with UE) and the size of the market just isn’t big enough to cover the additional overhead of having to support a separate title.

I think we just have to wait for decent gen 2 VR hardware to be released and for tech like foveated rendering to be properly supported, to reduce the pressure on the GPU that VR currently demands before VR has broader appeal.

nate and mms like this.
  18. Mike1304

Mike1304 Alien

Haha! I hope Stefano won’t read this!
    He was tormented for months/years because he couldn’t add night and rain to AC1 and now this! :D:D:D

Typer and mms like this.
  19. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Alien

@Mario Moretti have you tried the [ConsoleVariables] settings in WindowsNoEditor\Engine.ini?
    It is already way better than what we started with and, to me , demonstrate that with a little patience, we will get a stellar implementation of VR in ACC with rain, night and all.:D

Gunja likes this.
  20. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Alien

I always knew VR SIM drivers were exceptional.:D
    "exceptional
    adjective, US /ɪkˈsep·ʃə·nəl/
    Not like most others of the same type; unusual.
    "

and as mentioned earlier very noisy for their size.:D
    [​IMG]

Gunja likes this.