1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

PHYSICS Aero. I believe I can fly…

Discussion in 'ACC Blog' started by Aristotelis, Sep 8, 2018.

1. AllyITA

AllyITA Rookie

how does a car in front influence a car in the back? is it just "less downforce/drag"?

f_deutsch likes this.
  2. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Racer

So, to be competitive we need to be driver / mechanic / engineer all in one ? :D

3. Winston

Winston Hardcore Simmer

and a weather forecaster and an aerodynamicist :D

eRacer212 likes this.
  4. Winston

Winston Hardcore Simmer

I know there are variables that have an influence (like weather, track conditions and driver preferences) but I wonder if generally setups in ACC will map directly to a real car and vice versa?

5. Epistolarius

Epistolarius Alien

Curious to see how some of the setups/setup choices I've been comfortable with in AC translate to ACC.

6. SlimCharles

SlimCharles Alien

Good lord.

The amount of detail on the physics it's utterly insane. If I manage to dominate sufficiently how to set up the car, Do I get the mechanical engineering degree? :p

Great work! And thanks to Aris to take the time to explain it.

7. misterbeam

misterbeam Hardcore Simmer

It's actually possible to simulate aeromaps with AC's wing system, i don't quite understand what's really new with this system (the post doesn't specify it clearly). With an improved "wing system" you could simulate roll effects and wings dependency and everything mentioned in the OP (if we scrap away the generalities about airflow and such that we all know can only be simulated using real time CFD).
    Also, i highly doubt that anyone would send a car on track with such setup complications, i have never seen an aero map with a 20% aerobalance shift for 10mm (i understand that most of the people here don't realize how big is that) ... unless the design is really bad.

mclarenf1papa and garyjpaterson like this.
  8. Pulley

Pulley Simracer

yet another superb Blog post, so good it gave me wind....not of the bottom variety! I know it can affect cars handling when it's gusty or strong enough, it has the power to allow drivers to have later braking points and it also makes sections of track more difficult than the previous day because it's blowing in the opposite direction.

So, is Wind simulated in ACC?

earlyapex likes this.
  9. gandlers

gandlers Hardcore Simmer

I'm more inclined to believe what Aris has said.
    You may not agree with him, but I think he knows more what ACC and AC do "under the bonnet" than us!

trucidatio, Typer and D.Jankovic like this.
  10. Neilski

Neilski Alien

Yeah, scary complicated!
    I've decided that I'm gonna have to save up and rent a real GT3 for a few days so I can understand how to drive ACC :D

dermonty likes this.
  11. What downforce really boils down to is the force at the front and rear axles; whether it be CFD aeromaps with 1mm increments or a static coefficient of lift at the CoG, the end result is just a force and its position.

In AC, without any “nasty” workarounds or things that could be taken advantage of, you can already make a full aeromap accurate to within 2% of real data (which, if you’re really, really lucky, might be within 2% of what actually happens in real life) within the normal range of ride heights. That goes for rear wing changes as well; front element adjustments can also get close, but take some additional effort.

So, ACC brings some extra accuracy in “stalling” situations, with the delay of forces, and with setup adjustments (all of the things I pestered Stefano to add to AC...along with the new brake temps). Otherwise, it’s not a very far departure from the accuracy that can be achieved in AC - based on what we've been told, anyway.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
  12. PhilS13

PhilS13 Alien

Who knew you only needed to make a new game to make the physics expert say AC was good at something.

13. If you’re referring to me, Phil... Considering that I’ve used AC almost exclusively for the work I’ve done with real teams, it’s fair to say that I consider it quite accurate. It has its flaws, yes, but it can get very close.

14. Neilski

Neilski Alien

Can this include the extreme pitch-sensitivity that Aris mentions?

15. Yes. A “full aeromap” is a 3d map of the coefficient of lift (or aero balance - or drag for that matter) over a large span of front and rear ride heights.

Neilski likes this.
  16. ChrisR

ChrisR Alien

wonder if we will see diffuser stalling.

17. It's something built into an aeromap, so yes (you can already do it in AC, just to a lesser degree of accuracy).

18. hristo1026

hristo1026 Racer

Hello @Aristotelis

Is this ready for September 12th?

19. chuky

chuky Alien

I have a hard time trying to understand how the new aero model can use cfd data, especially if it's data from the manufacturer and not calculated by Kunos for that purpose. Does it mean there is a huge table with different "aero maps" for each angle and speed ? So when you turn, brake and go slowly, all at once ? I can't figure if each aero map is very different from each other, especially when you turn, and how many aero maps you would need for the new aero model. I didn't know manufacturers would do fluid simulations in many different conditions, especially if they were just meant as a visual hint for the team engineer.

20. f_deutsch

f_deutsch Hardcore Simmer

Fascinating reading again !

As expected, suspension and aero setup are very dependent each other. I am expecting to sacrifice slow speed grip in order to gain better performance at high speed. As always, a matter of trade-offs. I guess this is why sometimes race cars are a bit twitch to drive at low speed due to very stiff suspensions.

I am very interested on this too. I am indeed expecting less drag but also less downforce in general. But what about the aero balance. How does it get affected?