1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory.
    Dismiss Notice

AI a bit slow/passive on starting lap

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by Salad Fingers, Sep 17, 2018.

1. Salad Fingers

Salad Fingers Simracer

So, let me start by saying that I'm not fast (yet!). My PB is high 1.58s and my race pace is 1.59-2.01.

When I start the race, the AI seems a bit too passive and sluggish. I can literally make 10 positions in the first lap without breaking a sweat. I make obvious, bold moves and nobody will try to switch their line to defend. After the grid spreads, it becomes more normal and overtaking seems much harder. I was playing at 95% both strength and aggression but I tried 100% and it's the same. It's funny, because at 100% the AI actually outpaces me, but I can still make many overtakes when everyone is close together.

Anyone else noticed that?

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    Console Lounge Weekly Hotlap Challenge #130 – Snake bites black cat May 26, 2019
    ACC User Interface The Warnings/Penalties positioning on-screen is a bit unfortunate Apr 30, 2019
    ACC Gameplay Blue flag waved a bit to late for lapped cars? Apr 5, 2019
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Game won't launch in VR in 64 bits Mar 20, 2019
    ACC General Discussions Early Access 0.5 - Great new car and track, and a bit of maintenance Jan 16, 2019
    ACC User Interface Add a little bit of delay when un-pausing the game Dec 8, 2018
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Assetto won't launch in 64 bit Nov 13, 2018
    ACC Gameplay AI a bit aggressive on the rolling start (video included) Sep 14, 2018
    Programming Language - Apps - GUI Themes Assetto Corsa Competizione EA Alpha plugins 64Bit Available Now! Sep 12, 2018
    Chit Chat Room Survey about simracing & habits - 2018 Aug 20, 2018
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Why does it only run with 32 bit? Aug 12, 2018
    Console Lounge Weekly Hotlap #87 - Another one bites the dust Jul 8, 2018
    Screens & Videos A little bit Art Jul 1, 2018
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Can't Run AC 64bits Mar 27, 2018
    Physics modding - Cars & Tyres Where these bits of data come from ? And pneumatic trail question. Mar 21, 2018

3. ozzyneil

ozzyneil Gamer

Yeah they need to go 4 wide at the start but who knows what sort of pileup that might cause. They're just not quite aggressive enough under brakes, but early days, feedback should help them out i guess.

4. Salad Fingers

Salad Fingers Simracer

Yeah exactly, I see like two cars at most taking the inside, making it easy to pass 5-6 cars on turn one without touching anyone. Then breaking on turn three it's easy to pass another two, etc. But sure, this isn't a complain, more of an observation. Was wondering if others have noticed as well.

5. Rubinski

Rubinski Rookie

I had the same observations.
    It's too easy to pass on the inside in the first corner.

6. matz_AUT

matz_AUT Hardcore Simmer

Yes, it is like this since long before ACC was even a thing.
    The AI it seems, by hardly ever going two or three wide into corner, allows for quite some dive bombing into a couple of corners.
    Also, on the Nürburgring, they in gnerally brake quite early into T1
    I happily exploit this fact, it must be said,...and put the overtake down to my great situational awarness and excellent late braking skills afterwards:D

Salad Fingers likes this.
  7. MsportDAN

MsportDAN Alien

is it in fact a copy and paste ai from ac1?

i notice the same issues :(

8. Salad Fingers

Salad Fingers Simracer

Yeah makes you feel like a boss! Haha... I pulled some amazing overtakes apart from turn 1 :p

9. D_Rod

D_Rod Gamer

I've had the AI block the inside of the first corner numerous times as I tried to out brake them.

After about 7 minutes the pack opens up into three groups I've noticed. You'll have like 8 slow cars, 7 mid pack and 5 alien AI's .....(just from what I've experienced).

10. Nesja

Nesja Racer

The AI feels the same as in AC.
    They brake early and hard, sometimes they seem to ignore your presence, and throughout the race it's as if they become slower and slower.

I'm curious what the AI in the quick race event is set to.
    When I did the quick race event the lead car was way ahead and did a fastest lap of 1:55.1 while all the other cars were really slow.

11. Skybird

Skybird Alien

I hope for a really significant improvement over AC1's AI, becasue I drive 99% of the time in SP.

I just have had a fabulous GT2 race in RR, once again, and that illustrated clearly to me where the deficits are with the AC1 AI. The latter is as situationally aware and reliable , and its fast, yes. Its a good, solid, trustworthy AI, imo. Never I will say it is a bad AI - it isn'T. But it just does not fight. It is not grumpy. It does not take it queer if you overtake it, it does not drive its fangs into your neck, you have no situations like: the player: "I overtook you!" - The AI one second later: "See!? Re-overtake!" - The player "Double-Retake...!" - AI: "Veto...!!!" . In RR, I have fights all over the place, angry AI drivers who were fair, did not shoot me off the track, never, not once, but do not mind to underline their claim by gently rubbing against my door, encouraging me by a mild bump here or there, and, most important: in RR they do not give up once you passed them, they do not let you off the hook easily. THEY COME BACK, and then often with a furor. There were two AI dudes that for the whole length of the race did not let off me, they fought the pack, they fell back, and two laps later they were back in my neck again and beside my window. Whats more, the AI dudes are grumpy against each other as well, and sometimes I had situatiosn where they were four wide. But no fustercluck in turn one, lap one, although things got tight and yelling. Raceroom still is my benchmark in the AI department, and by quite a lead. I hope ACC really learns some tricks from it, it needs them. Its not about having a wreckfest action drama on track, or kamikazes, but: lets face it, the overly pacifist AI in AC1 was reliable, trustworthy, fast in lap times - and boring, because it lacked an artificial will to fight, to win, to pay back, to take revenge, to claim victory. It was as emotional and engaged as a Vulcan. Perfect driving. Boring. Heck, can't these guys curse, slam a fist on the deck and just jumpkick the pedal in anger...? I paint a rhetorical picture, in the hope to deliver what I am after. There is a very signficant difference between the AIs in AC1 and RR. And I want ACC's AI to get infested a bit by RR's AI's passion, in this regard. A good dose of angry temper.

I want an AI with a >healthy< load of grumpiness and bad mood, and no paramount fear to trade paint samples between cars. Not exaggerating, no car shoot-offs, no suicidal collisions, and instead a damn good situational awaress, yes - but no shyness of getting close and dirty within a certain limit. Hell, this is no convoy driving, no formation trekking, this is touring car racing. Ever saw a DTM race, how they come to terms in there at times?! Badda-bangbangbang!

Teach the AI a bit of bad temper and angry behaviour. Wrong time for gently stroking every roe deer standing at the trackside.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
  12. J4yR3yn0ld5

J4yR3yn0ld5 Rookie

97 I believe.

Nesja likes this.
  13. BEsnake

BEsnake Racer

They do act weirdly ive had multiple cars change pace by alot once there overtaken (mid race not early) and with 97% ai im in a stupid gap for 10th place. While 12th is miles behind me 10th seems to be miles infront