1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

AI - historic and modern day

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by jajp999, May 2, 2016.

1. jajp999

jajp999 Gamer

I think the AI in AC since the 1.5 update is probably the best in a modern sim.

Being an old git I have been playing sims for more years than I care to remember (or probably can remember).... But I seem to recall GP3's AI as being fantastic and a recollection of having great battles against the AI in GPL.

My question is...... Is this just looking back at the good old times with rose tinted glasses and that historic AI was rubbish by today's standards or are we still struggling with today's sims as far as AI is concerned (although I'm very happy with AC AI in v1.5)

Intrigued in others memories of the good old days

pigsy and Horus like this.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    Suggestions Add Goodwood track as modern track for all historic cars Aug 3, 2016
    Online Leagues / Championships room Historical Formula 3 challenge 2022 Mar 30, 2022
    Online Leagues / Championships room [Assetto Corsa ]Historic Master Cars 2022. Feb 28, 2022
    Online Leagues / Championships room Assetto Corsa "Historic GT Championship 2022." Dec 12, 2021
    Online Leagues / Championships room [Assetto Corsa] Historic Endurance Championship 2021 Jan 18, 2021
    ACC Online Leagues / Championships room RaceConnect.com Historic Series Nov 6, 2020
    Online Leagues / Championships room FIA masters Historic Championship Oct 5, 2020
    Online Leagues / Championships room HISTORIC SIX HOURS OF SPA CLASSIC 2020 May 10, 2020
    Online Leagues / Championships room Historic Racing League (HRL) - Emulating Formula 1 history Jun 30, 2019
    Online Leagues / Championships room 4communities.de - Historic Team Endurance Event - 12H - Watkins Glen - Group C and 90s Touring Cars Jul 2, 2018
    Screens & Videos DRM Revival Mod - Carma FF @ Historic Monza Apr 6, 2018
    Online Leagues / Championships room [Motori nella Leggenda] F.3 Historics championship. Jan 1, 2018
    Online Leagues / Championships room [AC]Virtual Historic F.3 European Trophy. Nov 23, 2017
    Chit Chat Room Proper traction settings for historic tracks? Oct 27, 2017
    Chit Chat Room Historic Zandvoort ! Sep 26, 2017

3. Personally, I don't like the way that the cars stick to two lines on the extreme outer edges of the track through the first few corners. It's way too easy to gain huge numbers of places by steaming down the middle. In addition, I noticed something today after three short 5 lap races @ Vallelunga Club in the three versions of the Fiat Abarth 595SS (98% default setting). The two standard versions seemed to be OK as far as performance is concerned, but the AI versions of the S2 were pathetic. I started in last place with 24 cars on the grid, took the lead less than halfway through lap 2, and won the race by 31.5 seconds! I don't know if it was a glitch or not, but there was clearly something seriously wrong with the performance of the AI cars in that race....

Andy-R likes this.
  4. kakusso

kakusso Hardcore Simmer

The AI in GP3 was very good, It was fun to watch them slip-streaming my car to pass. Also the AI cars had variable levels of performance across the race some were slightly faster for some laps, then slightly slower. That's the reason I enjoyed watching AI races, lot's of overtaking between them.
    In AC the AI also slip-streams but sometimes it lifts off for a microsecond when pulling alongside, also they don't seem to do it so intentionally as in GP3.
    Amazing what they did in a game that could be placed in a couple of 1.44MB Floppy disks.
    It even had telemetry.

Last edited: May 3, 2016
    pigsy likes this.
  5. Patrik Marek

Patrik Marek Alien

maybe it's a track thing, but they don't perform all that well on Brands Hatch if there is a slow car up front.
    still needs some tweaking I suppose

I personally don't race AI in AC all that much, becasue to the way I'm driving, they don't react all that well, which is a shame,
    I would wished they
    - would have more awareness of people around, not only on their line
    - they would be able to go outside of their line / even track in order to prevent collision (like real drivers would do)
    - they would do better job at overtaking slower cars ( as highlighted by the video)
    - "protect" the overtakes where they drive in 2 lines and if player is faster car with better grip, he can easily drive in the middle

after all, it doesn't' matter if it's fault of player and not AI, if the collision could have been avoided

6. Fat Rich

Fat Rich Hardcore Simmer

My memories of GP2/ GP3 /GP4 was that the AI worked so well you didn't even notice them. Their only weak point was at race starts where they'd all line up and wait for space allowing human players to pick their way through and join the head of the queue.

I still race GPL regularly and the AI is mostly excellent and pretty scary, generally after a race I need a stiff drink and a lie down :) .... something no other sim seems to be able to do. It really helps that the different drivers are so distinctive and and recognisable, it really gives a feeling of racing different personalities. For example I had a race where I held Graham Hill up and he only tried to overtake in sensible places, eventually I made a mistake and he got past. I tried the same blocking on John Surtees who was next in line and he just barged past at the first opportunity :D. The AI are generally pretty aggressive at the starts making it difficult to gain places, and in championship mode the title contenders will drive differently towards the end of a season than they did at the start of the season, which is really cool. Having said all that, when the AI does something stupid it's usually breathtakingly dumb..... generally going into and out of the pits is problematic as it switches from it's pitting path to it's racing path, also if a car gets a mechanical failure it can cause massive pile ups. Plus the cars don't always move realistically and sometimes slide sideways in an ugly crablike movement.

rF2 and GSCE / AMS have solid AI but somehow lack excitement, it feels like I'm racing AI even though it doesn't actually do much wrong. Project Cars the AI seem to have no awareness and will crash into me even when I'm fully alongside and making a clean pass, plus it'll overtake on the grass, cutting corners and all sorts of other nonsense.

AC now has a really solid AI and a great foundation to build on, 1.5 is a big improvement. It still tends to go to the extreme edges of the track when running alongside another car which costs it a lot of time, and it's too easy to intimidate them by divebombing them, they'll always move and give up the corner whereas in GPL they'll just take their line and crash you out unless you're fully alongside.

If Stefano can fix these things, plus get the AI using the cut back when a player outbrakes themselves, using the slipstream, handling lapped traffic and slower cars from different classes.... AC will have one of the best AIs ever. It'll probably take years of development and some trial and error as it's probably the most difficult thing to achieve in racing games. I still think AC needs a hardcore mode where the AI won't stand any nonsense, and an easier mode that won't put off the casual players... but that means infinitely more variables for Kunos to test and fix :eek:

7. Andy-R

Andy-R Alien

yep ive noticed similar. certain cars are really far off pace. the 595ss s2 and nissan gtr are the worst ive seen so far. I dont like how the ai refuse to overtake each other now. they seem more keen to overtake the player than other ai. mod track I know but longford is a good example. if an ai goes to exit the pit and another is coming passed they both completely stop and exit to pits, when I had the same situation but with me instead of an ai the ai car did come passed (after slowing down alot.)

8. ouvert

ouvert Alien

oh, they added formation lap ? :):rolleyes:

Patrik Marek likes this.
  9. Quffy

Quffy Alien

It will depend on some things. Creating real life like AI is a hard job, and for different type of cars/tracks; I'm assuming this because several older and modern sims are still troubling this. And then whatever work was done 15 years ago, it didn't carry over to a new developer team; they had to start from scratch. If the GP3 devs continued making sims, then their work would maybe get better, but they stopped making sims, so their work froze in time.
    AC's AI basically started in 2013/14. Imagining that AC was released 10-15 years ago, now in 2016 the quality of AI could be better. I'm not saying we need to wait 10-15 years from now to have good AI in AC, it all depends on the amount of time Kunos can dedicate to AI.

What Kunos posted in the other thread some time ago is a good indication of the perceived problems in AI operation. And this tells me the improvements didn't stagnate.

Mogster likes this.
  10. Mogster

Mogster Alien

I set up road car track day scenarios, they work pretty well now considering the wide performance gaps. I agree about the big gap between the cars at the start, that's also been present in other sims though.

Allowing total multi class AI on the same track makes things much harder AI wise, so many combos to test. The console version is going to limit AI choice to defined classes irc, that's probably a good idea. Do many people want to race modern race cars against 60s road cars??? Really???

11. Fat Rich

Fat Rich Hardcore Simmer

Exactly this, GP2 /3 /4 had one physics model and approx 16 tracks to test the AI on. GPL had 5 physics models and 11 tracks to test them on, plus it was built on the highly developed Papyrus AI used in other games for a few years. Neither were officially moddable so the developers only had to focus on their own content, no thought was given to modders.

AC has 100+ cars and 15+ tracks, plus it's moddable so the AI has to work on tracks Kunos have no control over, plus has to be easy (ish) for modders to get the AI behaving right. A much bigger challenge.

eXo and Mogster like this.
  12. ouvert

ouvert Alien

yep you are right .. AC being under constant developement makes it more complicated .. if we isolate ourself from devs and overlook fact that we are fans following AC developement for few years obvious than answer is: hire more testers ... not that simple I guess .. or is it ... it was much simplier in EA phase where we partialy supplement the testers

13. Fat Rich

Fat Rich Hardcore Simmer

Forgot to mention, in AC the AI uses the same physics as us, every time they adjust the physics the AI have to be retested and fixed :eek:

Older sims didn't use the real physics, they just followed a racing line at a predetermined speed and had some lines to define track limits, overtakes and pit entry. Change the physics and the AI are unaffected although they may start to look unrealistic :D

Mogster likes this.
  14. ouvert

ouvert Alien

in most other sims they use simplified physics, with altered grip, etc to ballance AIs performance, so by changes to physics AI is less influenced .. it is just different apporaches ... Stephano somewhere explained why he prefers ACs way .. hard to say which one is better .. if the result is good I don`t think I care ...

15. Stereo

Stereo Alien

It's allowed but not supported, the AI will assume other drivers have the same car as they do. So for example there's no code for "being passed as a lower-class car", or inversely "passing a lower-class car", the AI will wait for an opportunity where two equally matched cars can go side by side.

Letting you combine any car is more so you can add more cars of the same class (eg. the modded GT3 camaro + bentley can run with stock content GT3s), on the console they don't need to support 3rd party mods.

16. Gevatter

Gevatter Alien

Is the AI dependent on the mod? I mean, are there parameters in a mod car that influence or even determine AI behavior of the mod? Following that, could it be possible to get worse AI performance out of an mod AI car compared to stock content?

17. aphidgod

aphidgod Alien

Yes, there are AI settings unique to each car. (ai.ini) And you do have to tune it a bit, suboptimal settings will net you poor and/or unrealistic driving.