1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties.
    Dismiss Notice

AI in Multiplayer

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by Auranapse, Feb 22, 2018.

1. Auranapse

Auranapse Racer

I wonder if we would be able to add AI to multiplayer races. This would be such a great addition for people with a few friends who would want to race a full grid and mess around without needing to join a huge lobby. I really hope it would be in ACC or at least in future AC products.

Either way, still really excited and can't wait for ACC! Great work by the devs, the game looks amazing.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Troubleshooting Multiplayer game crash while browsing the session menu tab Today at 8:38 PM
    ACC Troubleshooting Cannot play multiplayer Yesterday at 9:32 PM
    ACC Troubleshooting Game crash when loading a multiplayer game Yesterday at 5:31 PM
    ACC Troubleshooting Fatal error Multiplayer Yesterday at 5:03 PM
    ACC Troubleshooting Fatal Error 0.3.3 Multiplayer Yesterday at 2:36 PM
    ACC Audio Menu music keeps playing during multiplayer sessions Yesterday at 1:53 PM
    ACC Troubleshooting Multiplayer game freeze and crash during online gameplay Saturday at 7:48 PM
    ACC Troubleshooting [v0.3.1] Multiplayer crash Saturday at 4:57 PM
    ACC Multiplayer Filtering servers in multiplayer screen Friday at 9:58 AM
    ACC Multiplayer Multiplayer M6 grip Friday at 9:11 AM
    ACC Multiplayer could not enter multiplayer Friday at 12:03 AM
    ACC Troubleshooting Crash in multiplayer Thursday at 10:00 PM
    ACC Multiplayer General multiplayer feedback Thursday at 5:35 PM
    ACC Multiplayer Fatal Error during Multiplayer session Wednesday at 10:32 PM
    ACC Multiplayer Fatal Error in multiplayer Wednesday at 10:28 PM

3. Gunja

Gunja Alien

I didn't do rFactor2 but in rF1 you could do this and it was great way to populate the server.
    You could set it so that when a client joins, one ai gets kicked. Admins could also add and remove ai on the fly without restarting.
    For example you put 5 ai cars and 1st joiner has something to do while waiting for human players to join. When 2nd player joins, one ai gets booted and so on.
    Players could also manually vote to kick ai.

SlimCharles and Schnipp like this.
  4. Thomas Gocke

Thomas Gocke Alien

Oh yes, that would be a much wanted new feature for me, I hope it will be possible.
    If the server keeps as it is, the clients would need to calculate the AI, but why not.

5. WallyM

WallyM Alien

I think most people race online to get away from the AI ;)

6. bigbawmcgraw

bigbawmcgraw Alien

Race07 had this feature too and it wasn't popular. It was used to trick people into thinking the server was well populated but when people joined and realised it was populated with AI they quickly left again.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

7. Thomas Gocke

Thomas Gocke Alien

I agree, AI should not be counted in server browser player count. The feature still could help populate the server, because you can race the AI while waiting for more players. But in the end I personally would want this feature mostly for LAN play anyway.
    After joining it should be obvious who is human and who is AI in the leaderboard, and at best also in the player label while on track. And of course it should be a server option if AIs are allowed or not, and probably servers with AI should not be counting towards the ranking systems.
    And now we made the feature sound complicated ;)

8. Pulley

Pulley Simracer

To get a round that simply have server information like this:
    6 (8)

The number in Brackets denotes AI, the former number is Humans, job done :)

Or for those that need explanations:
    Humans on Server 6, AI on Server 8

mESCx likes this.
  9. Mudguts

Mudguts Rookie

I'd be very happy to see this included in ACC.

Been hoping for an AC update like this since the AI got patched.

10. Schnipp

Schnipp Alien

This sounds like a good idea, but knowing about about how the servers in AC are working this might be more complicated then you initially think.

Currently an AC server pretty much does only checksum comparisions for cars and tracks to not allow ppl. with modded game files to enter a server. Besides that it handles (optional) plugin ans of course receives, processes and sends the necessary data of the clients, which isn't much demanding on the hardware and also only a very low amount of actual game data is necessary.

Using AI in multiplayer would need someone to run the necessary calculations and AI is quite demanding with all it's physics calculations.
    Sure, you could have the option to have AI run by a client, but that can cause lags. What would happen if the player leaves?

So it should be run on the server, but that would mean a lot more data to be installed on the server (all relevant pyhsics data of cars and tracks) along with a lot higher demand on processing power of the server's cpu.
    Sure, it's all possible, but this would probably be more expensive to run a (rented) server with AI as the server hosters would need to allow for more HDD/SSD capacity and higher CPU demand.

Just to be clear: I would welcome this feature to MP, I'm only mentioning possible issues that need to be considered.

SlimCharles and Gunja like this.
  11. Naer

Naer Gamer

[​IMG]

Whipdiddywhip and rycil like this.
  12. Auranapse

Auranapse Racer

Yep, that would be a downside, and I agree that it's not easy getting AI to work in multiplayer that is not server handled. Especially in a game in AC, where the AI isn't on rails and are actually driving the car and getting affected by the same physics of the players. While it isn't a priority it would be great fun.

Schnipp likes this.
  13. Personally, I love the idea and I am at a complete loss as to why anyone should be against this "Icing on the cake" feature.... BEFORE YOU STOP READING THIS, PLEASE HEAR ME OUT. i PROMISE THAT YOU WILL BE ALOT MORE PRO THE IDEA, EVEN AFTER THE FIRST COMMENT I MAKE!!!!

Right, so for everyone who just do not want it at all. Simple solution for you guys is to have an option for the server creator to allow ai to be simply turned off., No ai on your server, problem solved.

I've loved AC from day 1. Should be no question how good it really is because car handling is the best out there.

The mod-ability of AC is the best handled system I have ever seen. So yes I'm sad to hear this will not be in ACC, but as a programmer myself, and having had titles relisted in stores, I completely respect and understand this. Also, who's to say it might be added later.

Saying this, I probably spend more of my time playing pCars and now pCars 2 and rFactor 2. So the question is WHY.

The answer is simple. Those 'games' allow me to fill the grid with ai cars. Why is this ai online so high up on my list that I would choose a far less realistic handling game over AC

Simply because I'm not part of any online league, partly because I';m disabled, use a joystick with my chin and cannot race without automatic shifting on (there's only so much you can do with one chin, lol!!:). Also, me and my brother get alot of fun racing each other with having a full grid. Two cars on track really is more boring than watching paint dry haha....

So that's it really, and I'm not riding the disability wagon, its simply that there has to be enough people like me and my Bro who maybe know one or two people and enjoy racing each other with a full grid.

By the way Kunos. Well done for everything so far. Also, I am a post graduate with a first class honours degree in computer modding and animation. I will soon find myself having loads more free time. I have thought up a unique system for implementing a far more immersive experience for tracks in AC. It's a never seen before method that will take AC to a whole new level of realism. Please reply to this if you are interested to hear more then we can talk privately, as I'm sure you can understand my wish to keep it quiet until I release some tracks using this system for AC. It is really one of those so simple things to implement that people will ask themselves, why have I not seen this before..

Richard Lovett
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OS: Windows 10 Home| Mobo: Asus RoG CROSSHAIR IV FORMULA AM3 AND 890FX DDR3 ATX | CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1100T, 3311 MHz | CPU Cooler: Standard fan that came with CPU | Memory: 16GB (4x4GB) Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz CL9 XMP Graphics: GeForce GTX 790 4GB PCI-Express HDMI EX OC (Forceware Version) 347.52 | Display: 19"x3 Acer AL1916W 1440x900 @ 60Hz | Sound: Creative Sound Blaster X-FI Xtreme Gamer 6.1 Surround | Joystick: Logitech Attack 3 GMX: Triplehead2go Digital Edition (Firmware) 2.3.50 (Powerdesk Version) 1.11.0001.0511.2.07.01

MAD MICK, Meretrix, mESCx and 2 others like this.
  14. St3fan

St3fan Alien

I understand your needs for online AI and I'm sure it may work great for small lobby racing between friends. But my experience with online AI in rf2 on open servers has been very disappointing. Sometimes their pace is way off compared to human drivers, sometimes their aggression setting is way too high for fun between friends or way too low for competitive racing, and in general it just feels wrong. It is very often that I see an RF2 server with lots of players on it, hop on it, only to receive no response from any of the drivers cuz they are all AIs. This is not the experience I look for when I click on the multiplayer button.

If I see a ghost town, I'll just leave and avoid; but it can be really scary and disappointing when a ghost town lures me into entering, then shows me no lifeness.

I think is might be one of the reasons why I find the experience underwhelming: the AI settings do not adapt when different people join the group. Their performance and driving is stagnant and feels dead.

Here is the thing: you really don't need to be competitive to have fun in online races, and you really don't need to commit to a league to have fun online in AC. While in some cases only two cars fighting each other on the grid could be boring on a track, it is often great fun with merely a few cars on touge servers or track day servers. There are many things you can do in AC already, without having AIs faking a large grid.

With that being said, considering ACC is the official Blancpain series game, I do wish to see something like a co-op career mode.

15. Mudguts

Mudguts Rookie

Hey Richard, I think exactly the same way for the same reasons.

I mainly play AC with my brother and Dad, we all live many hours apart and its a way to catch up each week. We've been doing it for years and moved from rFactor to AC. In rFactor we would throw in a handful of AI to flesh out the grid, as we are all around the same pace its pretty easy to tweak the AI to do similar laptimes. Our server is usually locked, so doesn't affect anyone else in any way!

I also play with my son who's 8 and needs some aids on, so we make our own server, would love to add a spread of AI in that case too.

Would definitely be the icing on the cake for me.

MAD MICK and McKiernan like this.
  16. Exactly Mudguts. We too only ever create password sessions in both, but mainly pCars 2, so that nobody else can come in, and to be honest, once you've played around with the ai settings and got them on a par with you, racing with my bro and a topped up grid of ai is so much fun.

Does not need to be on public servers which is again why, if the dev team have the time, I honestly think it would attract a whole new group of like minded people like us, which would only increase the sales for Kunos.

So for me, the only factor why it should not be an option is development time related.

I would gladly say goodbye to pCars 2 and make ACC my main simulator if that were the case rather than just using AC/ACC as just my offline sim..

MAD MICK likes this.
  17. Either way, can't wait. looks amazing....

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
  18. Berniyh

Berniyh Alien

Even if they implement it, most servers wouldn't run the AI, because the server would be so much more expensive.
    So I don't think it's worth it.

19. Saturn5

Saturn5 Rookie

I would love the AI option as well. Would make it very cool!!! I would love this.

MAD MICK likes this.
  20. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Alien

People who do not want AI on online server only need to set the server that way, not an issue
    I would like the ability to set server with AI, if it was possible I would be online much more as opposed to hardly ever. I suspect there are a lot more like me.
    All the Die Hard online players always complaining there is not enough happening online should think about that.
    It would also encourage diversity as when you set a server with different than usual content one could at least race the AI waiting for other players to join. Although not an issue with ACC since we all going to have the same cars.

MAD MICK and Mudguts like this.