1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

AI Speed In Damp Conditions

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by James P, May 26, 2019.

1. James P

James P Simracer

I have encountered this a few times and so I thought I would ask the forum to see if anyone else has faced the same thing or it is just me?

I am by no means an alien but I am competent on ACC and consider myself a good pedaller.

In damp conditions when a dry race and track turns to a wet track partially into a race I seem to really struggle against the AI on slick tyres in that phase where it is damp and the track temperature cools off. Whilst I am fighting my car on cold slicks as the rain starts to fall on a track surface which is getting wet after a dry start, the AI seem to be able to run rings around me and don't seem to suffer the same drop off in tyre performance or temperature.

I did a race on Paul Ricard last night and 10 minutes in it started to rain. I had enough in the slicks to do 2 laps before they were stone cold and I was struggling with the water and puddles starting to build up on the track. In those 2 laps I went from race leading pace to running 2 seconds slower than the AI. They just didn't seem to get affected by the change in conditions and drove round on their slicks like it was still dry.

To my amazement, after I pitted for wets, they all stayed out on dry tyres and had crazy speed, even with the track wet enough to produce spray.

I have been trying to work it out as in a wet race from the start, with both me and the AI on wet tyres I have good pace, but it just seems to be that phase of a race where the track is damp and the slicks get really cold where the AI seems to have a superhuman ability to carry on going at a speed I can't physically do.

I have watched the replay of that race and as the track got wet they just didn't seem affected by the puddles or standing water on the track with their slicks and trooped through it.

Has anyone else encountered this? I have tried fiddling with setups and have given up trying to find a solution. As soon as my slicks get cold and lose pressure it's time to stop for wets but the AI just don't seem to suffer from it in the same way.

Any advice would be welcome.

swannyuk likes this.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Troubleshooting GPU full load and fans at full speed Mar 2, 2024
    GUI - HUDs - Apps Bugs & Issues How to disable the excessive speed alert in turns Nov 17, 2023
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars Tire rotation visuals at slow speeds be like Jul 17, 2023
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Ferrari 296GT3 / suddenly extreme topspeed. Jul 2, 2023
    GUI - HUDs - Apps Bugs & Issues ACC 1.9 replay speed bug Apr 21, 2023
    Chit Chat Room Speed Hacker Spotted Disappointed Nov 9, 2022
    ACC Gameplay Tyre Wear Resets after speeding in pit Sep 13, 2022
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Speed Limit Aug 29, 2022
    Physics Bugs & Issues Real speed for Spa and Porsche, also every other Track and Car Jul 30, 2022
    Chit Chat Room Speedrunning Career Mode TA, weird points system Jul 14, 2022
    ACC Gameplay Career mode - auto DQ for speeding in pit lane Jul 5, 2022
    ACC Physics Audi Evo II pit limiter speed Jul 4, 2022
    ACC Controls & Peripherals G29 24/7 input when at low speed Jun 4, 2022
    ACC Gameplay Replay speed issue Mar 29, 2022
    Programming Language - Apps - GUI Themes Speed max Nov 21, 2021

3. Axel Vogelsang

Axel Vogelsang Simracer

4. fsuarez79

fsuarez79 Simracer

Yep, call it damp or wet, the AI is unrealistically fast and unaffected by water.
    My advise is wait until the 29th and test v1.0 to see if they already did something about it, if not, let's keep reporting it until Kunos fix it

5. AI pace has been recalibrated for v1.0 , they were too fast indeed.

6. henkjansmits

henkjansmits Simracer

In my (slightly/very uninformed) view the AI in ACC is unrealistic and is sort of "on rails", like in some other sims. They make miraculous recoveries, don't make realistic mistakes, are slow at very predetermined track sections and I suspect don't drive according to player physics rules (see this rain thing). So I wouldnt bother with all sorts of elaborate comparisons on AI pace, rain capabilities etc., until the approach to the physics rules for AI changes. Drive with other people (if you can I know it's tricky in some regions or with bad internet)! *Ducks*

7. jaxx_za

jaxx_za Hardcore Simmer

This is a good video on how AC AI has been developed - gives a good idea of the complexities involved:

To have the AI drive as humans would, you would probably need to have a dedicate machine sitting next to your PC, equipped with Nvidia's Tensor core AI chip, running machine learning algorithms to learn how to drive a car (as a human would).

8. Axel Vogelsang

Axel Vogelsang Simracer

TBH the AI is - with some exceptions - really exciting for me.

Some slight adjustments to be made:
    - a more humanlike pace in the wet (confirmed by the Lord)
    - a bit more disciplined/compliant behaviour here and there (T1 @ Monza / Ford-Kurve @ N-Ring e.g.)
    - a more humanlike behavior at the start when the lights are not visible somewhere back in the grid
    - and maybe some well dispensed intentional mistakes
    - increase of AI pace @ Zolder

Two days left, mates...we'll see!:D

PiretSS2000, fsuarez79 and James P like this.
  9. trutya

trutya Simracer

- increase AI pace at Hungaroring (only T2)
    - AI drivers talents needs some fine-tuning here and there
    anyway, i agree very much.
    at Hungaroring it's a bit of easy to pass in T2. from inside, from outside, when i'm close behind an AI car i'm able to either outbrake from inside or going around from the outside.
    but all in all, it's really good fun to fight against AI ;)

PiretSS2000 and fsuarez79 like this.
  10. Axel Vogelsang

Axel Vogelsang Simracer

Totally agree. T2 @ Hungaroring is another issue.
    I hope for wider margins in the wet as well.

trutya and PiretSS2000 like this.
  11. James P

James P Simracer

Thank you for the answers guys. Glad it is a known issue then and not just me.... phewww!

For me what is going to make this sim exceptional is the AI behaviour in conditions like that, where everyone is having to tippy toe on a damp track on slicks. With it being refined in V1 I can't wait to try it out.

I agree with you guys that generally the AI is very good to race against. It does have some odd moments occasionally where they will drive in to the side of you, but on the whole they put up a good fight on 100% skill level and are a challenge. At the end of the day the objective is to make them believable which with some fine tuning they definitely will be.

PiretSS2000 likes this.
  12. trutya

trutya Simracer

to be honest, i trust in AI much more than in random drivers on the servers... i had several issues because i did get used too much to how AI drives here and there, and i don't expect so early braking points from some people, for example.
    when you just jump in a server and you don't know the people (like in a league race) you don't know what to expect.
    so these kind of incidents are mostly my faults, sadly - and i don't want to blame others with that... (apart from for example i'm already side by side with somebody who1s slower or just recovering or something, and he ignores me)...complete matchmaking will help in it hopefully.

anyway, 2 days left ;)