1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Am i at a huge disadvantage with my fov?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Conure, Apr 10, 2015.

1. witoldinho

witoldinho Racer

If virtual mirror is not sufficent (and it often won't with such low FOV) there's helicorsa. Radar-like app. Very handy for all FOVs.

2. Quffy

Quffy Alien

Using single screen 1792x1344@60hz, this is how the fov look to me, see below under spoilers. Of course in a video you could see better while driving than screenshots, but for me too low fov is impossible. I can't see the corners I'm taking, the speed sensation doing 250km in the straight is as fast as I'd be walking on the side. My goal is to emulate the field of view of the eyes/triple screen/oculus, into one monitor. So I need to use high fov to get the same vision feeling.
    ps. I didn't disable the steering wheel, but I know I'd need to if using low-medium fov.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Patrik Marek

Patrik Marek Alien

70 fov would be great for my 50" TV, if I was sitting right in front of it

4. Quffy

Quffy Alien

To get the idea of what I'm trying to explain for my situation using 27 fov, would be like trying to walk and looking through a photo camera all zoomed in, without the ability to look outside of that zoomed in screen. Would be a rough walk. :)

5. witoldinho

witoldinho Racer

Well, good luck.

It sure has shortcomings. I rely on track memorization in that matter.

Try to forget the numbers for a moment. I drive with speedo off (cause I am able to feel the car), but believe me, when I am tackling schwedenkrauz or Ballof-S near the limit in an old car it sends the butterflies flying just allright.

When you are on freeway trip you don't keep saying to yourself "gee, 200 kph, how crazy is that" for hours. Speed is relative.

I am not saying "me right, you wrong". Just giving counter-perspective.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
  6. Stereo

Stereo Alien

Its main advantage, to me, is that you get slower perceived speed. The way I see it, a racing driver should always want to perceive traveling as slowly as possible - if you are going half as fast, you can react to the same events twice as accurately. You can see the brake marker coming up to you, it's moving so slowly that you can hit the pedal at the exact right instant. You can see the apex, where the corner starts to curve inward, your car's slowly towards moving towards it... you have time to adjust your course and hit it perfectly. Why would you want it to seem faster?

highest possible sense of speed is an arcade thing. There's a reason all the NFS cars do exaggerated top speeds (well, in the ones I played), have huge motion blur, wide fov - people like to feel they're going fast. But you don't need to feel fast to win, you need to be fast...

witoldinho and Patrik Marek like this.
  7. esox71

esox71 Alien

Wonder what FOV most of the top times on RSR are using?

8. Quffy

Quffy Alien

You can see in the Info button, put mouse over to see several details.

9. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Alien

First, if your are happy with those settings, good for you and enjoy it.
    Out of curiosity how far are your eyes from your screen?
    In any case with a single 20 inch screen, you have to compromise, proper calculated FOV will not work. Still 70 is extremely wide for that screen size and you must have a special ability to convince yourself you are driving a car and not playing a computer game.

10. Quffy

Quffy Alien

I think around 1.50m between eyes and monitor, when going into driving position.

11. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Alien

That is about 60 inch, you are definitely enjoying a SIM experience that is outside trying any calculated FOV. I hope for you that one day you will be able to experience AC on a bigger single screen or triple at about 24 inch from your eyes with calculated FOV, it will change your SIM world for the better. I know it did for me when I have been able to sit close enough to a decent screen size to use a calculated FOV. To me it is the most important aspect for driving sensation and immersion. Revisiting older title with proper FOV is also very entertaining as well.

12. Enforcer-J

Enforcer-J Racer

Just deive in bonnet cam! :) my cockpit is my desk and wheel amd the screen is my windscreen

offcorsa likes this.
  13. ouvert

ouvert Alien

Not in disadvantage just wrong in terms of dimension, perspective and proportions.. With higher FOV you clearly have more sensation of speed but you are driving through corners that are flattened by unnatural perspective so sharp chicane looks like little curves on straight road, roads are wide, tracks lose their character and becomes flat and boring.. It kind of take away reality of driving... On small single screen set far from your eyes i would go for something in the middle of what is comfortable for you and what was calculated... Well actually i would move screen closer and set fov to something like 35... Another thing is that your brain will easily adapt to lower fov after while and you'll lose that weird driving through tunnel feeling.. And hey it is a game - as long as you're having fun you're doing it right!

14. PhenOm

PhenOm Alien

Get something that feels comfortable to you.
    Using a 24" myself and my fov is around 48° (give or take 2°).

15. Vital-Blurs

Vital-Blurs Gamer

I've tried multiple FoV calculators and received different results (I'm guessing some were horizontal fov and others vertical.....I'm not even sure which AC uses)

These days I just leave the FoV as default (56°) then I just scoot the seat forward a fair way.

16. This is all going to end in tears.....

17. APC900

APC900 Simracer

I've got a 24" panel which sits about 4.0 feet away. I typically use between 39-42 degrees.
    That's where (for me)...I find the view most 'believeable'.
    I don't use a calculator...just a reference to what I see in my road car, then drop it down two 'clicks'.
    The rest of the adjustments I do with pitch settings, depending on what car I'm driving.

18. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Alien

Most people would place a 24 inch screen right behind the wheel, that would give you a distance from your eyes to the screen of 24 to 28 inch.
    Are you saying that using the same FOV value in both case, you find it more immersive sitting 4 feet away than 24 inch?

19. Enforcer-J

Enforcer-J Racer

I refuse to believe that is anything but a troll post.

esox71 likes this.
  20. liakjim

liakjim Alien

I destroyed all of my personal bests when I moved to correct FOV . I am talking to even 2 sec in an imola lap which is massive (same thing happened when I started driving with vsync-off).

Mogster likes this.