1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Am i at a huge disadvantage with my fov?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Conure, Apr 10, 2015.

1. esox71

esox71 Alien

Just out of curiosity dude, how long are your arms :D

I also like how everyone is giving their values without ramming it down your throat:)

2. APC900

APC900 Simracer

I emphasized (for me) for a reason.
    I have several movies detailing my view.
    My view obviously is not your view...and that's okay.

3. esox71

esox71 Alien

I was referring to the distance from the monitor behind your wheel to your eyes...24" :confused:

4. Enforcer-J

Enforcer-J Racer

Yep it's fine if it works for you. :) I dont sit 4 feet back from my car window which is probably 5x the size of my 24" monitor so I just stuggle to see how you find it better for immersion.

5. gheeDi

gheeDi Racer

Short answer: You are at a disadvantage. Higher FOV can feel great to you, and many people will say to stick with it. Which can be true, perhaps you want to stick with what feels good to you (that means you are used to it, not that its good FOV). But higher FOV is not more accurate, and you will be at a disadvantage. It will take time to get used to, but it will also be worth it.

Think of your screen not as your POV, but as a window into the car. With correct FOV, it will be a window into the virtual world, where you can judge the distances to the other car accurately, how to take corners in the right angle and so on. It will improve your racing, once you get used to it.

6. Unless you are using a big single screen at a licking distance, you are always going to be in some sort of "disadvantage" with the FOV in comparison to those who use triples or VR.
    On the other hand, they are in disadvantage with the frame rate and have to put an extra coin or two to beef up their pc's.

Eternal trade off struggle of a sim gamer.

7. Am I at a disadvantage with a wide FOV?
    Am I at a disadvantage not using heel & toe?
    Am I at a disadvantage with a single monitor?

Maybe that's the case. We would all like to be faster, but the question is.....do we want to be faster by doing things that we don't really want to do? My answer to that is simple....

No, I don't.

8. gheeDi

gheeDi Racer

Yes it boils down to your priorities. Others might just want to feel like they are in the racecar, get the immersion of being there. For some (and me) its about the competition. What can I do within my limitations to increase my competitiveness while racing.

You see lower FOV as something you dont want to do. I see it as a inconvenience of virtual racing, which I'm willing to endure (endure as in get used to for first week at most, after that high fov is absolutely unplayable for me) for greater competitiveness which in turn increases my pleasure in racing sims.

It's all about what you look for in a racing sim. For me that answer is simple.

Christopher Low likes this.
  9. Skybird

Skybird Alien

Do not participate in that religious war. You have your own eyes to see, so why don't you trust them? Set FOV like you feel the relation between sense of speed and being able to see little details directly above the hood works best for you. I also often recommend to check how it works if you set FOV in cockpit to the same angle that hood camera provides. That'S my default, but in some cars I manually zoom in or out a bit when boarding.

FOV calculators, my goodness... Some people need a blueprint for just everything.

I know that debate from Virtual Pool 4 as well. And my reply is the same: don't bother with "precise" FOV calculation, but use your eyes and trust your feeling to like the settings you see - or not. If the latter: change them.

Keep it simple, guys.

mistery, Christopher Low and Quffy like this.
  10. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Alien

Yes it is, I agree with you at 200%. Nobody is wright or wrong here. We are just trying to help each other here with what we have found and experienced.
    I am glad to share what I have found that makes my simulation of driving a car in a computer closer to the real experience.
    Lucky for us, SIM provide a way to adjust the view we have, if we are close enough to a big enough screen, that will match 1 to 1 what we would see in similar circumstances in real life. to me, as far as immersion goes it is huge and I want as many people as possible to realize it. I played a long time without realizing this and now that I am enjoying it, it is too good not to be shared.
    The easiest way to adjust to match real life is the calculator, arcade title on consoles do not have a value you can enter to match real life, a SIM that does not have it, to me, is not a SIM, period. Without the calculator we would have to try back and forth and that if not impossible would be extremely time consuming.
    To me exact FOV, if you are close enough to a big enough screen, is more important immersion wise, than anything else, like fake signal from FFB wheel
    , a bezillion pixel resolution or fake animation on the side of the track, etc....
    To me the right distances, elevations, apex and overall perspective is what come first to have immersion, and I wish for every one to experience it.
    If you cannot sit close enough or your screen is too small, or both, the calculator is useless, you are back to try and errors until you find something you like, not the end of the world, nothing wrong whit it, I enjoyed SIM driving that way for years and was happy then.
    the OP asked, Am I at a huge disadvantage not using the calculated FOV? To me, if you are after immersion and/or more precise driving, the answer is unequivocally: Yes you are!
    If you are just after fun, then what ever floats your boat is fine.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
    witoldinho and Thomas Gocke like this.
  11. Quffy

Quffy Alien

Can I ask what screen setup and resolution you have, which fov and approximately how far between eyes and your monitor when in driving position. Ty.

12. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Alien

16:9 32 inch diagonal, 24 inch from from eyes to center of the screen.

http://www.projectimmersion.com/fov/index.php

Some of you might not be familiar with this video:

Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
    Tucker73 likes this.
  13. Quffy

Quffy Alien

Ok ty, so 36fov for your setup. For single screen 20" 4:3 and sitting more than one meter away the fov is too low (17), you can't have any car movement awareness, all is exaggerated. I'd need to move 51cm in front of the monitor to get at least 33fov. So like you and others also said, I need something to feel comfortable and something which won't block the car spatial awareness.

Cote Dazur likes this.
  14. Vital-Blurs

Vital-Blurs Gamer

So, does AC use vertical or horizontal FoV?

It's rather important to know as the difference in degrees is more than just a couple.

15. witoldinho

witoldinho Racer

Vertical.

16. 27" and 45 FOV. No wobbly camera effects and no arms/steering on screen (unless I need to steering for HUD, then it's fixed)

17. APC900

APC900 Simracer

People seem to be getting a bit confused here.
    FOV has nothing to do with how far your monitor is placed from your seating position.
    It has everything to do with where you place your virtual self, relative to the view outside the cockpit.
    The monitor could be a 'mile' away or in your lap.

18. PuffTheMagicBelgian

PuffTheMagicBelgian Hardcore Simmer

19. My FOV (based on a 19" monitor at 24 inches distance) is calculated to be 27 degrees. However, the field of view that I want is closer to what you see on a 50" screen.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2015
  20. Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari Racer

I have a 20" monitor, and my eye is 24" from the screen. Calculator says I should use an FOV 0f 22 which is ridiculous. I've settled on using 42 degrees. I won't drive if I can't see the mirrors, and with my settings I can't on a lot of cars. However, on the cars I drive I can see them fine which are Lotus 49, 312T, RUF, and Cobra. Yes, I like the old stuff that had no nannies to help me drive.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2015