1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Am i at a huge disadvantage with my fov?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Conure, Apr 10, 2015.

1. It's worth pointing out that I still can't see the internal rear view mirror in the Ferrari F40 with FOV @ 70 degrees!! :eek:

2. Quffy

Quffy Alien

Currently I'm driving with 65fov, but yea neither with 65 or 70 I can see the rear mirror in the F40. Moving backwards on the seat I don't like, but maybe you could use the virtual mirror F11, or press to look right and quickly take a look at the rear view mirror.

3. Oh, I do use the virtual mirror. I was just trying to make a point ;)

4. Ace Pumpkin

Ace Pumpkin Alien

I used to play at FOV 46, but after NS released I tried my correct one at 22. And all I can say is, despite a very limited windowed view, I never felt that immersed. Judging tracks width and opponent position by simply gut feeling works much better than having stretched, warped visuals. Never have guessed that before experiencing it. So give it a try.

witoldinho and victor86 like this.
  5. PuffTheMagicBelgian

PuffTheMagicBelgian Hardcore Simmer

6. The graphics do not look "stretched or warped" on my PC. They look perfectly fine.

7. witoldinho

witoldinho Racer

You wouldn' think so anymore after week with low fov, believe me.

Tucker73 likes this.
  8. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Alien

There seem to be some confusion about what distortion is.
    first a definition
    Perspective distortion : Wider FOVs introduce more perspective distortion into a image. The distortion is caused by projecting (spherical) optical geometry onto a flat screen.

and then some images. You might want to think of the electric outlet as the mirrors. with a better perspective no more electric outlet.

[​IMG]

and a video ( remember rfactor uses horizontal values, AC uses Vertical, refer to the calculator to see the difference)

9. MrPix

MrPix Racer

Slight faux pas, rFactor and rFactor 2 have an adjustable Vertical FOV just like AC, it is pCARS that uses Horizontal FOV. No offence. Great comparison with the pictures though man.. perfect explanation :)

10. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Alien

@MrPix Thank you for the precision/correction.:oops:

MrPix likes this.
  11. Tucker73

Tucker73 Hardcore Simmer

if your sim racing then it is important to have the correct field of view....if your sitting on the couch with a greasy pad drinking beer and eating cheeto's not so much...

MrPix likes this.
  12. MrPix

MrPix Racer

You know me well.. I love the maths ;)

Just putting together a PixTV episode on My (field of) View, BTW, maybe I'll post a link here if the OP wants me to?

Cote Dazur likes this.
  13. Stereo

Stereo Alien

You can also think of it as messing with your sense of direction. Straight ahead of you is fine, but if you're facing north, where is north-east? If your FOV's too wide, instead of being 45 degrees towards east, it gets bent towards north, so you see north-east at 15 degrees or whatever... which means you don't really know where anything is in relation to you. A 45 degree corner looks almost straight, another driver who's next to you looks like she's in front... you're having to compensate for all this stuff mentally the whole time you drive.

Cote Dazur, HONDAHOLIC and Tucker73 like this.
  14. Quffy

Quffy Alien

Just imagine yourself in a real car or sit in a real one if you can, then look straight ahead like you'd be driving. Try to think about how much you see to the sides, in front, how much of your arms you can see, and how much of the steering wheel you can see, while looking ahead in a driving position. Is that an actual field of view we should replicate in a sim racing game no matter the screen size of a single monitor?

15. witoldinho

witoldinho Racer

Obviously not. Just what you would see through monitor

Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
  16. plaid

plaid Alien

@Quffy
    Why argue? Do as you please. It isnt realistic to see just a small part of you real field of view, as the dissortion isnt realistic, even if someone people dont get it. I added 15 to my correct 31. Fine compromise.

Besides with a realistic FOV it just feels extremely lame, so a GT3 at 200 feels like driving a old truck or van at 50-100, while beeing drunk. If some still enjoy it or enjoy it even more, to each his own, I wouldnt want to get a Ferrari as a gift if it would feel like that in reality.

"But its correct!" yadda yadda yadda...

17. Quffy

Quffy Alien

I'm not arguing because "mad" or stuff like that, I'm discussing this to find out more about the reasoning of 'correct' fov in sim racing games. And to me, the values that come out of that calculator (for certain rig setup scenarios) are far off what you'd see/perceive in a real car.

18. plaid

plaid Alien

Yeah. But the conditions are totally different. If you reduce your FOV in reality like in a game with a singlescreen its pretty unpleasant.

Besides, a 2D screen, never is like a real 3dimensional environment. I read about people mentioning that playing with 3d-screens or Oculus, saying its a factor that changes the perception, so depth, speed etc..

The people are right when they mention the advantages, but that doenst necessarly mean its the right thing to choose for everyone.

19. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Alien

What you might need to do to better understand what the calculator does is to create a frame the size of your screen, sit in your car and place it at the distance from your eyes that your are siting from in your SIM setup.
    You will see why sitting closer is very important and why a screen has to be big enough for the calculator to make sense.
    Nobody wants to drive looking trough a hublot
    But if you have to compromise, to fit more into less, your view will be distorted. The less you compromise the better you end up.

20. witoldinho

witoldinho Racer

I envy your patiance. I gave up.