1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Anybody agree with me that VR is a huge advantage?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by rpm, Sep 5, 2017.

1. rpm

rpm Racer

I play with VR and from what I can tell it gives you a massive advantage and thus less fun to play as you are basically cheating.

What do you think?

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    Bug reports Anybody else having trouble with Steam's VR app? Jan 13, 2024
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Does anybody know where Fanatec stores its brake settings? Sep 15, 2023
    ACC Controls & Peripherals DDoes anybody know where Fanatec stores its brake settings? Sep 15, 2023
    Chit Chat Room Does anybody drive The Ridge? Jun 19, 2023
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Does anybody understand if ps4 will have 1.8 update??? Feb 23, 2022
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Anybody use Drive Hub on Series X Feb 9, 2021
    ACC Hardware Discussions Anybody using an i5-3470 Nov 29, 2020
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Anybody not having issues? Jun 24, 2020
    Chit Chat Room Anybody willing to share Audi driving experiences? Apr 25, 2020
    Chit Chat Room Anybody using Track Attack with Assetto Corsa? Jul 6, 2019
    Chit Chat Room Has anybody done a Summit Point mod? Apr 25, 2019
    ACC Multiplayer Can't play on multiplayer (Don't see anybody) Nov 25, 2018
    Chit Chat Room Anybody find dash cam easier? Jul 28, 2018
    PlayStation 4 Discussions Anybody knows what will be in the next patch ??? Sep 29, 2017
    Suggestions Anybody interested in more cars like the the MX-5 NA ? Mar 25, 2017

3. bondyboy

bondyboy Alien

No

OliW likes this.
  4. Turk

Turk Alien

I think that's nonsense. It gives you better immersion and I suppose in the land of the blind the one eyed man is king but VR is no magic bullet, sometimes it's harder in situations like going door to door with a car on your right and not seeing a car come alongside your left side. Things like that can be easier on a single screen because it's all in front of you when you use an app like helicorsa. In VR if I'm looking at a car on my right even helicorsa is out of view and someone can sneak up my left side and I won't know anything about it until I look left.

mms likes this.
  5. Tiago Fortuna

Tiago Fortuna Simracer

I can give you a personal example where using three screens in a TT I had to lose way too many laps to even get close to the time I wanted and changing the setup to even be able to drive the car consistently.

Switched to VR and with MY OWN setup I was spinning everywhere. Loaded the default and beat my time within 3 laps. I do take car into configuring triple screens properly.

Just saying. YMMV ofc

6. Guidofoc

Guidofoc Alien

Your post sounds like a smart advertisement for VR :D is it that good?

And following your principle of.. relativity, triple screens is cheating compared to single screen, good steering wheel is cheating compared to crappy steering wheel, steering wheel is cheating compared to controller, controller is cheating compared to mouse, mouse is cheating compared to keyboard, so only keyboard is not cheating :D we are doomed!

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
  7. Mike1304

Mike1304 Alien

Playing in VR is cheating???
    ???
    ??
    ?
    Aahhh, now I understand! You cheat your brain by thinking you're sitting in a real car although you only sit in front of your PC!
    :D:D:D;)

mms likes this.
  8. Tiago Fortuna

Tiago Fortuna Simracer

I value immersion over anything else (namely graphic quality). VR is just perfect for sim racing (and to play Future Pinbal... :ahem: :D )

I do recommend VR if one can afford it (it's not just the HMD... at least a gtx1060 is needed if you ask me). But the prices were recently lowered too :)

It is that good because of the perception. I keep getting fooled but the car wheels in particular and how "scary" it is to feel that even the arms are correctly placed. It's is "disorienting" to even drive and old H racing car where the 1st in 2nd gear place and you don't have that mapped your HW like that (in vr you do see the gear changes and the pedals animations if you look down).

The button placement... I keep trying to go for the buttons in the vwheel on the physical one... Or trying to cool down on the A/C vents (i don have USB fan btw :D ) just to feel my fan wind displacement coming from the wrong side. I don't need to tell you how it is driving right hand cars with shifters do I... Yes, you got it, my real shifter is never there... :D

You can adjust but jumping from car to car and when you start to get in the zone, even you're used to it you'll do a mistake or several :D at some point. It's ridiculous.

YMMV as usual.

9. esox71

esox71 Alien

OP...Rubbish!
    How many frames do you get with your gtx 660?

10. chakko

chakko Alien

Why would it be cheating if anyone playing on a 32" TV also has a massive "advantage", compared to someone playing on a 17" screen? ;) Eventually, most people will be on VR anyway, so, i don't really see an issue.

11. Tomcul

Tomcul Hardcore Simmer

How much faster did it make you? Can you beat all the top times on RSR?
    Running the weekly hot lap challenge in VR doesn't get me any higher up the board, there's still faster fellas running on monitors some even using control pads..
    VR is great though wouldn't be without it now..

12. Whipdiddywhip

Whipdiddywhip Simracer

i play in vr and i am slow

if its cheating then i must really suck normally then

13. Mogster

Mogster Alien

I do agree it's immersive and an advantage, it's also more realistic. I am faster in VR but things are relative and I've probably improved from slow to average...

But cheating... :rolleyes:

14. @rpm How does being faster make it less fun? Did you gain seconds per lap instantly when you switched? Not a cheat or an exploit just using what is available to enhance the experience.

15. St3fan

St3fan Alien

Yesterday I was playing LFS autocross in VR, and I am pretty sure that the collision detection between car and cones is a bit weird that when I'm certainly not touching the cones the games still counts as a penalty. Because when driving in VR I can be so much closer to the limit of the autocross course, it feels really hard not to touch the cones. So in this case I feel VR is a disadvantage :p

16. Chazz Ranger

Chazz Ranger Alien

VR with a laptop GTX660...? How's the slideshow? :eek:

17. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Alien

I believe VR made me faster, but not to a point of being a cheat, most driver that were faster than me before are still faster than me using VR.
    it is much much more immersive, it makes any SIM or racing game a better one and yes you will probably also drive faster, but buying it on that aspect alone, hoping to be as fast as the "fast guys", if you are not already, is not going to work.
    and what is better than VR? VR, DD wheel and motion!

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
  18. jim jones

jim jones Simracer

The key word is it helps you be more "Consistent" just same as have better pedals , wheel , motion rig etc.

chakko likes this.
  19. Radiantm3

Radiantm3 Hardcore Simmer

If VR is considered cheating, then driving in a real car in real life must be the ultimate form of cheating. No wonder all those pro drivers are so good! :)

20. rpm

rpm Racer

Ok maybe not cheating.

I was thinking that since screens are flat you will always get a skew perspective. As in mathematically. And a skew perspective skrews with your ability to judge corner entry performance in real time.

(skew = The flat screens project a round environment on 3 flat screens at 3 angles with a particular FOV%.)

What for example if the apex is rendered on the A pillar of the multi screen setup. You cant see it properly so you cannot attack it properly.

Anyway interesting comments. I think then mileage may vary. I think it makes the game more fun and since you are having fun you are less bored and thus more alert and therefor faster.

21. Rosko

Rosko Hardcore Simmer

I'd say my new pedals have had a far more significant improvement than VR in regards to lap speed.