1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Are you satisfied with the Unreal engine in simracing?

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by Ace Pumpkin, Jul 10, 2019.

Tags:
?

Are you satisfied with the Unreal engine in simracing?

Poll closed Jul 24, 2019.
  1. Yes

45.1%
  2. No

34.6%
  3. Not decided yet

20.3%
  1. Tundra

Tundra Hardcore Simmer

I got bigger ghosting issues on KartKraft than ACC, and quite worse performance. I haven´t spent much time figuring out decent visual settings though.

2. SimGuy_1

SimGuy_1 Alien

The only thing that is bothering me is that it uses too much resources my cpu & gpu temp are higher than any other modern day sim.
    IMO i would have seriously preferred AC graphics engine with some modifications done to add new features.
    BUT
    I got faith in KUNOS team and so far i'm not disappointed at all and no matter what ACC has set a benchmark for me and i will always remember it as a game changer.

3. mike reynolds

mike reynolds Hardcore Simmer

Works great for me, i7 and 207o and I can run full grids in all conditions and get solid 60fps and 4K with med settings (ultra TAA). My monitor is 60hz so I lock FPS and use vsync to stop screen tearing, always hide the wheel so never notice any input lag.

4. Loren Thomas

Loren Thomas Gamer

As a VR user, currently not satisfied. The lack of decent spatial AA makes the fences a really mess, and no amount of optimizing the TAA by Kunos can fix what is fundamentally a spatial aliasing problem. In practice AC1 or even something like iRacing looks crisper in VR than ACC with my modest 1070 - and I know that people with better hardware have issues too.

Another place UE4 really doesn't do well is the "mirrors" - even though they're just ugly static cameras they still have a horrible effect on FPS.

Not a problem for me but lack of real triple support really sucks for some people. I do think this should have been a requirement when selecting an engine for a racing sim - really you cannot drive properly without triples, VR, or sitting absurdly close to a very wide monitor, and only the third option works well right now.

Given that Kunos have selected UE4, I think they're doing an okay job, not great, not bad, but it does seem like they've had more trouble working with it than they expected (I think they've even admitted as much). Also I suspect the 3D models could be better optimized for racing (not taking screenshots) given the demands of UE4 relative to AC1's engine - this isn't something unique to Kunos though, I even see the same kind of problem in my own job (finite element analysis), we're so spoiled by computing power we're no good at optimizing for those times when we still need to.

On the plus side, I will say that UE4 does look fantastic in terms of the lighting and materials, for pretty much any weather and time of day.

As hardware develops I do think ACC will get where it should be, even for VR. And from that standpoint I imagine that an off-the-shelf engine will be better able to adapt to new capabilities than if Kunos were doing it in-house. I just hope Kunos can continue to develop ACC until we get to that time.

5. No opinion formed, ACC doesn't perform well in its performance among other problems, but KartKraft that also uses Unreal runs much better and with more natural visuals

6. Coanda

Coanda Alien

For me the ghosting is more pronounced on ACC over KK.

7. sirgaric

sirgaric Hardcore Simmer

Yes.

Enviado desde mi ONEPLUS A5010 mediante Tapatalk

Whitestar and jaxx_za like this.
  8. menos | M6

menos | M6 Hardcore Simmer

I do not mind the high power hardware needed to get adequate performance - there is always progress in hardware and what software of a newer generation can do and we have to adapt to that and evolve computers with newer software.

I do mind a lot though the issues the UE4 engine has introduced that are sim racing specific.

Currently two areas are insufficiently solved:

- triple screen support
    The workaround with image warping and resulting dramatic loss in image quality specifically on the center screen is completely inadequate for a modern racing sim.

- Anti Aliasing
    Currently FXAA is completely unusable (it simply does not allow a sufficient removal of jagged edges as it does in other games - such as Assetto Corsa + CM).
    Any of the current temporal AA methods on offer with ACC introduce substantial artifacting which especially in bad visibility conditions (rain) has a very big impact on visibility, immersion and image quality.
    Temporal AA is an ENTIRELY unfit AA method for racing sims indeed and I truly hope for future availability of better AA methods.

These two issues really completely negate the benefits the UE4 engine brings to the table with beautiful new features and graphics.
    I would rather prefer a more outdated 3D engine with less shiny features but with clean, crisp high end detailed sharp image quality instead (Assetto Corsa with Content Manager and CSP does provide this for me currently).

I understand that Kunos needs to move on and evolve the 3D engine into the modern age - unfortunately that decision has created apparently such a surprisingly high workload which is a big part of the high criticism the general public has voiced.

I for one see the positive features of ACC (new, more complex physics features and more detailed simulated features of the vehicle systems) and for me they overwhelmingly outweigh the dramatic price we pay with ACC in performance and (lack of) image quality.
    I love ACC and have the utmost confidence that Kunos (giving their hard working attitude, love for the product and racing and their spotless track record of past releases) will deliver, given sufficient time.

How do you eat an elephant?

9. Berniyh

Berniyh Alien

Keep in mind that ACC (maybe together with Kartkraft) was the first simulation title to be used for the UE4.
    So for them it's a new experience as well.
    And it kind of shows, as there are some features that simracers are used to that are not implemented or took a long time.

The real question here is actually not whether we are satisfied with the decision, but rather if the devs are satisfied.
    Whether they get the support from the engine devs, if their wishes are taken into consideration (and hopefully implemented) for the next releases etc.
    If that is the case ACC will improve considerably and we'll all be happy.
    If not, then ACC could be a dead end (engine-wise).

10. jaxx_za

jaxx_za Hardcore Simmer

VR user here, and yes, I am satisfied. I also believe Kunos made a strategic choice by going the UE4 route, as opposed to developing in house.

ACC may not be perfect right now, but neither was AC in its first year with the in house engine. If we take a longer term view, UE4 opens up a lot more potential for this title to benefit from all the development that is being done to UE4 - something that would be difficult to match with an in house engine and limited resources. Going with UE4 is equivalent to employing a massive Dev team just to focus on the game engine.

I realise that the concern is performance at the moment, but in a year's time as we sunset our older HW (and ACC is further optimised) it will be a non-issue. Besides, there is no guarantee that an in house engine would have performed any better with the weather effects / day night transitions - the performance hit of SOL on AC is a good example of this.

The reason why ACC stands out in terms of immersion is that of UE4 - other titles appear dated in comparison. This is going to prove to be a major selling point going forward. Having a Dev team dedicated to simulation / realism, coupled with a next gen engine like UE4, makes me very excited for the future of SIM racing.

m_box97, Romneyb and Tim Meuris like this.
  11. martcerv

martcerv Alien

TAA is obviously not as good as traditional AA in AC but to say its entirely unfit for a racing sim please explain the issues in these videos.

chksix likes this.
  12. Atak_Kat

Atak_Kat Simracer

I'm not so knowledge technically, so I comment a different way. I voted 'not decided'.

On one hand, there are some ongoing issues I assume related to UE4. Uncharted territory, with a small team of limited resources, is for sure challenging. But I don't really think any of the issues are dramatic and it's just a matter of time. For some users the issues are show-stoppers and everyone has different priorities (as customers). For me, not, I'm pretty happy even as it is now. The only thing I wonder is the longer term future and what customization might be possible (ie. ability to move/customize the hud elements, other apps for the hud, will someone figure out how to introduce some mods?, etc.)

On the other hand, I perceive some very important longer term benefits. Eventual introduction to platform, I assume, is far easier and faster within UE4 (no idea, assuming)?. And the more sales Kunos makes, the better for everyone. The more successful they are as a company, the more resources and investment they can make into improving the features, DLC, whatever else may come. It's a balance, but nothing is free.

Whatever the situation, 100% I will purchase every DLC or expansion that might come available. The fundamental base of the entire game, is so good, it's clear to me.

Romneyb and romandevision like this.
  13. Berniyh

Berniyh Alien

I'm not sure if that comparison is really fair.
    The AC1 engine was highly optimized and spezialized for one job (simracing), explizitely omissing support for features (multiple light sources) that were desired for ACC.
    rF2 is also a very specialized engine that is now about 20(!) years old. And tbh, that's also what it looks like.

Romneyb and stefanoCasillo like this.
  14. but that's a ridiculous statement, I hope you understand that. Considering that in ACC you get (please note I've only left AC in your reply as I can only speak in an informed way of what our games do):

- Realtime ambient occlusion
    - Multiple light sources with casting shadows
    - Realtime screen space reflections (ie. look how nice the car in front looks like reflected in my bonnet)
    - Proper motion blur that works on every object in motion
    - Full 3D trees as opposed to "Y billboard trees"
    - Much better performance scaling when many cars are visible
    - WAAAAY better shadow rendering
    - A lot more stuff I can't think of right now

These are facts. You are talking about 2 different generations of renderers and the difference should be super obvious to the trained eye.

You can totally make the case that all of the above is not worth the performance hit but missing the differences entirely expecting to see the same performance in 2 games so vastly different in rendering technology and use that to make a point is pretty thick.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    vortex19, chksix, th3o and 18 others like this.
  15. untrue
    Gents... do you research before writing nonsense on a public forum... people can read what you write.

bondyboy, Romneyb, Timberwind and 4 others like this.
  16. how I wish I could put a like on this :D :D :D :D :D :D
    ALAS I can't :p

17. Captain Barracuda

Captain Barracuda Hardcore Simmer

I'm finding KartKraft is good until you fixate on the ghosting on the front tyres, but when my eyes are on the action I don't notice it. In ACC it was the hands on the steering wheel but I now drive with it hidden so that's now a non issue for me and of course when replaying in 3rd person view the back of the car gets the ghosting. KTAA fixes this but isn't as good with distant objects. Hopefully the AA is still a work in progress and they eventually achieve a result that removes jaggies, doesn't blur textures and doesn't introduce ghosting.

18. chakko

chakko Alien

I'm sure you guys still have a lot to do with the engine, didn't want to say that. I was just under the impression that the move to UE at least makes things a bit easier.

19. ya that was the plan/hope.. if I think about the man hours that went (and still going) into VR in ACC vs what went into VR in AC I feel like I want to jump from the damn window.. sadly mine is not high enough to guarantee "final damage" :D

20. chakko

chakko Alien

Hehe. I don't know. rF 2 always has been a bit weird. On some tracks, you feel like you're playing F1 1999-2002, on some, it appears like you're playing a modern game. In general, ACC surely looks a lot better, though.

That's also a general complaint i have with rF 2. It just never felt finished to me. Rather like patchwork.