1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Assetto Corsa Competizione - Generic discussion

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by bgil66, Jun 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lawndart

Lawndart Hardcore Simmer

Nah, Stephano and Co know who I am. It was just a shameless plug and only because I'm a fan and want to help them be as successful as possible. I've been in the industry for 24-25 years, developed everything BUT racing sims (does Rock n Roll racing or Carmagedon count?). The irony is I've been racing in motorsports for longer, MX (honda of troy), super bikes (WSMC) and Spec Miata's (SCCA). But even us game devs have our favorite games and can be a bit fan-boyish.

@Michael Hornbuckle Funny, not really, but as you've lived here for YEARS you've seen all my plugs no doubt ;) I recall offering to design a campaign mode, other ports, and even offer to use my company as a proxy Kunos "West" or "US" to get Shephano's family out of the Philippines during a tense time... I forgot about that one until just now.

Andrew_WOT likes this.
  2. Ciccina2016

Ciccina2016 Simracer

last post on this topic.. I promise..
    if you know Stefano why don't you contact him directly instead of posting on this thread?

3. Lawndart

Lawndart Hardcore Simmer

I’ve just been away for awhile, but I suspect you’re newer around here? But the plug was more to lend creadability to the request in the original message and that I’ve got a lot of exp in UE development, knowing it’s a bit newer to Kunos. Followed by a means to potentially support solidifing some uncertainty about console ports as that’s an open ended answer... UE 4 ports are pretty straight forward but my guess is they haven’t looked into it yet.

But I suspect the lack of commitment is due to licensing constraints and the primary SKU launch only a couple weeks before the 2019 season start. In auto racing series, there are a lot of licensing changes each season. But I digress.

Feel free to search my history if you’d like to see some previous banter. If anything formal was to result then this would button up super fast, but I also like to openly guess or predict what Kunos is going to do, as a form of entertainment for them I suppose. So I talk openly in the forum unless otherwise told not to.

4. LeiF

LeiF Alien

Man I loved rock n roll racing, when I first got hold of a genesis emulator in the 2000s that was the first game I looked for :) The fact that it actually spoke to you to tell you how far ahead the leaders were etc was amazing at the time it was released.

Lawndart likes this.
  5. Talkie Toaster

Talkie Toaster Hardcore Simmer

Bit of a dick move jumping on someone like that just for being interested in the development side of things, dude seems friendly enough.

Rock n Roll Racing was epic on the Megadrive back in the day, I can still hear 'Paranoid' in 8-bit lol. Played the living daylights out of Carmageddon too, still do today from time to time :D

6. Lawndart

Lawndart Hardcore Simmer

In recent years I’ve really started to enjoy talking about past projects. It amazes me how many people remember my first game that I was a line producer on at 19 yld called Descent. So many young people still remeber it and times are SO different now. But I’ve worked on most of the biggest IP’s through the mid 90’s until I went independent in 2013.

But I only did what I did as a gamer, we just made the **** we wanted to play... and fortunately so did SO many others.

But back on topic, I don’t have to think to hard about what’s reasonable to expect from ACC 1.0, but knowing UE4, average moders with UE exp could easily use the core game loop to implement the spec series along with the cars, and bring over AC content. But they can also very easily lock moders out, almost inadvertently.

As a fan? I want to fiddle with ACC, but as a dev I might be a bit more conservative and not allow moders to do what we plan as a follow up or DLC diminishing the value of planned premium content. But all I have to go on is Stephano is a “grumpy old dev” and might just do what he thinks is best for the community and that’s what I’m hopping for. 505 isn’t a bad company to work with these days so I’m not worried about them imposing anything too restrictive on Kunos. Steph/lord Kunos will just eat the little producer who tries to anyway.

7. Full_Ninja

Full_Ninja Racer

In my opinion the best version was on snes and I didn't even like Nintendo back then but the soundtrack and sound was so good

8. plaid

plaid Alien

You forgot to mention something.

9. LeiF

LeiF Alien

Wow that looks cool! I also had Descent, was a very nice game, ahead of its time.

10. Lawndart

Lawndart Hardcore Simmer

I’m not involved with that one. But there have been countless clones since but this one looks pretty good. I was going to kickstart a new Descent with the entire Paralax original team, I even rewrote a whole new narrative based on original plans that few knew about. But things got a bit complicated and it had to be abandoned.

11. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

I played Descent 2 a lot and loved it. But we should stop the off-topic in this beautiful thread now.

Lawndart and trucidatio like this.
  12. bgil66

bgil66 Alien

This is awesome!!:D

13. Poguinhas

Poguinhas Alien

[​IMG]
    One question I have about this schedule: Up until the full release, the only content they'll release that was already on AC1 is the Lambo, the Fezza, Monza and Nurburgring. Wouldn't it be easier to just release the content that's already on AC1 and already featured on the gameplay videos? This way, the content that they have already recreated will be the one that will take the longest to be released. The only reason I can imagine for this is that they still want people to buy AC1 to get that content while ACC isn't fully released. Did they already say something about this?

14. Lawndart

Lawndart Hardcore Simmer

This is the best way in development to remove risk later in the dev cycle. Lots of AC 1 content will be overhaul also to import into the UE4 engine, add the flag marshals, new billboards, removing any static shadows for the day/night transitions, the wet mesh layers, etc. not too hard, just laborious. It might also be fair to say to appeal to the AC 1 audience they will want to see something newer and that invites them to get on board early with the early access build.

15. BrunUK

BrunUK Alien

Limiting the content makes it much easier to deal with feedback because it reduces the variables.

16. Tberg

Tberg Alien

seco46, LeDude83, pons and 2 others like this.
  17. magzire

magzire Alien

So will ACC have better gfx than PCAR2? Once it doesn't have bad AA like pcars2, its already winning imo

18. Lawndart

Lawndart Hardcore Simmer

Pcars2 and AC have different art styles. AC tends to be more muted and sedate, giving it a more authentic look and does quite well considering it only has a single light source (sun).

Pcars is more vivid and bright, with an almost subtle cartoonish pop. But with more lighting and this helps balance out the looks with contrast.

ACC will retain the AC palette but will have more dynamic lights than AC so it should look more realistic than AC ever could, but the two will look a bit closer to each other.

The hardest part about athletics in a game with dynamic lighting is ensuring things look great in all lighting conditions. Pcars2 “cartoonish” really stands out on a heavy cloudy day. ACC should be easier to balance.

Note: I’ve always been impressed with how good AC can look with so few lights. A bit of bloom and HDR will be pretty amazing. Both supported in UE4.

Sir Simon, nate and magzire like this.
  19. gandlers

gandlers Hardcore Simmer

The question you should be asking is how ACC will drive compared to PCars2.
    Considering AC was already streets ahead, ACC should widen the gap (significantly).

magzire and LeDude83 like this.
  20. ShredatorFIN

ShredatorFIN Alien

pCars 2 graphics are wildly inconsistent. Some tracks in some conditions look great (and realistic), some look quite bad. And the AA is very bad (except the insanely costly ones)

ACC has better graphics across the board imo, more consistent. We've seen many tracks and all times of day, none of them look bad. There doesn't seem to be weak points/weak looking lighting circumstances, unlike pCars 2.

But I don't agree with the whole "more restrained look of sim X is more realistic than pCars 2" real life can look very colorful, vivid, bright, dark and million things between. Not that pCars 2 captures that nature of reality either. But skies IRL can look very surreal and over-the-top in certain sunset conditions and what not. Sim racers often tend to think bland graphics are part of sims, saw someone complain in YouTube how "ACC needs to get rid of Spa fireworks" because it "looks arcade" lmao

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018