1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Assetto Corsa Competizione - Generic discussion

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by bgil66, Jun 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thomas Gocke

Thomas Gocke Alien

2. chuky

chuky Alien

Offtopic but if you like physics or science fiction, you may be interrested in a physics model called "modèle de Janus" in french, in which it's not the speed of light that's a constant, it's something like G/c² where G is the constant of gravity, and near the big bang G and c were not constants. I've just heard about it this summer and I didn't dig too much in yet. Videos and articles explaining it are mostly in french I think but it's been around since 1967.

In this model there are 2 universes, in the other one masses are negative and I think time is going backwards too. In our universe galaxies are clustering together and emptiness is also clustering, so in the other universe there should be a lot of negative mass in this place. The model is an extension of general relativity and there's a list of things that this model answers.

In a video I watched, the man explaining it said a cool thing about this model is there are 2 speeds of light, our speed of light and another speed of light that's 10 times faster. Maybe that's the speed that Porsche is going.

chksix and Lawndart like this.
  3. Rudski

Rudski Alien

I wouldn't put too much time reading into this model because it contradicts many known observations that fit into the standard cosmological model. For example the CMBR confirms many things that were predicted in the standard model and the Janus model does not.
    The Janus model doesn't predict inflation which is a very successful theory that predicted many things and later on through experiments proved to be correct.
    If you're interested in cosmology stick to the mainstream to avoid being confused by unproven theories, the subject is already difficult without the "alternative" theories.

4. cpcdem

cpcdem Rookie

I think the speed of light is always constant, no matter if it's in vacuum or not. What changes when it passes through air for example is that it still travels at the same speed, but from time to time it (photons) get(s) absorbed by air atoms, which very shortly emit it again as new photons. So there's a very small slowdown of the overall speed we observe caused by this re-transmission of "new" light, but the speed of travel of light itself remains the same as in vacuum. Well, here's my first post in this forum, hope it is technically correct :)

Rudski likes this.
  5. Lawndart

Lawndart Hardcore Simmer

I remember late night crunch times in the mid 90’s contemplating team members whether light had matter and if you traveled at the speed of light if you’d collide into it, rendering the means to physically travel at that speed impossible. Well, more elementary logic won, an object in motion stays in motion etc etc. and many years later it was confirmed, but the basics still applied.

6. cpcdem

cpcdem Rookie

Heh, indeed an interesting thing to consider! Although IIUC, the main problem with traveling at that speed is that once an object approaches the speed of light, its mass gets increased massively, making it harder and harder to give it more speed, since bigger and bigger amounts of energy are required to accelerate it, until there's no practical way to give it any more boost. Light gets away with this because it is considered not to have any mass at all :)

Lawndart likes this.
  7. gandlers

gandlers Hardcore Simmer

Well you are entitled to have your own opinion... but:
    the speed of light is effected by the medium it passes through otherwise refraction wouldn't occur when light travels from one medium to another; lenses wouldn't work and there would be no rainbows. (to give a couple of examples)

The Speed of light is effected by the refractive index of the medium it is passing through.
    The refractive index of a medium is also effected by the temperature, so outside of a vacuum. the speed of light is VERY variable.

It goes a whole lot deeper than that if your brain can cope, mine started to hurt after 10 minutes of my bother trying to explain some of this stuff.
    There are even arguments now in the scientific community that light may not even travel at a constant speed in vacuum but I had to tell him to stop talking at that point.

Georg Siebert likes this.
  8. Tberg

Tberg Alien

Aaand back to Competizione, please :)

Have a nice day!

hristo1026 and D.Jankovic like this.
  9. gandlers

gandlers Hardcore Simmer

Yes, sorry. :oops:

4 weeks today.
    T Minus 28 days.

anticipation rising...

10. Rudski

Rudski Alien

@gandlers, As you said, you are entitled to have your own opinion but not facts.

I stole this from another site because it was worded very well for EVERYONE to understand. I attempted to give you a reply but I started getting technical and that wouldn't help you or anyone reading this.

Photons don't slow down in water. Photons travels at the same speed as always. While passing through a medium, photons collide with the particles of the medium and either gets absorbed and emitted again or gets distracted from their original path.
    If photons are absorbed and emitted again, then some time is consumed by photons to get absorbed and then to be emitted again. Due to this delay, the total time taken by the photons to cross the medium increases. Speed of photons didn't decrease in this case.
    If photons are distracted from their original path, the total distance traveled by the photons to cross the medium increases. Due to this increase in distance, light takes more time to cross the medium. This produces an illusion of light slowing down in a denser medium, because we assumes that light traveled in a straight line. Actually, it is the distance that increased, speed didn't decreased.
    In any medium, the speed of any photon is 299,792,458 m/s.
    In a nutshell, what you see is the average speed that's being affected; the speed of light remains absolute.

11. elchshooter

elchshooter Hardcore Simmer

All secrets of the universe unveiled in the assetto corsa competizione general discussions thread. Should be renamed into "universal discussions"

12. DuckeyTapey

DuckeyTapey Hardcore Simmer

ACC better implement the speed of light or it'll be a no buy from me.

13. Epistolarius

Epistolarius Alien

14. Epistolarius

Epistolarius Alien

You can argue that the speed of light isn't constant if you want but I'd love to know how it's "diminishing" or "ending" in your opinion. Personally I see no issue in the sentence, besides, I was more interested in UE4 engine tech used for automotive applications and seeing how real-time ray tracing seems to be within reach for games. You know, something that's somewhat related to Kunos developing games with UE4.

15. bgil66

bgil66 Alien

So glad ACC is not Vaporware:p

16. Skybird

Skybird Alien

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

elchshooter likes this.
  17. mms

mms Alien

I have no idea what are you talking about, it's not my opinion, I just made a screenshot from that video with subtitles on to show LeiF where this subject came from...

LeiF likes this.
  18. Epistolarius

Epistolarius Alien

19. Lawndart

Lawndart Hardcore Simmer

I’d love to say let’s get back on topic but there just isn’t much to say about ACC, I think we’re all sort of assuming that ACC will be a 1.5 AC wrapped into a series licenses clearly focused on GT3... and there isn’t anything new and robust in the featureset that we are curious enough about yet due to a lack of details, like career mode, season structure, etc. you can only do so much with racing games... licenses are more like wrappers than game changers.

So... Porsche... speed of light... cool? Hmm ;)

20. Turk

Turk Alien

I bet Microsoft don't have to put up with this kind of talk on the Forza forums. :D

rlatte, D.Jankovic and mms like this.