1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory.
  2. FOR ASSETTO CORSA COMPETIZIONE: If you report issues with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder!
  3. If your game executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, then run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether.

Assetto Corsa Competizione - RayTracing confirmed?

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by Deatroy, Aug 17, 2018.

1. Epistolarius

Epistolarius Alien

The GPUs are a marketing stunt because one part of the tech isn't mature enough yet? That's ignoring everything else about the hardware, like that there's just no AMD counterpart on the high end. Even taking RTX away entirely there's just no clear-cut case for AMD above a certain budget/in a certain target market.

Besides, you're talking about two completely different things. Games with rasterisation that utilise RTX cores for raytraced effects like reflections or shadows, which absolutely has the potential to run fairly performant on that dedicated hardware (which AMD in my opinion should work on too), versus that Quake implementation where everything on screen is rendered via raytracing, which obviously is far more demanding. The latter is more of a tech demo for what the future of rendering holds.

2. There is potential in this tech, for sure. But ripping 1200 bucks from people by raising hopes for raytracing capabilities, which don't exist at the moment at the software side of things, is not the way to go imo. And Nvidia already said that theses "effects" you mentioned, can be implemented by driver support for non-RTX cards. For sure the cards with RTX will perform better in this scenario, that's what their purpose is, but right now, I see absolutely no reason to buy such stuff. That's my personal opinion, feel free to disagree.

3. Epistolarius

Epistolarius Alien

Everyone has a choice to not buy into it, nobody is forced to be an early adopter of that tech. Buy an older card (like the 1080 Ti), one of the lower end RTX ones (that offer the usual generational plus in perf regardless of RTX), or an AMD alternative, or wait a year -- there's choices. Also... at a certain price point like the $1200 you mention the cost really isn't all that relevant anymore. It's not going to make that much of a difference on top the rest of the high-end hardware (probably with a custom watercooling loop that in itself costs something approaching a grand) and peripherals used for simracing, especially if someone wants to drive a VR HMD (which is also a demanding product for early adopters with people complaining about performance...).

It's unfortunate that RTX was introduced the way it was and is a proprietary implementation, because raytracing as a whole has immense potential. But it is what it is, it's a start and eventually we should see more affordable hardware and better, more wide-reaching implementations. We'll see.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
  4. th3o

th3o Simracer

I am excited about the potential of RTX but not at all about the current implementation in the games and/or the performance put out by the fastest card. If i have to choose (and i do have to choose) in 1440p resolution between 60fps with raytracing or 120+fps without it, then it's a no brainer what i choose. When we will be at the point where raytracing puts out the same performance numbers as we have now without it, then i am all for it. Until then, i pass.

[RSR] Shepard likes this.